• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll place this in the "Believe it when I see it" category.
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Eestor....

Envia....

Regardless: this major redesign will not happen before 2018. IIRC, Tesla's gigafactory should be cranking out battery packs about then too. I'll think about it ~2017....

First things first: get Elios well made and get them out the sales door!

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would assume that in the same way that the Elio design helps a gasoline drivetrain attain double the mileage, the same concept may apply to allow an EV version to get double the range on the same battery, or the same range on a much smaller and cheaper battery. Since range and battery cost are the main issues plaguing battery-electric vehicles the Elio concept may indeed have something to offer the EV market. Naturally if batteries became practically free that changes the whole game and race will be on to build the biggest, most luxurious electric land yachts imaginable.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem (as I see it) with electric, is we still have to "plug in to the grid". So as more and more EV's are plugging in, our need for more and more power plants increases, and our COSTs for electricity will increase, too... They're gonna get us one way or another! :mad:

Tony Gore

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Chevy Sonic a couple of years ago, I said my next car purchase would be an all electric. I had been doing a lot of research on EV's and their cost was staggering. There was a car from the Chinese company BYD (backed by Warren Buffett) that provided most of what I needed including range and safety of their proprietary battery technology that is suppose to be earth friendly and non toxic (the batteries). I asked the question at the time "WHY? Why can American companies not innovate and come up with cutting edge new advances like this for a reasonable price?" We are falling behind the rest of the world (namely Asia) in this regard.

During my research I came across a new 3D battery technology that is the brain child of American Scientist Dr. Amy Prieto, and accordingly, named the Prieto 3D Battery. It's based on nano wire with a polymer coating, which greatly increases it's capacity and reduces the weight, and removes the toxic waste and danger from traditional batteries. See an explaination here:

At one point they claimed that the cost to produce was about 1/3 the cost of traditional Li-Ion batteries. This American invention seems like the perfect idea to eventually partner with the Elio for either an ultra high milage hybrid or a completely fossil fuel free EV.

More information can be obtained from the Prieto website: http://prietobattery.com/

It's a pretty good bit of reading, but I couldn't stop until I had read every single page on their site. I'm excited for some of these young American companies that are actually helping to bring competition back to the USA. But honestly, the nerd in me would be excited over this kind of thing anyway, lol.

Another good read on the battery from last December when they were nearing protype production: http://innovationews.com/energy/pri...tion-of-its-unique-3d-lithium-ion-technology/

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I bought my Chevy Sonic a couple of years ago, I said my next car purchase would be an all electric. I had been doing a lot of research on EV's and their cost was staggering. There was a car from the Chinese company BYD (backed by Warren Buffett) that provided most of what I needed including range and safety of their proprietary battery technology that is suppose to be earth friendly and non toxic (the batteries). I asked the question at the time "WHY? Why can American companies not innovate and come up with cutting edge new advances like this for a reasonable price?" We are falling behind the rest of the world (namely Asia) in this regard.

During my research I came across a new 3D battery technology that is the brain child of American Scientist Dr. Amy Prieto, and accordingly, named the Prieto 3D Battery. It's based on nano wire with a polymer coating, which greatly increases it's capacity and reduces the weight, and removes the toxic waste and danger from traditional batteries. See an explaination here:

At one point they claimed that the cost to produce was about 1/3 the cost of traditional Li-Ion batteries. This American invention seems like the perfect idea to eventually partner with the Elio for either an ultra high milage hybrid or a completely fossil fuel free EV.

More information can be obtained from the Prieto website: http://prietobattery.com/

It's a pretty good bit of reading, but I couldn't stop until I had read every single page on their site. I'm excited for some of these young American companies that are actually helping to bring competition back to the USA. But honestly, the nerd in me would be excited over this kind of thing anyway, lol.

Another good read on the battery from last December when they were nearing protype production: http://innovationews.com/energy/pri...tion-of-its-unique-3d-lithium-ion-technology/
I'm curious, how can you have a completely fossil fuel free EV when the electricity needed to regenerate a battery is created, in most cases, by fossil fuels? :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've owned one electric vehicle designed to be run on public roads .... right now its back at the dealer where it is purchased where I hope it will be sold on consignment .... the time may eventually come when I might buy another but the technology just isn't there for me to buy one for anything other than casual use .... with an Elio we should be able to go where we want, when we want .... it doesn't require overnight recharging ... I have no problems with folks who want one, but for me, been there, done that, no desire to repeat the experience

Jim

Top Bottom