• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eco Motors - An Elio Suggestion

Think elio should consider offering an ecomotor option?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current design is for a high-mileage commuter, something most of us need. That's going to be the bread-and-butter product that takes Elio to the next level. Others may follow, but this 1+1 is what's going to put Elio on the map.
1+1 suits most of my needs. Yes, I'd like a little more storage room (camera tripod, camera case, and duffel bag). But to get 3 passengers in, you'd have to go significantly wider (bad for mpg) or longer (starts being hard to park).

So I'll happily live with a 2-seater. As long as they GET THIS CAR INTO PRODUCTION. Soon.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Always look 5 years into the future and try to figure out what will be the best idea and/or plan.
Please remember the elio is basically a kit car built in a garage which is now going to an assembly line and be massed produced.
To those of you who want the P5 to be exactly like the P4 with minor adjustments, too bad.!

My prediction is: (in 15 months) The 2016 elio will be a 3 wheeled, 3 passenger, with a 5 speed, a/c, tinted glass, and cruise and will sell for about $8700..Add about $800 for an automatic...and it will get over 80mpg..and have a 4 star crash rating.
Notice I said a 3 PASSENGER ELIO, with everything else being about the same as the P4-5..in other words. the perfect 2nd car!
Everybody will want one, commuters, college kids, young families, and singles, & old folks.
EVERYBODY WILL WANT ONE! EVERYBODY!

EM can ride this horse for 5 years without making ONE CHANGE..and sell millions world wide...

Trust me, it is already being planned, what in the hell do you think the delay really is...it's a re-tooling to make it a 3 person elio.
Think about a 3 person elio, in your driveway....the perfect vehicle for everybody...Think I am crazy, just wait and see!

Thinking of a 3 person Elio makes me sick. I already have a family car. I want a commuter car.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, the width of my mazda is 66", the elio is wider than a chevy sonic, and even a pt cruiser.
The elio is about 75 inches right... 11 inches or so wider! What should we do with that wide elio?
Go to tuvie.com sev... and find out!

The only vehicle for every single, couple, and family with one child is the 2016 Elio..by Elio Motors.!

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio will need to focus all of its resources and relentlessly on this one design only, it does not have a deep bench of design engineers to be off looking at new concepts, they will instead have to focus on squeezing every penny out of the existing design as possible, if they ever expect to see profit, or mass sales/production. The odds are way way stacked against them for such a small team with extremely limited funding, so one design, and execute the crap out of every fine detail possible, its their only chance.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, the width of my mazda is 66", the elio is wider than a chevy sonic, and even a pt cruiser.
The elio is about 75 inches right... 11 inches or so wider! What should we do with that wide elio?

The only vehicle for every single, couple, and family with one child is the 2016 Elio..by Elio Motors.!
This is not a family car. Stop trying to make it something it's not.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio will need to focus all of its resources and relentlessly on this one design only, it does not have a deep bench of design engineers to be off looking at new concepts, they will instead have to focus on squeezing every penny out of the existing design as possible, if they ever expect to see profit, or mass sales/production. The odds are way way stacked against them for such a small team with extremely limited funding, so one design, and execute the crap out of every fine detail possible, its their only chance.
bear doh.jpg

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Where are you getting 75"? Center rim to center rim is 66" according to their site, and inside the cab looks to be under 30"

Reactions: Ekh

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where are you getting 75"? Center rim to center rim is 66" according to their site, and inside the cab looks to be under 30"
If it's 4 1/2 inches from the center of the rim to the edge of the tire plus the fender... 66+9=75. He's probably right about the front track... But you are right that the Elio is WAY too narrow for two sitting side by side and making it wider gives up the aerodynamic advantage that single seating offers.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey ty, who said anything about side to side seating?...have you seen the tuvie SEV..(it was at the Detroit auto show in 2008 about the same time Mr. Elio came up with the elio prototype????) The tuvie.com s.e.v seats 3, is from what I understand by a little research is only 57" wide and looks to be a little shorter than the elio..and I am willing to bet with the entire front end enclosed the mpg MAY be more..so narrower, shorter, 3 people, possibly better mpg and a trunk..
Our P4 prototype..(we cannot call it a real elio just yet, we have no seen the final model) is a cobbled together kit car with a roll cage..and plastic panels. No one, including you and me know what the final 2016 elio will look like, we are looking at prototypes only. The cad computers engineers can pop the tuvie.com s.e.v. idea into the system and maybe, just maybe have a better elio that, as my girl friend said Saturday, my mom can ride with us to get ice cream. Look at all the room the 3 people have in the tuvie sev concepts interior within a space narrower than the current proto. It's A space efficient vehicle. A 3 person SEV would sell millions more than a two passenger one, especially if it exceeds the elio's projections of over 80 mpg.
The tuvieSEV has 1 door on the passenger side, a large door that all 3 people can use,(sliding?) or EM can shorten the drivers door and put a second door on the passenger side, moving the shifter to the dash like my mazda 2. (improving the linkage by a bunch with less angles). Who needs a 5 speed that feels like it is in jello anyway.
I kinda feel sorry for all the folks on the facebook side, they are so confused about the P4, the price, the one or two people, the power plant, and the small trunk space..and some have ordered two without even seeing the final model...and without knowing the final cost with options..which is going to be close to $9000+ with an automatic from what the national sales manager says. They still think they bought a vehicle without really realizing they and you and I also, bought a number instead.
EM is basically starting over with this delay, and they have been advertising the $6800 for over 18 months now, so it would be foolish to believe the $6800 would still be the price without something coming off the standard equipment like a/c maybe.
If you look at all the features of the tuvie sev and if the costs can be kept under $10,000, I think it is a really good concept.
I just can't see another 14 months of tweaking the P4 or the P5 or the P6 and not making it a 3 person vehicle..

Top Bottom