• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yea, I can imagine a lot of us with 40+ years of driving a left hand drive will be trying to center ourselves in the left tire tracks. Oncoming traffic will see a cute little fender about a foot or two in their lane sticking out. I think it will take a little adjustment, but like learning to mow with a zero-turn, it becomes second nature fairly quick.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I teach my kids to drive, I have them sit behind the wheel and look at the white line on the side of the road. Then, I have them look to see where the white line intersects the windshield wiper and tell them that lets you know that you are in the middle of the lane. When you start driving in your Elio, move to the left without crossing over, see where the center line intersects on a point on the car and then move to the right and do the same and memorize the points. This will help till your brain learns where the car should be without thinking about it. JMO
Good idea Craig. Thanks for the tip. :-) Z

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I can imagine a lot of us with 40+ years of driving a left hand drive will be trying to center ourselves in the left tire tracks. Oncoming traffic will see a cute little fender about a foot or two in their lane sticking out. I think it will take a little adjustment, but like learning to mow with a zero-turn, it becomes second nature fairly quick.
That adjustment isn't as hard as one might imagine. I have been driving 50+ years. Many years ago I drove Formula Vee's, an open wheel racer and it is so easy to mark your road position by observing the front tires. Now, while the elio is not open wheel, the fender outside the body configuration is close.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having never driven a three wheel car I was actually curious if there would be an unusual effect having the rear centered trailing wheel riding the crown of the road? Especially if you are tracking the front wheels slightly left or right of the lane. I doubt it would be a major issue but having driven a motorcycle for 20+ years you learn to be more observant of the lane and its shape. Just a thought, now back to running over critters.
I will keep my distance from you ! ;)

Carolyn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Having lived in the Great Lakes area for most of my life, I am well experienced with driving in wet, slushy snow--the kind that builds up on windshield wipers so much that you have to stop every so often to clear the snow buildup from them, and sometimes even from the wheel wells on long trips. I don't know much about car mechanics. I am wondering if this snow buildup during inclement weather will be a problem with the exposed bars that connect the front wheels to the body of the car. What do you think? Will this make the Elio a car *not* to drive in bad weather? And, will the light weight of the car make it more likely to skid on slippery surfaces?

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the engine weight directly over the drive wheels, it will do just fine (just like the VW had the motor over the drive wheels). As far as the suspension, snow on the control arms won't be any worse than you get on any other car. NOT to sure about the effect on the wheel covers though.

Top Bottom