• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eco Exo R

edvb

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hi All

First post here.

I have been looking for a reverse trike for a long time and just could not find one within my budget.

The Elio came along a few years ago but the date just seemed to be pushed back and back so I saw this basic frame kit from the UK and was able to make a deal on the US dealer's kit that he did not have time to finish this year.

This is what I started with

14268189918_0fe4767935_c.jpg8452428061_8c99860fe4_o by evanbelkom, on Flickr

14268190228_c0a4593c5a_c.jpg8452431323_1ba7a8594d_o by evanbelkom, on Flickr

14268190318_15a9df48df_c.jpg8453521492_4462487e4e_o by evanbelkom, on Flickr

This is what the kit is suppose to look like when done
14268190068_b3806a16c6_c.jpg7971303880_da4d8c31ce_o by evanbelkom, on Flickr

I also had some ideas I wanted to incorporate as I was building it so this is what I came up with. About 69 MPG and top speed of about 100MPH. It is all street legal and will run 65-75MPH all day. Donor is a 2005 Suzuki Burgman 400 that had about 8K on it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18457639@N04/14442632033/

14421817052_ebe1820c0f_c.jpgIMG_2393 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
14443287893_804cb9df18_c.jpgIMG_2392 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
14399982766_baa12669b6_c.jpgIMG_2391 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
14419757061_3aa74d9376_c.jpg

IMG_2390 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
14421824382_fa6e8bf4c7_c.jpgIMG_2389 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
14419760691_ac99e70e92_c.jpgIMG_2388 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

Last edited:

edvb

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Sides can be put on but this was designed as an open concept vehicle so you can feel the wind, see the suspension work and feel totally free. Changing those fundamentals would be best with a different vehicle.

An Elio would work in a pinch and that would be the vehicle of choice. This is more of a Can Am Spider alternative.

I have ridden both so you know what I prefer;)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi All

First post here.

I have been looking for a reverse trike for a long time and just could not find one within my budget.

The Elio came along a few years ago but the date just seemed to be pushed back and back so I saw this basic frame kit from the UK and was able to make a deal on the US dealer's kit that he did not have time to finish this year.

IMG_2394 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

14399982766_baa12669b6_c.jpgIMG_2391 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

Really nice work.
Great looking set of wheels and I'll bet it is fun to drive. You did a fantastic job of putting this together. I also bet you have a lot more money in it than what a new Elio costs. Still spoiled by the concept of an enclosed weather protected three-wheeler. To get my share of fresh air I plan on having both windows down most of the time unless the weather dictates otherwise.

edvb

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Jim

I guess the thing to remember is that I am driving this now and not waiting to drive an Elio in the next year or so.

Life is short and who knows if I would be around driving an Elio around in the next couple years.

Different strokes but sometimes you got to make a decision and go for it. This was a viable solution to get into a reverse trike now.

Just my thoughts on doing this project. I wish everyone luck and hope they start production in September 2015. I just did not have time to see how it would turn out so I went this route.

Hope that makes more sense now.

Edward

Last edited:

edvb

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Jim

I really thought about that before starting this. I had a mint 2002 R1150RT that I sold to fund this project. I loved it but if someone pulled in front of me it would be totaled as the cost to replace the parts would probably be more than what I paid for it.

To me this is more like an affordable Campagna Motors V13R. Same style but more tamer and it gets 69 MPG. The wind and freedom this offers is different than the feeling you will get driving the Elio.

For me it has everything I need including a stereo system, GPS and hard cases if I want to go somewhere.

Yes I probably have twice as much stuck into it as an Elio but it is here and live now. I still kick myself to believe I just built this by myself with just some basic tools.

Edward

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks Jim

I really thought about that before starting this. I had a mint 2002 R1150RT that I sold to fund this project. I loved it but if someone pulled in front of me it would be totaled as the cost to replace the parts would probably be more than what I paid for it.

To me this is more like an affordable Campagna Motors V13R. Same style but more tamer and it gets 69 MPG. The wind and freedom this offers is different than the feeling you will get driving the Elio.

For me it has everything I need including a stereo system, GPS and hard cases if I want to go somewhere.

Yes I probably have twice as much stuck into it as an Elio but it is here and live now. I still kick myself to believe I just built this by myself with just some basic tools.

Edward
A truly epic project ! I built a Bugatti kit many years ago, doner was a VW BUG. Also a Great project in my younger years. I loved that vehicle till a drunk T_BONED it while my son was driving it. Of course, totaled. (he, luckily, wasn't hurt).
Thanks for posting your pictures. You're a pretty slick dude ! :cool:

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Sides can be put on but this was designed as an open concept vehicle so you can feel the wind, see the suspension work and feel totally free. Changing those fundamentals would be best with a different vehicle.

An Elio would work in a pinch and that would be the vehicle of choice. This is more of a Can Am Spider alternative.

I have ridden both so you know what I prefer;)
By the way,,,I would LOVE your front fenders set-up on my NEW ELIO...much better than the lame enclosed ones now showing.

edvb

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Fred!

Everything is a compromise. I have 32 HP to work with and the 69MPG will be very close at the speeds I will be running at. It also weighs 572 LBS with full fuel so lighter than the Elio.

84 miles is attainable in the Elio but at what cost in performance in everyday use? What will be the ease of maintenance once everything is dialed in? Those are the questions I had to deal with when building my Eco Exo R. It is very easy to maintain as it is easy to get to everything that needs to be checked. The fenders I have are steel and robust. The front wheels are easy to remove to change a tire and easy to reinstall.

The Elio front fenders if properly designed should not be that hard to remove to change the tire. Also when properly maintained and being alert where I drive I have not had any problems with a flat tire for a long, long time so that doesn't bother me too much.

Top Bottom