• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you cannot see around the vehicle in front of you and the openness of the road ahead you should not attempt to pass. If you drop back just a little you would be able to see by having a better angle, I ran into this problem when driving my Jeep in the UK. Although it was worse though becuase I was driving around on the completly wrong side sitting in the gutter. It did make parallel parking easier being closer to the curbside of the car. I don't think it will be a problem after a few drives you will get used to it.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this, and I'm struggling a bit with the words to describe what I'm thinking of here, so bear with me, OK? With the long dimension of the Elio being set back from the front wheels, I'm wondering about other driver's perception of distance between the side of their car vis a vis the side of an Elio alongside. How much attention will they pay to the front wheel being extended out towards them, when the side of the Elio will most likely be the other driver's major visual reference of "where the Elio is" during a quick glance in relation to them before they attempt to change lanes or do other maneuvers in heavy traffic. Are you folks following me? Could any of the folks that drive current generation three wheelers chime in on this, or offer a more cogent description? o_O

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this, and I'm struggling a bit with the words to describe what I'm thinking of here, so bear with me, OK? With the long dimension of the Elio being set back from the front wheels, I'm wondering about other driver's perception of distance between the side of their car vis a vis the side of an Elio alongside. How much attention will they pay to the front wheel being extended out towards them, when the side of the Elio will most likely be the other driver's major visual reference of "where the Elio is" during a quick glance in relation to them before they attempt to change lanes or do other maneuvers in heavy traffic. Are you folks following me? Could any of the folks that drive current generation three wheelers chime in on this, or offer a more cogent description? o_O
It's a good question, and one that has been brought up before. I don't recall if it was ever answered well. I have thought about it a lot, tho. I guess the answer that comes to mind is...It shouldn't matter that the Elio has "outriggers". It shouldn't matter if you are on a motorcycle on the far side of the lane. When you "occupy" that lane, no one has the right to "share" it with you.
"Lane sharing" or "Lane splitting"
(IIRC) is only legal in California.
Running lights on those fenders might be good idea, :) But an air horn will definitely be on my Elio. ;)

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out just how far the tires stick out from the the body .... per Elio Motors' website, Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (center rim to center rim) .... from the center of the rim to the outside of the front fender ???" .... I can't find a measurement listing how wide the body is .... from looking at photographs of the P4, it appears that the distance from the body to the outside of the tire fender could be a couple of feet or so .... anyone have access to any factor specs ?

Jim

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out just how far the tires stick out from the the body .... per Elio Motors' website, Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (center rim to center rim) .... from the center of the rim to the outside of the front fender ???" .... I can't find a measurement listing how wide the body is .... from looking at photographs of the P4, it appears that the distance from the body to the outside of the tire fender could be a couple of feet or so .... anyone have access to any factor specs ?

Jim
Print out a head on picture of an Elio.
Lay another piece of paper on the picture half way up the tires.
Mark center rim to center rim.
Take that space and divide it in sections. The more sections you have, the more accurate your ruler will be.
Divide the total number sections on your ruler into 67.
Now you have the distance between each section line.
Lay your ruler on the body or any thing you wish to measure and count the number of sections and multiply that by the width of one section, put this only works on every third Tuesday.
Or you can do it the easy way and use a ruler marked in mm, divide the mm's into 67 and multiply that answer by the number of mm you have for the width of the body.
Or you can say p#ss on this, it's not worth knowing. :)

Top Bottom