• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eco Motors - An Elio Suggestion

Think elio should consider offering an ecomotor option?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Edward, you hit the nail squarely on the head. Have many of you forgotten you bought a number and not an elio???
We have 14 months or more to see the final product roll off the assembly line. I mentioned before, be a salesman and pretend to sell me a two person elio or a 3 person elio...Might be 5-10 mpg less but a 3 person elio will sell world wide better than a 2 person elio.
Oh, stop worrying about the engineering, the cad computers that tell us up to the tenth of a second what the 0-60 time will be or the 5 star crash results will give any engineer worth his salt the info he needs to mock a triple up. You believe the computer now, why not six months from now when a brand new 3 person elio is shown. The board of directs know all of this and paul does also..trust me on that!
Some of you want more storage, or are concerned there is not enough, or room for a backpack or camping equipment or a real over night trip, well the 3 will provide that. just the additional room will make the elio much more comfortable.
Again let the engineers make a new 2016 elio and not a 5 year old model. You wouldn't expect ford or Toyota or Mazda sell you a 5 year old design would you. That areo 3 was almost a perfect passenger interior, look at it again.
My reminder to all of you is the elgin dash instead of the round tach, speedo and oil and electrical gauge are old and easy to read gauges...and they would look great in a knock your socks off, sleek and practical elio 3 person vehicle. I also remind all of you that the cost is going up as I type this, just look at how long the $6800 has been advertised, can they do it...maybe now, but 14 months from now..highly unlikely..
If EM is reading this, do the right thing and make the perfect 2nd car now and not in a few years!
go, go, go elio!
(BTW, EM, thanks for the nice note last week)

My opinion:
I remember reading A CASE STUDY about an "up and coming" personal computer company that had started out great.( At that time, Microsoft WASN'T) Their sales were going well, and their next model was designed and ready to produce. It was set to make the current model OBSOLETE. The reality was, all of their working capitol was tied up in current inventory. All they needed to do was sell what they had,(iirc over 60k units) to fund the "next big thing". Well, someone in the company LEAKED the information about just how great their new one was going to be.............SALES WENT FLAT & THE COMPANY CEASED TO EXIST.
Now, you might say that EM has zero inventory, so there is no problem, right? You have NO IDEA.The reality is, they have MILLIONS of dollars, and YEARS invested in this design. And because "a little birdie" told you something?.......Please DO THE RIGHT THING, don't do this.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, you buy that 5-6 year old elio...but there is no previous model...as you so eloquently said.!..
I have sold over 1300 vehicles and maybe, just maybe, doing 1300 presentations, and test drives and work sheets and answering all those questions, I might have a clue of what"s going on,. Plus, I can show you a dozen ways to save $800-$1000 on every financed elio. Unless you sold vehicles, you do not have a single clue about buying or selling a car or truck to the public..
Anyway, , Mr. Elio had no money a year ago...did you see the financials from caddo county.in January.?...
You and I gave him the money to do what he has done..but it's a 10th of what he needs.
One more thing my fellow elioite, remember Pontiac Michigan flat turned him down in 2010 when he proposed 2500 jobs in that city. Why, they didn't feel it could work.....but we, the people, said, hell yes it will work...and with our hard earned money we made it happen. !
Go, go elio, but make the new 2016 elio bettr than the P4 or the P5... and keep it under $10,000.
I don't want to settle for a 5-6 year old autocycle. and I bet if you think about it, you do not want one either.
EM and Paul Elio can do better than that.
Have safe memorial day my friends.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score

For better aerodynamics and location of Cg, one could choose a staggered seat design. That's where the hips and shoulders of the "side by side" people is staggered front/back by 7 inches or so. Plus, you'd want to lengthen the wheelbase a few inches for stability. And I wouldn't even attempt it without Electronic Stability Control.

Interesting, and maybe where Elio 2.0 ends up in a few years, but definitely not a trivial redesign.

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Blackbird, I envy your #61. I went all in on 6/9/13 the day I first saw the Elio. I don't know how I hadn't seen it before that. When did you get your # ?.
As for this discussion...I would like a small block Chevy with a four speed, AFTER I happily accept my stock unit with the 3 cyl in it.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, you buy that 5-6 year old elio...but there is no previous model...as you so eloquently said.!..
I have sold over 1300 vehicles and maybe, just maybe, doing 1300 presentations, and test drives and work sheets and answering all those questions, I might have a clue of what"s going on,. Plus, I can show you a dozen ways to save $800-$1000 on every financed elio. Unless you sold vehicles, you do not have a single clue about buying or selling a car or truck to the public..
Anyway, , Mr. Elio had no money a year ago...did you see the financials from caddo county.in January.?...
You and I gave him the money to do what he has done..but it's a 10th of what he needs.
One more thing my fellow elioite, remember Pontiac Michigan flat turned him down in 2010 when he proposed 2500 jobs in that city. Why, they didn't feel it could work.....but we, the people, said, hell yes it will work...and with our hard earned money we made it happen. !
Go, go elio, but make the new 2016 elio bettr than the P4 or the P5... and keep it under $10,000.
I don't want to settle for a 5-6 year old autocycle. and I bet if you think about it, you do not want one either.
EM and Paul Elio can do better than that.
Have safe memorial day my friends.

