• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may have been smart for EM to have developed both the ICEElio along with an EVElio Model in tandem. The EVElio may have helped to lock in the ATVM Loan to insure the ICEElio's funding for production................an urban commuter and a suburban commuter..........marketing to both commuter demographic needs.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read post 93
ah, my bad I didn't realize that one of our members, who's career was a writer/producer of industrial videos, and a good search engine, has published here. Well, I guess then it must be so, if he writes it and you site his research as a proof.
Me, I tend to be more reality based., but that's what makes the world so interesting. each to their own. The flat earth society, and the belief that man walked with dinasours are too an acceptable alternative for some. T.G we have the Eliohere that overcomes such differences.
I'd like to let this drop, and get back on the thread, if not send me a p.m. and we can talk

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If man causes global warming, then spitting into the ocean causes rising seas levels.
It's a contributory thing. Are you saying man has no effect on the environment? Cities are heat islands, that has zero effect?
I think the simplicity of the arguments move the debate itself into misleading concepts. All man made?, humph, all NOT man made? , double humph.

I would prefer to find out that 99% of the science community is wrong and man has no effect.
I 100% hate the idea of finding out in such a way that no one can deny, i.e after the fact, that they were right.

Look, I'm only 62. But I've seen an undeniable shift during my life span. Is it man made? I don't care, if we can do something to offset all that's been lost, we better do it.

There was another time that just a few species dominated the earth, long before the dinosaurs. There were then huge changes that this seemed to trigger and that ended those species forever. If that happens to us, I 'suppose' it's for the best. It's the way of evolution. We will certainly have earned it.

The changes that have happened since we began to dominate are at least as dramatic, something is gonna give. I'm just hoping my grand kids don't have to see it.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a contributory thing. Are you saying man has no effect on the environment? Cities are heat islands, that has zero effect?
I think the simplicity of the arguments move the debate itself into misleading concepts. All man made?, humph, all NOT man made? , double humph.

I would prefer to find out that 99% of the science community is wrong and man has no effect.
I 100% hate the idea of finding out in such a way that no one can deny, i.e after the fact, that they were right.

Look, I'm only 62. But I've seen an undeniable shift during my life span. Is it man made? I don't care, if we can do something to offset all that's been lost, we better do it.

There was another time that just a few species dominated the earth, long before the dinosaurs. There were then huge changes that this seemed to trigger and that ended those species forever. If that happens to us, I 'suppose' it's for the best. It's the way of evolution. We will certainly have earned it.

The changes that have happened since we began to dominate are at least as dramatic, something is gonna give. I'm just hoping my grand kids don't have to see it.

You hit the nail on the head. No matter who does what, the world will spin on and life will continue in some form. I'm of the opinion that the only real threat caused by global warming is unexpected weather patterns and a dire need to vacate the low-lying lands and cities. But maybe dispersing our population away from dense urban centers could be a good thing? Just thoughts...

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So you're old enough to remember the time that our great climate concern was the inevitable upcoming ICE AGE we were entering. I've seen Crisis agitators all my life and the evidence they use is often contrived or more often, misrepresented.

If you want a crisis, just measure temperatures beginning at 6 AM and ending at 3PM and you'll have "evidence" of global warming. Or, start measuring at 6 PM and end at 3AM and you'll have evidence for Global Freezing.

Most of the "evidence" has been manipulated to get funding and other is simply misunderstanding of very long term cycles.

The man made portion is appropriately compared to spitting in the ocean because all we do is a small fraction of naturally occurring processes. You can manipulate one side of the equation and ignore it's effects all day if you want to raise the alarm, and get grant money.

ps Recorded history is far too brief to determine what normal is, particularly with great fear over half a degree change based on measurements with precision of plus or minus 5 degrees for most of it's time.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ummm...I see this conversation entering the taboo realm of religion and politics.

So...How about a scaled down version of this beauty. ;)

http://www.electricautosport.com/2016/03/hydrogen-fuel-cell-lmp3-racer-delft/

Sure, hydrogen refueling stations are few and far between, but if the infrastructure was there I think that a hydrogen top-off on a trip would much quicker than waiting for a battery to recharge. Range-wise, I don't know enough about fuel cells and their rate of hydrogen consumption per kwh, but I'm going to keep an eye out for news about the above noted race...They said something about an April 1 test bench run.

Give me a vehicle with a 100kw hydrogen fuel cell with a 0 - 60 mph in 4 seconds, and you might convince me that EVs are the way to go.

Just an example of what can be done...note at 0:21 into the video, a sweet view of the Flat Irons in Boulder. My absolute favorite range in CO. :D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I made mention of hydrogen fuel cell cars in another thread and it seemed like most just dismissed it. Here's an EV that had the same fuel time as an ICE vehicle; super clean, doesn't have the size and weight problems of battery powered EV's.
But people want to ignore it; they start siting "Hindenburg" and think bombs but in a hydrogen powered car that's not even close to the truth; they are safe.
That video showed what a fuel cell can do. There are a number of car companies doing development with fuel cell power; here's a partial list of the development work
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

Toyota released a fuel cell car last year. I see hydrogen as being the future of the EV

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I made mention of hydrogen fuel cell cars in another thread and it seemed like most just dismissed it. Here's an EV that had the same fuel time as an ICE vehicle; super clean, doesn't have the size and weight problems of battery powered EV's.
But people want to ignore it; they start siting "Hindenburg" and think bombs but in a hydrogen powered car that's not even close to the truth; they are safe.
That video showed what a fuel cell can do. There are a number of car companies doing development with fuel cell power; here's a partial list of the development work
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

Toyota released a fuel cell car last year. I see hydrogen as being the future of the EV

Proving your point about the safety of Li batteries from PCWorld"

Thankfully, such explosions are rare. Some are due to manufacturing problems, like those that affected millions of Sony laptop batteries in 2008, while others are due to damaged batteries. The recent fire of a Tesla car, which packs hundreds of Lithium Ion cells, was blamed on damage caused by road debris.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2685...-danger-of-damaged-lithium-ion-batteries.html

Top Bottom