• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the engine weight directly over the drive wheels, it will do just fine (just like the VW had the motor over the drive wheels). As far as the suspension, snow on the control arms won't be any worse than you get on any other car. NOT to sure about the effect on the wheel covers though.
Wait a minute.............heated wheel covers!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having lived in the Great Lakes area for most of my life, I am well experienced with driving in wet, slushy snow--the kind that builds up on windshield wipers so much that you have to stop every so often to clear the snow buildup from them, and sometimes even from the wheel wells on long trips. I don't know much about car mechanics. I am wondering if this snow buildup during inclement weather will be a problem with the exposed bars that connect the front wheels to the body of the car. What do you think? Will this make the Elio a car *not* to drive in bad weather? And, will the light weight of the car make it more likely to skid on slippery surfaces?
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Carolyn. Not having to drive in snow is one reason I retired to Oregon. At least the part of Oregon I live in rarely has snow and when it does it doesn't last long. The video Folks provided you is an excellent discussion of driving Elio in snow. I think you may need to remove the wheel fairings while the snow is still slushy so it doesn't have a chance to freeze but honestly don't know. I understand they are easy to remove only requiring the removal of 4 accessible bolts. Will you be returning to the Great Lakes area when you return to this country? I ask because it is going to be a while before the Elio is offered outside the US and when it is it will be offered in Canada and Mexico first. I hope you enjoy exploring the Elio with this group. They are a very diverse and interesting source of information, misinformation, humor, creativity and I find a lot of entertainment value. Enjoy this exciting adventure and journey towards Elio production and ownership. :-) Z

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a resident of tropical Texas, I know nothing of this "snow" you speak of. But, because the fairings articulate with the suspension and turn with the wheels, I'd bet that the effects of snow and slush will be minimal.
:)
Seems when I was stationed in Texas we had a real problem with crickets completely covering the ground. But then that actually may aid as a crude form of lubricant. Right Lil4X?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems when I was stationed in Texas we had a real problem with crickets completely covering the ground. But then that actually may aid as a crude form of lubricant. Right Lil4X?
I moved to Austin in 1965 and was stunned to see the city streets literally covered with crickets. Even now it gives me the chills thinking of it and the crunching sound made when driving over them. YUK! :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snow in the wheelwells won't be any more of a problem than on a normal car. Once they're full, they don't build up till the wheel stops turning, friction melts it away from the tire.

I don't foresee a big issue with suspension either. Snowmobile suspensions are similarly exposed.
I agree. It has been a while since I have driven in snow (for which I am eternally grateful) so I had forgotten about the friction melting away the snow from the tire. Thank you for reminding me and for reminding me how grateful I am I don't have to worry about it any more. LOL :-) Z

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I moved to Austin in 1965 and was stunned to see the city streets literally covered with crickets. Even now it gives me the chills thinking of it and the crunching sound made when driving over them. YUK! :) Z
Oh yes, I was also in Austin from Fall of 1961 to the Winter of 1967 - and I remember the crickets. They were a seasonal thing like cedar pollen (causal agent of "cedar fever", a miserable allergy to those who suffered it) and summer heat. 'Course down on the coast, summer evenings in Lake Jackson were punctuated by the roar of cicadas that seemed to take over the live oaks EVERY year. They were WAY bigger than the crickets, so the "great cricket crunch" of Austin seemed rather unimpressive to those of us who moved up from the coastal bend. :)

I met my personal match while riding a friend's big CZ tourer north of Amarillo one afternoon. I took a locust the size of a sparrow to the sternum as we closed on each other at nearly 100 mph. I thought I'd been shot . . . and wobbled off the road to a stop while my head spun and I gasped for several minutes trying to get my breathing started again. YOWCH! :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom