• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have one over my woodstove...
That is on my "wish list"... I so want a woodstove in the living room and pipe it out through the fireplace. Unfortunately, every woodstove I find is out of my budget. I do keep an eye on craigslist for a used one, but have never found one.
I really can't justify spending a large amount of money on a woodstove, as it really doesn't get that cold here and I'd only use it a few weeks a year.
I made my heat exchanger from scraps of black iron pipe and leftover dryer vent pipe. The wood I burn is just scraps from trimming my trees. Nothing all that large or anything that would need to be split, but if I found a small wood stove (used), I would totally try it!!

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Expensive now due to the Cali emissions laws and the EPA rules. I don't believe its even legal to sell and older woodstove in this state that doesnt have a computerized control and catalytic converter. I have made it a point to collect old stoves whenever I find them (usually at estate sales and some moving sales).
The one I am using to heat the house is a 1974 Better-N-Bens fireplace insert stove (sits most inside a fireplace but has two legs in front to hold it up at the door). So its a bit undersized to heat a 2000 sf house, but I was able to keep the house at 55 degrees F while it was -5F outside last weekend (with a 30 mph wind.)
Much depends on the wood type as well, I am burning Hickory and Ash now (mostly Ash) as the Ash Beetles have killed all the Ash trees, so they are standing dead. I prefer Locust or Oak for heat, both burn extremely hot. I have another double door freestanding stove in the barn which I use occasionally when I want to work out there (its where the tablesaw and chopsaw live so plenty of wood scraps are consumed). There is also a fireplace in the house, but we only use that in emergencies or for ambience as its not very efficient, I have cedar logs in a separate part of the woodpile for that. In an average winter we burn 8-9 cords of wood, so wood gathering is an all season event around here. I also used to have a "barrel stove" which is made from a steel 55 gallon drum, you can buy the door and exhaust kit for it and it heats very well, but doesnt hold the heat well due to the thinner skin of the barrel.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also used to have a "barrel stove" which is made from a steel 55 gallon drum, you can buy the door and exhaust kit for it and it heats very well, but doesnt hold the heat well due to the thinner skin of the barrel.
Yes... I looked into one of those barrel stove conversion kits. I like the concept, but (I read) they are for garages or barns and aren't supposed to be used in the home (at least the ones I saw). I also wanted something smaller than a barrel stove, preferably something flat & rectangle in shape.
I didn't know about the EPA rules. I guess that is why we have a web-site (here) where I have to check to see if its a "no-burn" day or not.
It sounds like it gets much colder in your neck of the woods. I don't think we hit 32 (F) at night (this year), as there weren't any "freeze warnings" for plants.
Personally, I have a couple mesquite trees in my yard that require attention from time to time, especially after a rain storm. I save all of the wood (larger than my thumb). In addition to burning that wood for heat, I have a little hibachi grill that I use to cook hamburgers, steaks, etc. The mesquite wood is perfect for that chore, as well.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to check to see if its a "no-burn" day or not.
I don't want to take a side on the EPA thing, but ya know, things have changed.

At the place in Washington state where I grew up, it used to smell very nice when someone burned wood for heat. But something has changed since the 1960's. Either it got too crowded in Washington, modern chemicals have infiltraited the wood, or I got more sensitive. It smells toxic to me now. Something on top of the regular wood/smoke smell.

I'm frankly terrified to live in close quarters with people who burn wood in the winter. Kent Washington was often a choking mater for me. Thanksgiving, Christmas day, Jan1, a horror story. I won't miss that.

I'm not at all surprised that micro-plastics are being found in all plants, animals and even human flesh, all over the world. Even in frozen snow. How much maters? I have no clue, but it's there. Maybe I can smell it, I doeno.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the smell of wood smoke, even burning leaves. Nearest neighbor is probably 250ft away across the street, 500ft behind me, rest are down the road 500ft. I have a brushpile I have been building all year thats ready to torch, its about 20ft around and 12ft high, just waiting for some snow cover to light that one up.
Sam - if you look at new stoves (online) you will see the references to the regulations they are made to. And yes, I wouldnt use a barrel stove in a house (unless an emergency), mostly because the heat radiated from the sides carries quite far, and a hot fire can make the metal glow red. I have 3 spare Kerosun heaters for inside heat emergencies. BTW, Locust wood smells awful when it burns. I also have apple I use in the smoker.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@AriLea I'm sorry to hear about your condition, but (personally) I'm just sick and tired of rules, laws and regulations. Enough already... Between the government passing new laws and my stupid HOA passing new rules, I've had it. I just want to be left alone, there is no need to control every aspect of everything.

@Hog -- Thank you again for the information. I do know as I age, I'll be unable to trim my trees and keep the wood. I'll keep my eye out for a smaller used wood stove, but if my little dream of having a wood stove never comes to fruition, I'll be fine.

Reactions: Hog

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's starting to warm up here and I started working on my Evaporative Cooler for the season. It won't be long before I'll need to turn it on.
Upon doing my initial inspection, I found a small rust hole (on the outside) of the water tank or wet section. I'm thinking about using some "JB Weld Water Weld" on this small hole. I'm also thinking about putting some rust converter on the area around the rust hole.
Anyone have any experience with JB Weld Water Weld or Rust Converter??
*** As a side note *** I don't drink from this tank area, it only holds water for the purpose of keeping the pads wet for evaporation (making cold air).

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JB Weld...Good stuff! Rust converter [POR15]...also great stuff. My niece had a rusted out evaporator coil pan that was leaking all over the place, well beyond a JB Weld and rust converter repair. If you've got time, and the tank is removable or easily accessed, I'd recommend what I did with the 'A' coil pan. Get one of the fiberglass kits [polyester resin] and put 3 or so coats of fiberglass over the leaking area after removing as much rust as you can, and put converter on the rest of the rust. I ended up fabbing a mold out of wood for my niece's pan so it was a bit more involved, but she'll never have to worry about a leaking evap coil pan again. Just my $0.02.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@NSTG8R and @Hog Thank you for your responses. Yes, I ended up using the JB Weld and rust converter (2 coats) and 2 coats of rust-oleum primer on top of the affected area. I guess time will tell if it will hold.

If it doesn't work, I'll fab up a patch panel out of sheet metal and use some automotive seam sealer to "glue" it in.

I can buy a new "wet section" for $600 so if all else fails, I'll "bite the bullet" and buy a new section, but for now it looks good and should hold for a while.

Top Bottom