• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will sitting in the "center" , and not left of center, make passing more difficult in an Elio?
Ok, so having driven a reverse trike just a little, I can say you guys missed one point. The Elio has a very narrow butt.
This means you can run tighter into corners and cutoff quicker in passing, or have more safety clearance.
So yes, sort of.. Sitting in the center gave you that more narrow rear and duplicate clearance on each side.
You can also have a better sense of presence sitting in the center or gravity and that may help your sense of space.
Admittedly you'll be more off from the driver side to judge distance down a line, but you see that side more clearly than a 4 wheeler.
(as usual for me, possibly too much information)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Will sitting in the "center" , and not left of center, make passing more difficult in an Elio?

Hi Cedartick, welcome to the forum! You are right, passing will take a bit more skill in the Elio. If you get stuck behind a big semi on a 2-lane road, you'll have to be back from it quite a ways to be able to safely move left to see around the semi.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing about the Elio is if you are one of those that ride the rear bumper of the vehicle in front of you and pull out to pass and see a car coming all you have to move back out of the the way is a fender. Not like a big car or truck where when you jerk the wheel back you still have the rest of the vehicle in line of fire for oncoming traffic.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Best center seating car ever.
f1interior.jpg

Anion

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi Cedartick, welcome to the forum! You are right, passing will take a bit more skill in the Elio. If you get stuck behind a big semi on a 2-lane road, you'll have to be back from it quite a ways to be able to safely move left to see around the semi.

This hit the nail on the head... Having driven a 3 wheel vehicle for over 4 years, you will adapt quickly and LEARN the right moves. Just give plenty of room, be cautious and assume that nobody else on the road can see you or knows that you even exist! :D

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
100 Percent Situational awareness plus 360 degrees view at all times are the strongest aspects of motor vehicle safety in my opinion. ( ok knock off the 15 degrees missing from the rear) Sitting lower in traffic is somewhat a compromised In the Elio. It's bad enough to be vision blocked by a simi or even a delivery truck but if I'm not going to be able to see over some old lady driving large sedan I might just loose my cool a little. I'm wondering if the Elio can see over a Mini Cooper?

Surprisingly I also find a Garmen or any GPS an added safety feature in that it allows for anticipation of road bend especially in bad weather or at night. Also minimizing the preoccupation of scowling for the next turnoffs especially at night and unfamiliar locations.
I've never driven a really low sports car. Perhaps those with more experienced in smaller sports type cars can give a better critique.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are stuck behind a semi and can't see around it or of course over it. But how about under it? A camera on a sort of reverse periscope could be lowered a bit from the front of the Elio and you could theoretically see under the truck and zoom in on what is ahead of you, making a safe pass possible. Another option to include in the Elio package!

Top Bottom