• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

goofyone

Staff member
I guess I was "beating a dead horse" on this one, having only signed on in late June. The driver of course is #1, and the first objective to is be a commuter car, but the more flexible the car can be the larger the potential market in the long run.

I actually agree it would be nice if they could find a way to make access to the back seat somewhat easier however I just wanted to point out that as it stands right now it would not really be easy to do with this chassis design.

We all hope that Elio Motors does well and there has been discussion on here about maybe a second vehicle in the lineup at some time in the future which would likely focus less on low cost and fuel economy and instead focus on performance and comfort.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
From what I can find it does appear that EM has left themselves the option of placing the door on either side of the vehicle however no matter where the door is it will always be center drive. :D

This is the P4 rolling chassis:
[Broken External Image]
Oh, ugh, left or right hand stick shift?

Rickb

Elio Addict
I hope Elio remains true to their mission......an affordable, high mpg, safe, made in the USA aero three wheeler commuter and don't venture into the auto manufacturing business. Most drives will be solo with easy rear hatch storage access. The Elio is one of a kind.

Easy rear seat access mod on a VW:
image.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
I hope Elio remains true to their mission......an affordable, high mpg, safe, made in the USA aero three wheeler commuter and don't venture into the auto manufacturing business. Most drives will be solo with easy rear seat down storage space with easy access from the rear hatch. The Elio is one of a kind.

Easy rear seat access mod on a VW:
View attachment 3825

I agree that I don't think trying to sell a four wheel vehicle would fit the Elio brand at all however I could easily see a higher end three wheeled vehicle after EM establishes that a three wheel vehicle can be practical and not merely a novelty or high end toy as they have been in this country up to now.

goofyone

Staff member
That was my thought, having the shifter on the left side of the car would feel strange even for an Automatic.
I would guess that most people would have trouble using the manual shift knob on the left side without extreme concentration,
I don't know if I could
I have driven right hand drive a number of times while traveling. I think it is stranger to adapt to the actual driving than the shifting however adapting is not hard just feels a bit strange at first. People travel and drive the other way all the time without issue.

Anyway shifting is done with a cable so routing this cable to the other side should not be a big deal if EM wishes to change what side the door is on.

Rickb

Elio Addict
I agree that I don't think trying to sell a four wheel vehicle would fit the Elio brand at all however I could easily see a higher end three wheeled vehicle after EM establishes that a three wheel vehicle can be practical and not merely a novelty or high end toy as they have been in this country up to now.
My dream Elio would be an electric tilting convertible model. Perhaps Elio Motors and Terracraft could partner and build this one in Shreveport.
image.jpg