• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Does The Government Really Care How Much Gas We Burn?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You do not remember correctly.

The most popular car traded in during "cash for clunkers" was the Ford Explorer. The most popular car purchased under the program was the Toyota Corolla.

The average fuel economy for trade-ins was 15.8 MPG, and the average fuel economy for cars bought was 24.9 MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now imagine the elio replacing said clunkers without the help of government subsidies AND a 70-80 mpg rating.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about instead of paying Billions to the banks and auto industry, they pay off the mortgage and auto loans of the American people. Wouldn't that have gone straight to the Banks And Auto industry? Thereby giving the American people more cash to use elsewhere???
How about just not stealing the money from the people who earned it in the first place. The government should not be paying anyone anything.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You do not remember correctly.

The most popular car traded in during "cash for clunkers" was the Ford Explorer. The most popular car purchased under the program was the Toyota Corolla.

The average fuel economy for trade-ins was 15.8 MPG, and the average fuel economy for cars bought was 24.9 MPG.

All cash for clunkers did is take perfectly good cars out of the used car pool causing prices to rise. It also paid people who were in the market for a new car anyway . It was a huge waste of taxpayers money.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about just not stealing the money from the people who earned it in the first place. The government should not be paying anyone anything.

You think taxes are the government stealing your money? Does that mean you feel like you are trespassing on public roads?

aahz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
K, I gotta chime in here. I don't mind paying taxes, that's a constant for us here in the U.S. But I do mind the rich wiggling outta paying their fair share. If you make $25000 or 10000000 you should pay your share. The biggest problem ( I think ) is the rich have too many ways to get out of paying their share. Thereby leaving the Lions share to be paid by the middle class and below!
Am I wrong? ?

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
K, I gotta chime in here. I don't mind paying taxes, that's a constant for us here in the U.S. But I do mind the rich wiggling outta paying their fair share. If you make $25000 or 10000000 you should pay your share. The biggest problem ( I think ) is the rich have too many ways to get out of paying their share. Thereby leaving the Lions share to be paid by the middle class and below!
Am I wrong? ?

No, you're not.

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't believe those below middle class are paying much of the Lion's share.
Any and all ethical or policy arguments notwithstanding, as someone below the middle class, I can attest that this statement is more or less correct, in broad strokes. In fact, over the last few years my income tax due has been little enough that I'd be willing to bet that the state of Illinois and the federal government spent more on processing my payments and storing the records than it was worth to either of them.

That's also without me making use of any public assistance despite qualifying for a menagerie of publicly funded programs, which would affect the net exchange for many, too, and it's not as though I'm paying a sum in property tax, either.

It only gets sticky if we discuss sales tax and flat fees, and even then only if specifically evaluated as a proportion of income. That being said, I'm a miser-of-necessity with those, too, so I probably pay less there as well.

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You think taxes are the government stealing your money? Does that mean you feel like you are trespassing on public roads?

Yes, they are taking far more than they need. Do you like them paying for things like $2 billion so people can have a free phone and internet? Or the National Institutes of Health spent $330,000 to study the lifestyle and health of men who have sex with men and transgender persons in Peru. The government steals far too much and spends it to enrich people who keep them in office.

Reactions: Sam

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you feel the same about the government being in the banking business by providing low interest ATVM loans to high risk vehicle startups?

Top Bottom