• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dwr's E-cig Thread....

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I did some research on this stuff this weekend, the wife will try this to replace her tobacco cigarettes. The information I read is that the vapor is not just steam. That said, sounds like the vapor is not harmful to a second-hand breather, and is much less harmful to the first-hand smoker:

"the researchers found significantly less chemicals in electronic cigarette vapor than tobacco smoke. Of the twenty VOCs [volatile organic compounds] found in tobacco, only six were present in the electronic cigarette vapor and at much lower levels – far below occupational safety limits. The e-cigs had 2.5 to 40 times less butanone, acetic acid, acetone, isoprene, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Of the chemicals that were considered toxic, the levels found in e-cigs were in at least a 90 percent safety margin".

Also: "Besides the lack of chemicals in electronic cigarette vapor, vapor disperses much quicker than tobacco smoke..." and "...According to a 2012 study by CleanStream Air: '...we can conclude by saying that it would be more unhealthy to breath air in a big city than staying in the same room with someone who is vaping.' "

Found here: http://www.cigbuyer.com/inside-e-cigarette-liquids-and-vapor/

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did some research on this stuff this weekend, the wife will try this to replace her tobacco cigarettes. The information I read is that the vapor is not just steam. That said, sounds like the vapor is not harmful to a second-hand breather, and is much less harmful to the first-hand smoker:

"the researchers found significantly less chemicals in electronic cigarette vapor than tobacco smoke. Of the twenty VOCs [volatile organic compounds] found in tobacco, only six were present in the electronic cigarette vapor and at much lower levels – far below occupational safety limits. The e-cigs had 2.5 to 40 times less butanone, acetic acid, acetone, isoprene, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Of the chemicals that were considered toxic, the levels found in e-cigs were in at least a 90 percent safety margin".

Also: "Besides the lack of chemicals in electronic cigarette vapor, vapor disperses much quicker than tobacco smoke..." and "...According to a 2012 study by CleanStream Air: '...we can conclude by saying that it would be more unhealthy to breath air in a big city than staying in the same room with someone who is vaping.' "

Found here: http://www.cigbuyer.com/inside-e-cigarette-liquids-and-vapor/
If I can be of any help Jeff, please let me know. I'm sure you've probably read most of this thread, and hope that will help your wife. :)

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being in the medical field I am very interested in e-cigs and vaping so I have checked pretty much all the info that is out there, and it isn't really much. Yet. I would recommend that anyone who likes vaping for whatever reason do so descretely. The anti-pleasure nazis are already lining up their crosshairs on vaping devices so be prepared.
So far the arguments are that the propolyne glycol has been known to have an issue with a small percentage of people, the vegetable glycerin is not proven harmless in vapor form, there IS aerosolized nicotine in the exhaled vapor, and if your atomizer runs too hot it can produce a chemical or two that is of questionable carcinogic safety, (at least in California). All-in-all, burning a bag of popcorn in the microwave might be a thousand times more hazardous, and the perfume density of some folks might represent a REAL threat to breathing safety, but logic and perspective have never been known to dampen a good hysteria.
Don't make the mistake of dismissing the small but very vocal group of people out there who think all those inconsiderate, filthy smokers should just DIE! They take pleasure in seeing smokers suffer withdrawls, and would do anything they can to make it harder for them. Vaping spoils all their fun and it REALLY irritates them that smokers are not getting their due suffering. In fact, they're getting away with something and MUST be stopped! (Really, I know lots of these people and many of them work in health care.)
Naturally EVERYONE should quit smoking. It's a HORRIBLE way to die. But if vaping is your step in the right direction, I hate to see that option being legislated away. But I think it's coming.
Excelent post carzes! I will never understand why the anti smoking crowd hates to see something new come along, that can help people quit. It's kinda like cutting off your nose, to spite your face. I like the fact you know about the popcorn thing. There is a natural occouring chemical in dairy products, and even wine, that gives popcorn that buttery flavor. If ingested, it's harmless, if inhaled (if you pop 4-5 bags of popcorn a day and enjoy the smell) can cause popcorn lung, a form of lung cancer. I stay away from flavors that have a buttery taste just for that reason. :)

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not a smoker, but am all for a safer alternative. My parents were smokers and many relatives and friends and I've seen the effects that tobacco can have. Dad died of cancer. Had mild emphysema prior to that. Had several close relatives that that had to wheel around oxygen tanks in their older years. I wish my mother in law would switch to vapor. She is a chain smoker who smokes around my wife who has bad asthma including while we (including the kids) are in an enclosed vehicle. I am glad that smoking was never attractive to me. I struggle with other vices (like food) so no judgement. I've just seen how hard it is to quit once you start. I think the vapor market is an exciting alternative for everyone involved.

