• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Poll Reality Check

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments

• Nothing. OK as is.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Up to $600

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Up to $900

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Up to $1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1200

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess I was specifically trying to find a non-phone/tablet solution--hardwired, so it didn't rely on wireless signals or batteries. Even if it is a cheap used smartphone, you still got to turn the thing off every time you leave the car, and turn it back on whenever you get back in. And phones tend to get hot with continuous use/charging/discharging. And then there is the screen auto-off, having to reach over and physically touch the phone screen each time you want to change functions, the risk of it getting stolen if you leave it in the car (more a window-replacement cost issue)....

I'll probably have a number of car-centric apps on my Elio Dedicated Tablet, too. I was just pondering alternatives.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess I was specifically trying to find a non-phone/tablet solution--hardwired, so it didn't rely on wireless signals or batteries. Even if it is a cheap used smartphone, you still got to turn the thing off every time you leave the car, and turn it back on whenever you get back in. And phones tend to get hot with continuous use/charging/discharging. And then there is the screen auto-off, having to reach over and physically touch the phone screen each time you want to change functions, the risk of it getting stolen if you leave it in the car (more a window-replacement cost issue)....

I'll probably have a number of car-centric apps on my Elio Dedicated Tablet, too. I was just pondering alternatives.

I had never really considered optional displays until I was looking at this site and someone mentioned HUD (Heads Up Display). So I did some looking and did a search on OBD2 enabled HUD.
The A8 and W02 are really interesting. Both less than $50. The only thing I need before I make a decision is the red line on the Elio. I think I remember 7200 from someplace but I'm not certain. W02 peaks at 7500. A8 peaks at 7000.
Decisions, decisions.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't really care what the tach or speedo are, or how they display. I'd prefer something that makes use of the info in a more productive way. For a gas-sipping car like this, I want to know how efficiently I'm driving at any given moment and how to drive more efficiently if possible. Red/Yellow/Green gradient with a message on how to be more efficient - if its red, it tells me to slow down or shift, or whatever would optimize the fuel efficiency at that moment. Help me get familiar with the specific sweet spot/range of the drivetrain.

And then I'd want the ability to turn that damn thing off.

Frankly the only time I look at the tach/speedo currently is when I see police around. If my quick glance just gives me a number, that's fine.
...Torque will do that as well...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

In reality, it makes a lot more sense to just use your current cell phone. Here's how it would work.
1. You start your car.
2. Set your phone in the Qi charger.
3. The phone "sees" the Bluetooth adapter and knows to start the torque app.
4. Torque comes on and displays your preferred starting screen (gauges, leafs that grow if you are efficient, etc.)
5. The screen stays on because Torque can "always be on top" and "keep screen from going to sleep"
6. Drive like a maniac.
7. Stop driving like a maniac.
8. Turn off car.
9. Phone sees adapter has powered down so it turns off torque.
10. Take your phone.
11. Done.
12. (alternate step) Walk like you graduated from the school of silly walks.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I look at the needle on the speedometer I mentally see the number without really looking at it; so, when I look at the number on the Elgin will I mentally see a needle that would be pointing to it?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When I look at the needle on the speedometer I mentally see the number without really looking at it; so, when I look at the number on the Elgin will I mentally see a needle that would be pointing to it?
You brain would have to translate that number to what you're used to seeing. It's that lag that can cause a problem.
There are so many subconscious decisions we make while driving that a change can be hard to adapt to.

And these Apps that are out now should be tested with what you drive now.
If you want to have a "real" test; put a piece of cardboard over your existing gauge cluster; set up the App and put your phone where you can see it comfortably. Drive with just the App for 3 to 5 days and see how you are with it.
That will tell you 10x more then any discussion could.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My MB Sprinter had a ~4x6 screen as part of the instrument panel. Speed was fairly large. I got used to looking at it. I would like to replace the Elio instruments with a tablet screen.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My MB Sprinter had a ~4x6 screen as part of the instrument panel. Speed was fairly large. I got used to looking at it. I would like to replace the Elio instruments with a tablet screen.
9" x 5" is the size of the area the Elgin cluster is in; that's what you have to work with.
Find a tablet that will fill that; and you've got it.
How do you plan on turn signal indicators, warning lights and Hi-beam indicator?

Top Bottom