You are correct to say that I don't know what is involved in selling a vehicle. I am not a salesman. I have also never bought a new car. Or a used one, from a salesman. And in 35 years, have only taken my vehicles to a mechanic twice. I have been involved in manufacturing, tho. And I do have a clue about what is involved. Compared to what EM is doing, the scale was "microscopic", and still very complicated.
Secondly: "we the people" haven't MADE anything happen, yet. This is not a democracy, It is a "startup" company. The money that we have "invested" is just a drop in the bucket. The "commitment" we have made is the important thing. My faith in that commitment has not wavered.

I have appreciated many of your past post, and would like to see a 3-seater. But the planned 2-seater IS my Perfect "next" vehicle. When that one is payed for, If I am pleased with the reliability, a 3-seater will be next.

I do question, why you are using this small forum to "pitch" this, when you could have the attention of the Board of Directors?

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio are you listening? We love the 4 tenets the elio is based upon and really respect all the time and effort that has happened to get the prototypes to where they are now. However, since you have another 14 months before production how about changing just a few things so that you will be truly successful.

First off, scrap the idea that this is a commuter vehicle and that 90% of the time only a single person will be riding in it. Instead blow out the back and put a bench back there that is as wide as a normal car; while you are at it how about an additional optional folding rear bench as well so that the kid’s friends or the dog can also come along; it should only add less than 3 feet to the elio. We are certain you can do this without impacting the wind drag, compromising the chassis, or adding too much cost or weight so you should still be able to meet the 4 tenets.

After addressing the additional seating how about adding a few more doors? That will make it easier to get all those people in and out as well as provide me even more safety when I roll the Elio and have to climb out. We are certain you can do this without compromising the chassis or adding too much cost or weight so you should still be able to meet the 4 tenets.

We are very happy that we will get 84 mpg in the Elio but you really need to change the engine and transmission. It needs to be more eco-friendly, electric, hybrid, diesel, two stroke, bigger smaller, experimental and have lots more horse power. There are a lot of engines out there; surely somebody would sell you one for cheaper than you can make your own. Clearly you can change power train and still meet the 84 mpg and cost tenets.

There are of course several other things that could be improved upon but the list above is probably the direst (at least at this moment). If you look at the list, it adds many of the things to the elio that the big auto makers have been selling for years so clearly that is what the elio must do as well. A used car salesman that has sold 1300 cars tells us this is the way to go. Oh? 17000 reservations already and how many cars a year do you plan to sell? No, the salesman knows better, and if you don’t do these changes there is no way the elio will succeed.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio are you listening? We love the 4 tenets the elio is based upon and really respect all the time and effort that has happened to get the prototypes to where they are now. However, since you have another 14 months before production how about changing just a few things so that you will be truly successful.

First off, scrap the idea that this is a commuter vehicle and that 90% of the time only a single person will be riding in it. Instead blow out the back and put a bench back there that is as wide as a normal car; while you are at it how about an additional optional folding rear bench as well so that the kid’s friends or the dog can also come along; it should only add less than 3 feet to the elio. We are certain you can do this without impacting the wind drag, compromising the chassis, or adding too much cost or weight so you should still be able to meet the 4 tenets.

After addressing the additional seating how about adding a few more doors? That will make it easier to get all those people in and out as well as provide me even more safety when I roll the Elio and have to climb out. We are certain you can do this without compromising the chassis or adding too much cost or weight so you should still be able to meet the 4 tenets.

We are very happy that we will get 84 mpg in the Elio but you really need to change the engine and transmission. It needs to be more eco-friendly, electric, hybrid, diesel, two stroke, bigger smaller, experimental and have lots more horse power. There are a lot of engines out there; surely somebody would sell you one for cheaper than you can make your own. Clearly you can change power train and still meet the 84 mpg and cost tenets.

There are of course several other things that could be improved upon but the list above is probably the direst (at least at this moment). If you look at the list, it adds many of the things to the elio that the big auto makers have been selling for years so clearly that is what the elio must do as well. A used car salesman that has sold 1300 cars tells us this is the way to go. Oh? 17000 reservations already and how many cars a year do you plan to sell? No, the salesman knows better, and if you don’t do these changes there is no way the elio will succeed.

How many times can I "like" this post?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think we have just arrived at automotive perfection . . . the "Homer".
The-homer-e1352175160392.jpg

"All things to all people, through compromise and committee decision"

Top Bottom