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I started vaping to quit dipping and havent in over 2 years. It was actually a dentist recommendation as vapor does not stain or permeate teeth/gums. Aside from the effects on lungs smoking is terrible for the teeth. My stepmom smoked cigs for years and years and now in her early 60's her teeth are just simply cracking and breaking completely apart. I bought my sister an e-cig for her birthday 1 year ago - bought a good unit - 24g Nicotine - 3 replacement tops and a couple of proven flavors. She had tried the gas station and WalGreens disposables but it wasnt enough. From the day I gave her that unit (I spent 80 bux but hey its her life I am worried about) she hasnt touched a real cig since. She has invested in upgrades and now down to 4g nicotine. Shes lost wieght and jogging now as her lungs have come back (Ecigs dont have tar and other stuff that clogs your lungs). 4

Not doing anything at all is still probably most healthy - but I agree with another post - your probably getting a 1000x more carcinogens in a slightly burt bag of popcorn - or eating a blackened piece of grill meat that an e-cig. Run properly and proper temps e-cig produces 0 carcinogens because nicotine itself is not a carcinogen.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't aware the the "Chinese juice" thing. We do have a Vape shop right in town, but I always ordered my stuff through the mail, so I never stopped in to check the place out. Now, the V2 does have small batteries compared to some of the units I've seen (some could jumpstart a car!), but I've got two batteries, and a mobile recharger so there's always a charged battery on hand. VERY interested to hear what you have to recommend vape-wise, kind of a newbie myself.
Just curious NSTG8R, have you tried any of the flavors/hardware I told you about? Have you been to your local vape shop yet?:)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just curious NSTG8R, have you tried any of the flavors/hardware I told you about? Have you been to your local vape shop yet?:)

Not yet, but the last bottle I got is almost empty, and one of my back up batteries died on me the other day. Time to check out some new gear. I'll let you know soon.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not yet, but the last bottle I got is almost empty, and one of my back up batteries died on me the other day. Time to check out some new gear. I'll let you know soon.
After over 2 years of vaping, please try one of these batteries. http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-cf-vv-battery/ . I have three of them, and they are the most "bang for the buck" in my opinion. If you're more of a gadget guy, you may like this one more. http://www.vistavapors.com/innokin-itaste-vv-v3/. I have one of these too. The first one has variable voltage only, but is 1600 mah. The second one is only 800 mah, but besides variable voltage, it has variable wattage, and a drag counter (tells you how many times you've taken a drag since the last time it was turned off). The itaste vv also has pass through capability. All that means is you can use it while it's charging (pretty useless in my opinion, but it's there if you want it). Since all you're familar with is V2, VV (variable voltage) is a must. Once you get a couple of these tanks, http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-bdc-glass-tank/ (which fit both of these batteries), a fresh coil will need no more than 3.8 - 4.3 volts. As the coil wears, you can start bumping the voltage up to 4.8 volts. I get several weeks out of a coil. These are the coils you need for this tank. http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-bdc-coils/ . Since you've never had a rebuildable tank, change the coil when it gets hard to drag through, or starts tasting burnt (it should never taste burnt).

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After over 2 years of vaping, please try one of these batteries. http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-cf-vv-battery/ . I have three of them, and they are the most "bang for the buck" in my opinion. If you're more of a gadget guy, you may like this one more. http://www.vistavapors.com/innokin-itaste-vv-v3/. I have one of these too. The first one has variable voltage only, but is 1600 mah. The second one is only 800 mah, but besides variable voltage, it has variable wattage, and a drag counter (tells you how many times you've taken a drag since the last time it was turned off). The itaste vv also has pass through capability. All that means is you can use it while it's charging (pretty useless in my opinion, but it's there if you want it). Since all you're familar with is V2, VV (variable voltage) is a must. Once you get a couple of these tanks, http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-bdc-glass-tank/ (which fit both of these batteries), a fresh coil will need no more than 3.8 - 4.3 volts. As the coil wears, you can start bumping the voltage up to 4.8 volts. I get several weeks out of a coil. These are the coils you need for this tank. http://www.vistavapors.com/aspire-bdc-coils/ . Since you've never had a rebuildable tank, change the coil when it gets hard to drag through, or starts tasting burnt (it should never taste burnt).
And remember, use VISTATEN as a discount code at check out for 10% off. They did send a new discount code today of VISTA10. so if one doesn't work, try the other one.:)

Top Bottom