• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true you can buy a used car that seats 4 for that price, by the way it's 18k not 16k- but it's not a SOLO is it? Lol See, people wants to buy it because it's nitche and unique. But for that price, I'm on the look out for a used Tesla 3!
Around here Model 3 used and new prices are almost the same

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true you can buy a used car that seats 4 for that price, by the way it's 18k not 16k- but it's not a SOLO is it? Lol See, people wants to buy it because it's nitche and unique. But for that price, I'm on the look out for a used Tesla 3!
For around $12K on up, a nice used BMW i3 with range extender. So better range than a Solo, holds 4 people, can be use in just EV mode only, can condition itself (so you have a pre warmed or pre cooled car before you take off in the morning) and you can take it to a BMW dealer if something goes wrong (unlike Solo, limited dealer service). For the price of a Solo, you can get the range extender, the higher capacity battery and DC fast charging in a used i3. Most i3's you'll find have around 20-40K on them. Pretty much like a new car, looks unique and give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of driving an EV. It's not the most fun car to drive but it does as advertised. I took it on a 50 mile trip yesterday morning and we had 40 mph gusts and it was about 25 degrees F. I wonder how the Solo handles with gusts like that? I wonder what the range is when you need full heat? I just wonder how many of these upgraded Solos have been sold?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I’m almost positive 3wheelin is aware of the i3, but prefers the Tesla Model 3. The Solo might serve as a three wheel EV commuter supplement for the family that likes and already owns a BMW i3 or any other family car. Somebody can tell me the i3 is a warm and fuzzy EV experience, but I’d have to experience that for myself. I prefer the styling and the performance and handling ‘specs’ of the BMW i8, although I admit to not having test driven the Solo, i3, or i8.

I believe EMV has sold 80+- Solo’s to date and just revealed the finalized production model SOLO 3.0. The Chinese manufacturing partner is about to start retail production and ship container loads to EMV for delivery to Canadian and USA reservationists.
Your other questions regarding the SOLO will be answered by early adopter experiences based on their individual driving habits. The same questions asked about the BMW i3 prior/during it’s production roll out and possibly those new customers looking to make comparisons that will help to determine whether to purchase an i3 or a SOLO.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For around $12K on up, a nice used BMW i3 with range extender. So better range than a Solo, holds 4 people, can be use in just EV mode only, can condition itself (so you have a pre warmed or pre cooled car before you take off in the morning) and you can take it to a BMW dealer if something goes wrong (unlike Solo, limited dealer service). For the price of a Solo, you can get the range extender, the higher capacity battery and DC fast charging in a used i3. Most i3's you'll find have around 20-40K on them. Pretty much like a new car, looks unique and give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of driving an EV. It's not the most fun car to drive but it does as advertised. I took it on a 50 mile trip yesterday morning and we had 40 mph gusts and it was about 25 degrees F. I wonder how the Solo handles with gusts like that? I wonder what the range is when you need full heat? I just wonder how many of these upgraded Solos have been sold?
For that price that's worth looking into as well. And it's from a well known and established car manufacturer BMW. We know you own one but I thought the i3 is ALL EV? What is this "you can run it on EV mode only"???
On the otherhand, I just checked again for used TESLA 3 (my number one pick for used EV) and like Samalross just confirmed, their value are holding steady and has not gone down low enough for me to buy one. A couple more years maybe when the CYBERTRAKK start hitting the streets, then there'll be more used Tesla 3s (even the longer range version/dual motor) available!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
but I thought the i3 is ALL EV?
Depends on what you get. When it says "Range Extender" or "Rex" it comes with a 2 cylinder BMW motorcycle engine in the back. So it's pretty much like a diesel locomotive when the battery starts to run out (engine running a generator that runs the EV motor). If you get it recoded for the EU settings, then you can turn on the motor when it gets around 60% battery and keep it charged. For the US setting it goes somewhere around 15%. It only holds about 2.5 gallons of gas that i have had to run down because after a year that gas gets old.

Top Bottom