• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
AriLea hey I still live in WA state and you can still burn, but you have to do it right, when I lived in West Seattle I had a 4500 sq ft shop and heated it with a wood stove just a little one but it had this BIG 1/4" steel plate behind it, that's the trick you heat that steel plate and I just radiates, it was big
4 1/2 foot tall and 4' on one side 3' on the other, that little wood stove only needed to run 1 to 2 hours and would keep the shop warm all day.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
>you can still burn
My problem with that could be age or allergy related, or as you said, too many people at the time were not burning correctly. Certainly, if they are making too much CO (vs CO2), that would likely be worse for me. It was much worse for my wife. Given her other allergies, well, that's why we went to Phoenix.

That was then. These days Phoenix, apparently, is the 9th worst for polution in US cities. At least it's not muggy wet, which is a big problem for my wife. Positive/negative ion levels are probably a driving factor for her. Positive is of course where polution sits. Wet weather fronts push that down to the ground until they leave, and it will then rebound into negative at ground level very often. You know, how it smells nice after a rain? Yep, negative ions.

Speaking of Ions and DIY projects. I wanted to try a sound making fountain, that maybe could help with the ion thing too. While the water is clean, they will do that. So the image below, just three squarish bowls, water cooler pump, a catch bin, and side walls and back. The enclosed cupped enclosure is more important than you might think.

The idea was to generate as many random, interesting, frequencies as possible in a cheap, simple configuration. Well it worked, too well actually. It was so loud that it was only suitible for a large space. Almost could not hear yourself talk when in a medium sized room. So much better to have in a back yard or patio.

1680629035774.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our cat would love that.
lol, in that case, put some gold fish in there and a chair next to it with a padded seat. Then you will always know where to find her.

Cats love creature comforts. The sound, the motion, the serenity, the fish, even the negative ions. Yep perfect. Even better with a carpeted cat tree rather than the chair. And near an outside window.

Cats also like company, so sit with her too. Meyow! (and have a conversation)

.... side note: My dad wanted to find out if he could get the last word in with our Seal-Point Siamese, Toy, who always answered if you talked 'at' her.
He would say or noise something 'to her', and she would give either long or short answers, at most on a 0-5 second delay. (She always knew if you are talking 'to her') After 2 hours, he gave up.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, ours is very talkative and understands quite a bit. He was raised with a pit bull and acts more like a dog than a cat, even fetches balls that I throw and brings them back. Probably because he saw the dog do it. Very loud walker as well, never learned to slink around like a cat, thumps all over the house.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guest bathroom has been an ongoing project (as I get money). I tiled the the shower walls and re-coated the tub last year. This spring/summer I'm re-floating the walls (back to smooth). Personally, I don't like textured walls or ceilings. This is an older home and textured walls don't look right. Pictures are before, work in progress and the wall I just finished (which is ready for primer).
Before.JPG

Work_in_progress.JPG

Finished_Wall.JPG

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey!! looks just like my bathroom (along with the bedrooms, and all other painted rooms in this house, same internal door, etc.) but my house was built in 2002. Door hinges are different but I changed them all over the last 5 years, now all brass with black accents (I liked those so much more)

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
but my house was built in 2002.
This particular house was built in 1979. It's OK, just doesn't have a lot of character.

I refurbished a house back East that was built in 1919. I tried to keep it as original as possible but updated all of the heating, electrical and plumbing. That house had character -- and beautiful woodworking throughout. When completed it was beautiful... and sold within two weeks.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fixed it all up to sell, but ex wife took it.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I've never been married, but was engaged once. We were living together and that woman tried to tell me what to do with MY house before we even got married, so I broke it off. There were other problems but that was the "straw that broke the camel's back".

Top Bottom