• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric 2024 Chevy Blazer

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
earlier today we took our 2024 Chevy Blazer RS to our dealership for them to replace a tire .... while there I noticed a new vehicle that was the size of our Blazer but had a very different looking body .... later when we went back to pickup ours, I made it a point to go over and take a look .... a salesman came over quickly and was clearly excited that I was looking at it .... I'd been thinking about since the earlier trip and asked if was the new electric Blazer .... he said it was and instantly went into a sales pitch ..... I let him go on for a few seconds before breaking in and letting him know I had absolutely no interest in buying .... he didn't seem to be surprised and jumped immediately back into trying to get me to take a closer look .... when I told him, that would have to pay me the property tax for the 20 year average I keep a vehicle plus a whole lot more to take it ..... that pretty well ended his presentation ..... at that point we could hold an interesting conversation .... it was loaded with features, most of which were electrically powered ... they've had it for a couple of months .... my last question was, how many have y'all sold .... he answered, none

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
earlier today we took our 2024 Chevy Blazer RS to our dealership for them to replace a tire .... while there I noticed a new vehicle that was the size of our Blazer but had a very different looking body .... later when we went back to pickup ours, I made it a point to go over and take a look .... a salesman came over quickly and was clearly excited that I was looking at it .... I'd been thinking about since the earlier trip and asked if was the new electric Blazer .... he said it was and instantly went into a sales pitch ..... I let him go on for a few seconds before breaking in and letting him know I had absolutely no interest in buying .... he didn't seem to be surprised and jumped immediately back into trying to get me to take a closer look .... when I told him, that would have to pay me the property tax for the 20 year average I keep a vehicle plus a whole lot more to take it ..... that pretty well ended his presentation ..... at that point we could hold an interesting conversation .... it was loaded with features, most of which were electrically powered ... they've had it for a couple of months .... my last question was, how many have y'all sold .... he answered, none
You should have taken it out for a test drive. Pay the property tax plus more to take it?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
for what we need in a vehicle, a hybrid does make some sense .... while it may come sometime in the future, for now and as far in the future I can envision, an electric vehicle makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the same, but compelled to give one a try. Driving an EV, both short and long distance travels, over the last 3 years changed my mind.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my last question was, how many have y'all sold .... he answered, none
A few days back, I had the TV on in the background and I was only half listening to it. And a gentleman was talking about helping his daughter shop for a new car. I think the guy was some state official or something along those lines. Again, I was only half listening...

He talked his young daughter out of an electric car, as she did A LOT of driving for her job. He didn't specify her age, but I was surmising -- just out of college or a few years out of college -- so maybe mid 20's?? His concern was her charging it at night, as she did do quite a bit of night (and day) driving. He didn't want her stopped for hours on end at a charger. Some of the locations of these chargers were on back parking lots, not well lit, etc. Moreover, he stated that when the electric car (she wanted) was charging, it was "disabled" and wouldn't move (which makes sense). I don't know how true this is, but that would stand to reason that the car shouldn't move while charging. And thus that made her a "sitting duck" for any would be attackers (thieves, rapists, etc.) Whereas, if she had a gasoline car, she could pull into a "Flying J" or "Love's" truck stop, get gasoline in a well lit, busy (plenty of people) and safer filling station. Moreover, she would only be there about 2 minutes and not several hours. His "logic trail" seemed to make sense. His final statement was "Would you want your daughter to be sitting for hours on end, stuck at charging station at night??"

I checked out a few "youtube" videos of people charging their electric vehicles at night, and quite a few of the charging stations (shown) were located on back parking lots with only one or two lights and no activity.

I had never thought about that aspect of electric vehicles. I'm not a woman, nor do I have any children, so I can't really put myself in that gentleman's shoes. It did kind of give me some "food for thought".

I would be interested in hearing opinions from women or parents of a daughter. Would this be a concern for you?? Would you want your daughter driving an electric car??

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the guy was some state official or something along those lines.

Guy should be embarrassed if he is a "State Official" and then goes on to list the dangers of what is his number 1 priority to the people, i.e. their safety and wellbeing.

Would you want your daughter driving an electric car??

She has been for the last 8 years, as has my wife.

Shouldn't you be looking at the bigger picture as to why you would even have these concerns.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
for what we need in a vehicle, a hybrid does make some sense .... while it may come sometime in the future, for now and as far in the future I can envision, an electric vehicle makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Doesn't suit everybody, that's true, but suits me and is why I have 3 of them at the moment, 2 others previously over the last 9 years. So 5 in total and over 400,000kms in them.

Massive torque, seamless acceleration that's as smooth as silk, and quiet as a mouse, love 'em.

Not even close to being a Greeny by the way, and somewhat annoying the number of people who think that if you have EVs that you must automatically be a Greeny too. I happily charge from coal fired electricity, and would charge from a diesel genny without blinking. an eyelid

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be looking at the bigger picture as to why you would even have these concerns.
I would consider myself a perpetual "student of logic". I found that gentleman's logic trail interesting and worth sharing.

I apologize if I somehow offended you, that was not my intention.

Personally, an electric car would not fit my needs, but a vehicle with an ICE will.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I apologize if I somehow offended you, that was not my intention.

No offence at all Sam, I was just suggesting that there is a bigger picture at hand that needs to be attended to so that all the lovely ladies can move around with reasonable safety.

Internet doesn't convey expressions or tone, so I can only assure you there is no problem :-)

Personally, an electric car would not fit my needs

Why not?

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not Sam but I can tell you why electric don't fit me; About once a week I travel 100+ miles to inspect an aircraft. Then I must drive another 100+ miles home. There is no charging station on the airport. Current EVs do not have the range. The advertised "range" of most EVs is not valid in the real world experience.
The other problem I have with EVs is that the power companies cannot keep up with current demand. What's going to happen when everyone plugs their car in every night?

Top Bottom