• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
if you had a choice, simply checking a different box when ordering online, same price …would you choose an EV Elio or an ICE Elio ??
as the Elio is sold as " a second "commuter" vehicle" range is not really a selling point , correct ??

ICE is the main reason I even looked at the Elio. Electric is a non-starter. It's worse in basically every way including emissions here in the coal-burning East.

Range is a huge selling point even in a commuter vehicle. I don't always go straight home. And last night I had to take a 10-mile longer detour to get home due to an accident. Finally, I like not having to "fuel" my vehicle every single day like I would have to with an electric. I fill the 10 gallon tank on my Insight once every three weeks, not every single day like I would with an electric.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One Electric City Elio for around town errands, which is most of my driving time in retirement and one ICE Country Elio for long overnight road trips. The EV would no doubt be $6800 + $ battery pack option.

I look forward to a future Elio EV......150-200 mile range......0 emissions, hub motors, quick 0-60, quiet ride, limited routine maintenance. Both available drive options ideal...................different strokes for different folks......needs.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although I'm a fan of electric vehicles and the Elio, I sinply do not think the two should combine... yet
This is the time to ask:
1. can we? (which is technically, YES)
2. SHOULD we? For Elio, is currently a NO.

Elio is built on currently and easily available technically and parts.
Also, it would be best to have a complete new build for an EV in the Elio class.
Frankly, it would be a completely different vehicle. Possibly even a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Get the Elio operational, sell a few hundred thousand, become established, become refined, add even more options (yes even offer turbos and diesels as options)
Then there will be enough data to consider the EV Elio equivalent. I still think that this would be a good fleet market including ZIP car, etc.

Now a collaboration with Elio and Tesla....
Well, that would be exciting.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought someone had a good idea, on another thread... make the back third wheel... electric powered, with those brakes that regenerate the battery charge... for short trips in town, under 40 miles... for long trips... just start the gas engine...

EM did say they were going to come out with different power trains for Elio's... but they wanted to wait a couple of years of production on the regular Elio's... then later they will add the new models in...

So a new group of people can put money down, and get on a production list to wait for a new Elio model that does not exist just ... yet...

Waiting is soooo hard... I want to be riding the roads in my Elio... waving to other Elio owners... as I see the US... going to Elio rally's across the Nation... it just sounds like fun to me....

Proud to Be... an Elio owner # MMCCXXV see ya on the road...

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned something like that back in August (electric back wheel), and was actually looking into what would be involved in making it happen. Then someone threw the "upsprung weight messing with the handling" wrench into the works. Still might be possible with a belt drive system though.

Just a thought...
I am told that the Elio will handle just fine with two 250lb people inside... so if there is only one person is inside.. then you could have about 250lbs of weight in the backseat area with no problems in the handling... how much does the motor and battery system weight?? if it is 250lbs or less then you should be fine... you are just always carrying a extra person with you...

Could you remove the backseat and place a electric motor with rechargeable battery system in it's place, to use as the power drive for the back wheel for short city driving...
You would only have room for golf clubs or Pizza boxes in the back shelf area... But, it Sure sounds like a upgrade to me... get the plans going...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner #2225 MMCCXXV see ya on the road...

Last edited:

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it just seems NUTS !!

we KNOW the pollution from carbon based fuels is destroying the planet, and our bodies.

we KNOW there is a finite amount of oil on the planet

in our daily lives we use electric motors all the time, from a/c or heat
tools
appliances
electric windows !

yet this AWESOME purpose-designed transportation vehicle , like the Sparrow and so many before it, has to be delivered with an ICE engine

every day lately when I read the same things regurgitated one more time, with pretty pictures of shinny ICE motor parts taped together ..i am saddened to think this project is held hostage by antique technology..

read the articles on the TESLA, insane acceleration and range ! Dependability to the point they have repair vans that drive TO the customers !!

IF YOU HAD THE OPTION, TO CHECK EV OR ICE, AND RANGE WAS SUFFICIENT TO HANDLE YOUR COMMUTING NEEDS, WHAT WOULD YOU PICK ??

SAME PRICE !

HMMMMMM

OR

VVVVVVRRRRRRRRUUUMMMM

choice ?

I recently had Mark Grinnall ship me just the rear section of the Scorpion III

THE FINAL DRIVE PIVOTS ON THE CHASIS SO IF I CAN SIMPLY REMOVE THE ENGINE/TRANSMISSION (4 BOLTS) AND UTILIZE THAT SPACE TO MOUNT AN 8" DC MOTOR WITH COUPLINGS TO ATTACH THE OUTPUT SHAFT TO THE FINAL DRIVE SHAFT
THEN LOCATE THE BATTERIES FOR BEST CG AND CONTROLLER/CHARGER WHERE THE RADIATOR WAS LOCATED

MAYBE SOMEDAY IN MY LIFETIME !!

Top Bottom