• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it didn't have either .... as was the case years ago, you could raise or lower the windows ... they did have a provision for a portable propane heater but I didn't buy one

Jim
Early VW Beetles ran an optional heater from the fuel tank. Propane would work but is still fossil. Don't electric motors generate "some" heat?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Early VW Beetles ran an optional heater from the fuel tank. Propane would work but is still fossil. Don't electric motors generate "some" heat?

Yes electric motors do generate heat. In the Tesla both the electric motor and battery pack are liquid cooled and they do run this coolant through a heat exchanger to assist in warming cabin air. Depending on the ambient temperature this does eliminate or reduce the need for running the electric resistance heater elements.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I realize that this isn't politically correct but I couldn't care less about burning fossil fuels .... for folks who do, go for it .... I simply don't buy all the hysteria

Jim

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it didn't have either .... as was the case years ago, you could raise or lower the windows ... they did have a provision for a portable propane heater but I didn't buy one

Jim

Just curious. One of the things about the Leaf that I found to be neat was an app for your phone that would allow you to pre heat or pre cool the cabin before you unplugged the car.

FWIW, the coldest ride of my life was a trip home from the Runoffs at Road Atlanta in the mid 80's, in my VW camper. That blankety blank gasoline heater quit just outside of Chattanooga, and I ran into snow before I got home. Had to stop and crawl into a sleeping bag in the back several times to warm up. :-(

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
FWIW, the coldest ride of my life was a trip home from the Runoffs at Road Atlanta in the mid 80's, in my VW camper. That blankety blank gasoline heater quit just outside of Chattanooga, and I ran into snow before I got home. Had to stop and crawl into a sleeping bag in the back several times to warm up. :-(

years ago I purchased a used VW Beetle .... it wasn't long before I leaned that someone who had rebuilt the motor used 4 different size pistons ..:confused:.. I had a heater installed that was advertised to work off of heat radiated from the exhaust manifold .... that little heater worked well on a 90+ degree day but on a cold day you would have been better off lighting a candle .... a heater was a dealer installed option for my first Jeep (a '65 CJ5), it came in a box in the back of the Jeep .... once installed it worked OK if you took cardboard and blocked most of the radiator opening .... ahhhhh, those weren't the days ..:eek:

Jim

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my range expectancy too. If I can get 200 miles, it can do anything I need without worry. I do understand that there are still some fossil fuels involved with electricity generation in most areas and I think it's still around 65% coal/natural gas production or something in that range. My goal is to use as little as possible, including looking at alternative ways to produce electricity for my home, using the grid as a backup. Solar / Wind are more affordable than they have been, but that's getting way off topic...

IF the new batteries suddenly give the possibility for a 300 mile range then that is a game changer for my opinion, and something I would certainly invest in and love to see as an option for a future version of the Elio. Even a hybrid that could combine the reliability of the Elio's 84 mpg with the low cost mileage of these newer battery technologies.
You can order a Tesla S today with a range of 295 miles; striking distance to the 300 mile range you see as a game changer. Where I see a game changer would be Tesla's mega battery plant in Reno becoming technologicaly obsolete if one of these alternative batteries proves its merit.

Tony Gore

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't think that 300 miles @ $70k + price is a game changer. It's a really nice car but the cost is out of most people's range, including mine, so I don't see Telsa as a game changer as that takes more than range alone.

What I would see as a game changer would be these kinds of milage from battery alone in a small commuter like the elio, without the cost of all of those batteries that run the price of the Telsa up to over 70K. If they can indeed be produced for 1/3 the cost of traditional EV batteries, and assuming the usual tossed around number that the EV's batteries add about $10k to the cost of the car, then if you take roughly $3,300. and add it to the elio's $6800 price you would have a $10k EV. I know the economics don't work out exactly like that, but just using rough estimates. Again, I cannot find the original article where I read that cost estimate (for the Preito battery).

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I don't think that 300 miles @ $70k + price is a game changer. It's a really nice car but the cost is out of most people's range, including mine, so I don't see Telsa as a game changer as that takes more than range alone.

What I would see as a game changer would be these kinds of milage from battery alone in a small commuter like the elio, without the cost of all of those batteries that run the price of the Telsa up to over 70K. If they can indeed be produced for 1/3 the cost of traditional EV batteries, and assuming the usual tossed around number that the EV's batteries add about $10k to the cost of the car, then if you take roughly $3,300. and add it to the elio's $6800 price you would have a $10k EV. I know the economics don't work out exactly like that, but just using rough estimates. Again, I cannot find the original article where I read that cost estimate (for the Preito battery).

I live in the world biggest geezer-ville. There are 50K + golf carts here and the choice between ICE and Battery is debated and choices are made. The top elec. carts get 80 miles on a charge. ICE carts get about 50 mpg., the battery carts cost a couple grand less and have a charger. About every three years the electric carts have to dish out about $600 to $800 for new batteries. Some people choose one some the other. Mine is ICE, but both sell. ICE's do sell about 2 to 1 more. I don't know that there is a real point to this, except even though both can perform the needed function. People still vote with their wallets.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in the world biggest geezer-ville. There are 50K + golf carts here and the choice between ICE and Battery is debated and choices are made. The top elec. carts get 80 miles on a charge. ICE carts get about 50 mpg., the battery carts cost a couple grand less and have a charger. About every three years the electric carts have to dish out about $600 to $800 for new batteries. Some people choose one some the other. Mine is ICE, but both sell. ICE's do sell about 2 to 1 more. I don't know that there is a real point to this, except even though both can perform the needed function. People still vote with their wallets.
Jay, Has anyone inquired if an Elio could be used on the courses as a golf cart yet?

Top Bottom