• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric 2024 Chevy Blazer

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are several reasons:
(1) Range anxiety - this is the biggest one. My girlfriend and I are in "bucket list" mode. We often take long day trips, as I can't always afford an overnight hotel/motel. In addition to "range anxiety" there is one stretch of road we travel that is 61 miles with no services, whatsoever. No exits... nothing, just lots and lots of hot sandy desert. The highway administration put up plenty of signage warning you, but even with a full charge on an electric car, I woulds still be worried about range.
(2) Extreme Heat - Batteries don't last long in this desert heat. A neighbor just had to replace the battery pack in his Prius, I'm pretty sure the car is just 3-5 years old. The local shop found a "rebuilt" or "refurbished" battery pack for $3,200. (too rich for my blood)
(3) Not enough Amps - I have an older home and there just isn't enough amps coming into my home. I imagine I would have to turn off the heat pump & the (tankless) instant hot water heater and not use the dryer, then maybe I'd have enough amps to charge an electric car.
(4) DIY - I really enjoy working on my own vehicles (and my girlfriends). As a side note, I painted her old Dodge last month and she loves the car again. One of her friends thought she got a new car, she responded "No, Sam painted it" Personally, I am scared to death to touch an electric car. I know you can disconnect and isolate the battery pack, but my brain wouldn't let me relax enough to do it. I know I'd be "shaking like a leaf" the whole time.
so I can only assure you there is no problem :-)
Oh good... I was worried about that. Thank you for clarifying. Yes, it can be difficult to interpret statements posted on the internet or on a forum. Glad we are all good.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had similar thoughts and issues regarding EVs, but was compelled to buy one…….could have leased one and the money saved on gas per month would have paid the lion’s share of a monthly lease payment. Glad I bought the car finding my concerns and issues regarding EVs were unfounded. My favorite car in 60 years of car ownership.

Note: My first new car was a ’72 VW. The engine blew on the 60 mile drive home from the dealership. The only service on my EV over the past 3 years of ownership…….a.tire rotation.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had similar thoughts and issues regarding EVs, but was compelled to buy one…….could have leased one and the money saved on gas per month would have paid the lion’s share of a monthly lease payment. Glad I bought the car finding my concerns and issues regarding EVs were unfounded. My favorite car in 60 years of car ownership.

Note: My first new car was a ’72 VW. The engine blew on the 60 mile drive home from the dealership. The only service on my EV over the past 3 years of ownership…….a.tire rotation.
Good for You!

NOT for Me!

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: ‘A bunch of dead robots out here’"​

"Desperate Tesla owners in and around Chicago were seen trying to charge their vehicles with no luck amid frigid temperatures that have gripped the Midwest."

Source: Tesla Charging issues

Interesting read...

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: ‘A bunch of dead robots out here’"​

"Desperate Tesla owners in and around Chicago were seen trying to charge their vehicles with no luck amid frigid temperatures that have gripped the Midwest."

Source: Tesla Charging issues

Interesting read...
Imagine in Canada. All EV’s are inoperable. It’s colder there.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I charge mine at home overnight, so a non-issue. Plenty of range for daily commutes. Heck, my former ICE vehicle froze up during Arctic blasts.

Regarding the impact of cold weather on the range of EVs and MPG of ICE vehicles…….reduced about the same %:

1705550416352.jpeg

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb

I can't remember any of my vehicles failing to start in the cold weather (when I lived in a cold climate). I did keep up with all of the maintenance (including checking the efficacy of the coolant), load tested my battery prior to winter and added gas line anti-freeze occasionally. As far as reduced MPG, just purchase some more gas and keep going.

In doing further research, some Tesla users were saying the charge stations were froze up, while others were saying their battery packs would not take a charge. So if the end user found a working charger, there was no guarantee that the battery pack would take a charge.

And yes... I do agree if you are going to own an electric vehicle, you should keep it in a well insulated garage and charge it at home.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are degrees of cold climates. Mine is extreme actual sub zero temps with off the chart Windchills. During the last Arctic Blast in my cold weather climate, there was no access to gas stations or charging networks throughout the city. The few Tesla owners in Chicago, having cold weather charging issues, likely should not have been out, particularly if their vehicles were not fully charged. I doubt you would be traveling on snow packed roads in high wind, and subzero temps with a 1/4 tank of gas. :) Common sense and trip planning is critical…..EV or ICE.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb

I can't remember any of my vehicles failing to start in the cold weather (when I lived in a cold climate). I did keep up with all of the maintenance (including checking the efficacy of the coolant), load tested my battery prior to winter and added gas line anti-freeze occasionally.
You are in the minority then. Just go look at repair shops when there is a cold snap. Full of cars. Why? They didn't start. So, it's the way it is. With an EV, people just need to read up and see what they need to do. Just like with ICE, they rarely ever do and thus drive it until it won't start. Cars are appliances unless you are an enthusiast.

Top Bottom