• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eco Motors - An Elio Suggestion

Think elio should consider offering an ecomotor option?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey ty, who said anything about side to side seating?...have you seen the tuvie SEV..(it was at the Detroit auto show in 2008 about the same time Mr. Elio came up with the elio prototype????) The tuvie.com s.e.v seats 3, is from what I understand by a little research is only 57" wide and looks to be a little shorter than the elio..and I am willing to bet with the entire front end enclosed the mpg MAY be more..so narrower, shorter, 3 people, possibly better mpg and a trunk..
Our P4 prototype..(we cannot call it a real elio just yet, we have no seen the final model) is a cobbled together kit car with a roll cage..and plastic panels. No one, including you and me know what the final 2016 elio will look like, we are looking at prototypes only. The cad computers engineers can pop the tuvie.com s.e.v. idea into the system and maybe, just maybe have a better elio that, as my girl friend said Saturday, my mom can ride with us to get ice cream. Look at all the room the 3 people have in the tuvie sev concepts interior within a space narrower than the current proto. It's A space efficient vehicle. A 3 person SEV would sell millions more than a two passenger one, especially if it exceeds the elio's projections of over 80 mpg.
The tuvieSEV has 1 door on the passenger side, a large door that all 3 people can use,(sliding?) or EM can shorten the drivers door and put a second door on the passenger side, moving the shifter to the dash like my mazda 2. (improving the linkage by a bunch with less angles). Who needs a 5 speed that feels like it is in jello anyway.
I kinda feel sorry for all the folks on the facebook side, they are so confused about the P4, the price, the one or two people, the power plant, and the small trunk space..and some have ordered two without even seeing the final model...and without knowing the final cost with options..which is going to be close to $9000+ with an automatic from what the national sales manager says. They still think they bought a vehicle without really realizing they and you and I also, bought a number instead.
EM is basically starting over with this delay, and they have been advertising the $6800 for over 18 months now, so it would be foolish to believe the $6800 would still be the price without something coming off the standard equipment like a/c maybe.
If you look at all the features of the tuvie sev and if the costs can be kept under $10,000, I think it is a really good concept.
I just can't see another 14 months of tweaking the P4 or the P5 or the P6 and not making it a 3 person vehicle..

Then why do you not just buy a tuvieSEV instead of trying to turn the Elio into one. The vast majority are very happy with the prototype and hope the production model is the same or close to it.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thinking of a 3 person Elio makes me sick. I already have a family car. I want a commuter car.
Kids are gone, and the dog will be dead before the Elio is in production …. so who needs 3 person seating?

PS -- the dog is 14, large mixed breed, and in good shape … but no way will she be around 18 months from now!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kids are gone, and the dog will be dead before the Elio is in production …. so who needs 3 person seating?

PS -- the dog is 14, large mixed breed, and in good shape … but no way will she be around 18 months from now!
Sad, but the old dog may surprise you and hang on long enough for a ride in your new Elio.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey ty, who said anything about side to side seating?...have you seen the tuvie SEV..(it was at the Detroit auto show in 2008 about the same time Mr. Elio came up with the elio prototype????) The tuvie.com s.e.v seats 3, is from what I understand by a little research is only 57" wide and looks to be a little shorter than the elio..and I am willing to bet with the entire front end enclosed the mpg MAY be more..so narrower, shorter, 3 people, possibly better mpg and a trunk..
Our P4 prototype..(we cannot call it a real elio just yet, we have no seen the final model) is a cobbled together kit car with a roll cage..and plastic panels. No one, including you and me know what the final 2016 elio will look like, we are looking at prototypes only. The cad computers engineers can pop the tuvie.com s.e.v. idea into the system and maybe, just maybe have a better elio that, as my girl friend said Saturday, my mom can ride with us to get ice cream. Look at all the room the 3 people have in the tuvie sev concepts interior within a space narrower than the current proto. It's A space efficient vehicle. A 3 person SEV would sell millions more than a two passenger one, especially if it exceeds the elio's projections of over 80 mpg.
The tuvieSEV has 1 door on the passenger side, a large door that all 3 people can use,(sliding?) or EM can shorten the drivers door and put a second door on the passenger side, moving the shifter to the dash like my mazda 2. (improving the linkage by a bunch with less angles). Who needs a 5 speed that feels like it is in jello anyway.
I kinda feel sorry for all the folks on the facebook side, they are so confused about the P4, the price, the one or two people, the power plant, and the small trunk space..and some have ordered two without even seeing the final model...and without knowing the final cost with options..which is going to be close to $9000+ with an automatic from what the national sales manager says. They still think they bought a vehicle without really realizing they and you and I also, bought a number instead.
EM is basically starting over with this delay, and they have been advertising the $6800 for over 18 months now, so it would be foolish to believe the $6800 would still be the price without something coming off the standard equipment like a/c maybe.
If you look at all the features of the tuvie sev and if the costs can be kept under $10,000, I think it is a really good concept.
I just can't see another 14 months of tweaking the P4 or the P5 or the P6 and not making it a 3 person vehicle..
I was actually responding to someone who said so.watching like "The Elio is 75" wide and they can fit a bench seat in the back" I meant to point out that the front track is indeed about 75" but that the body was pretty narrow which keeps the aerodynamics better... less frontal area and all. The Tuvie is nice but I'm not looking for a car to take the family around in. I want to make my 40 miles a day round trip to work more economical thanin my F350 (it won't take much). The Elio will save me so much money in diesel fuel that Ill basically be driving the Elio free... (it'll save me $250+ per month in fuel and the payment will be much less than that.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, the width of my mazda is 66", the elio is wider than a chevy sonic, and even a pt cruiser.
The elio is about 75 inches ....
Why is 'someone' allowed to come here, and continuously 'put down' Elio Motor's design and production/marketing plans ...... with 'BOGUS', and inaccurate, information and speculation? The stated information for the Elio is; "Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (may change slightly for production model)..... NOT 75". These posts are detrimental to new members that come here for current and accurate information.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If it's 4 1/2 inches from the center of the rim to the edge of the tire plus the fender... 66+9=75. He's probably right about the front track... But you are right that the Elio is WAY too narrow for two sitting side by side and making it wider gives up the aerodynamic advantage that single seating offers.

why wouldn't that track offer side by side seating the geo is 54.8" track width and as far as i know they all are side by side seating. front to back just makes for better mpg's that is what everyone wants.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
why wouldn't that track offer side by side seating the geo is 54.8" track width and as far as i know they all are side by side seating. front to back just makes for better mpg's that is what everyone wants.
The frontal area of the Elio is much smaller than the track would indicate. Remember, those front tires are outriggers. Interior shoulder width is 26.8".

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you order the 'Sunroof' OPTION, and the 'Venting' passenger windows...... to keep the 'old gal' (or your next one) happy!
All she needs is too trade that Harley Tee for an official Elio 'Authentic Tee' and will be ready to roll! Dogs are simply the best riding companions! Won't need the helmet or googles.
image.jpg

Top Bottom