• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Do I Need A Second Car?

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know that when my Elio gets here I will have a few big decisions to make. I currently have 5 licensed vehicle. I will, in all likelihood get rid of two. I know I will keep my Pleasure Way motorhome and the Elio (depending on how things work out with it). I have a 2008 MX5 retractable hardtop convertible with only 19,000 miles on it. It's been my baby for a long time and has always had a spot in the garage. There is nothing like driving a sports car with the top down on a warm summer evening. My scooter (2003 Burgman 400) has performed flawlessly. I have around 18,000 miles on it and it too provides a unique driving experience. My 2007 Civic Coupe serves as my ever day driver and has the best chance of saying good bye when the Elio arrives. It too is a fantastic car and a lot of fun to drive. I guess you can say I like all aspects of the driving experience. So when all is said and done I guess I will end up with two wheels, three wheel, four wheels and a mobile house to drive around in. Perhaps it's time to look into seeing someone for this driving addiction thing. Guess I just need a bigger garage.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know that when my Elio gets here I will have a few big decisions to make. I currently have 5 licensed vehicle. I will, in all likelihood get rid of two. I know I will keep my Pleasure Way motorhome and the Elio (depending on how things work out with it). I have a 2008 MX5 retractable hardtop convertible with only 19,000 miles on it. It's been my baby for a long time and has always had a spot in the garage. There is nothing like driving a sports car with the top down on a warm summer evening. My scooter (2003 Burgman 400) has performed flawlessly. I have around 18,000 miles on it and it too provides a unique driving experience. My 2007 Civic Coupe serves as my ever day driver and has the best chance of saying good bye when the Elio arrives. It too is a fantastic car and a lot of fun to drive. I guess you can say I like all aspects of the driving experience. So when all is said and done I guess I will end up with two wheels, three wheel, four wheels and a mobile house to drive around in. Perhaps it's time to look into seeing someone for this driving addiction thing. Guess I just need a bigger garage.
Jayne, at this point, what's one more! :) Add a lean-to on the garage, and enjoy all 6!:D

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Go for the bigger garage.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Double Trouble, unless they each had an Elio.............. :D
I'm reading this, wearing my Dubble Trubble shirt!
1052457798_e1ce63ef3d_b.jpg

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have four, currently. My daily driver is the 2007 Honda Fit and my wife's is a 2006 Toyota Matrix. I also have a 1992 Miata (previous daily driver) and a 1972 240Z that I've had for years. The tenative plan once the Elio is available is to sell the Honda, the Miata and the Z and buy a somewhat newer Miata and an Elio. We'll retain the Toyota for when we need to use the small trailers or haul my wife's folks around. The "plan" is flexible, so changes are possible. :-)
(And if there's any cash left over, I'm thinking of a small vertical milling machine for my shop!)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being retired,,just the wife and me, I am now thinking about getting rid of the '12 Focus. I was thinking that I would just rent a car on those occasions when I need a bigger car. No insurance on the other car, more room in the garage and I don't have to keep it clean and maintained.

The only down side I see is if the need for a bigger car were to come up suddenly.

Second level information, my wife can't drive, due to vision issue.

In the last 4 years I have become "semi" retired and we have slimmed it all down to 1 motorhome, 1 car and 1 motorcycle...that's about as "lean" as we are going to get :D

My Elio will replace my motorcycle :p

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In today's world almost everyone needs two cars. What if your car breaks down when there is an emergency, what about the times your car may stay in the repair shop for a couple days and what about the times your spouse is gone in the car and you have no way to go if something came up.
It's all about managing risk, isn't it? Car broke down? Rent one, call a friend, take a bus... I, personally, pay for a spare year round on the off chance that something comes up and I need it. It's like buying Snowmobiles... They are fun when there is snow on the ground but if there isn't, you are just paying for, maintaining, insuring something unecessarily. The second car isn't a necessity but it is nice to have. When my wife's Explorer got a little too close to the stopped vehicle in front of her, it was down for repairs for a month. It took USAA about 30 minutes to secure a replacement loaner for her (same year Explorer even but with better options).

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's all about managing risk, isn't it? Car broke down? Rent one, call a friend, take a bus... I, personally, pay for a spare year round on the off chance that something comes up and I need it. It's like buying Snowmobiles... They are fun when there is snow on the ground but if there isn't, you are just paying for, maintaining, insuring something unecessarily. The second car isn't a necessity but it is nice to have. When my wife's Explorer got a little too close to the stopped vehicle in front of her, it was down for repairs for a month. It took USAA about 30 minutes to secure a replacement loaner for her (same year Explorer even but with better options).

Again, I started this thread, I have a special situation my wife can't drive. I have lots of close neighbors for a sudden emergency.

I am really just weighing the costs of keeping (insurance, plates routine maint. and an asset sitting and depreciating) vs. renting a car for those times (6-8 per year).

I don't think an Elio is the best only car for most people. Might work for a single person in an area with high cost parking.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think an Elio is the best only car for most people. Might work for a single person in an area with high cost parking.

sounds logical to me .... it seems to me that the group of folks for whom an Elio may present a better choice as an only vehicle would be those whose only vehicle is a motorcycle

Jim

Top Bottom