• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Poll Reality Check

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments

• Nothing. OK as is.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Up to $600

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Up to $900

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Up to $1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1200

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish Elio actually cared what people had to say. Paul would be particularly arrogant if he ignored them for '...faster horse' reasons. My take as a customer (copied from my Dec 2014 post):

Me: Oh, interesting new gauge concept, maybe someone will like it; but I certainly won't add that option in my vehicle.
EM: HAHA! It'll be on the base model.
Me: Fine, I'll get the option to go with the dash the P4 uses.
EM: HAHA! No such alternative option in place.
Me: Oh look, you'll now have a neato SkyzMatic dash I could replace it with!
EM: HAHA! Not a dash replacement, and possibly 30% of the base cost.
Me: Geez, then I'll just use Torque and an OBDII dongle to get all my readings.
EM: HAHA! That functionality won't exist on the Base model.
Me: Oh, so I can get that functionality as an option?
EM: HAHA! Of course not.
Me: OMG! Then I suppose I'm forced to get a quick and easy dash replacement with temp/voltage/etc from a Pick 'N Pull or online.
EM: GOOD LUCK! Our decision to go with idiot lights might may mean a long electrical headache or big expense is in your future. We've made sure you'll suffer the maximum for not liking our sacred design and appreciating the $10 we saved you.
Me: WTF!?

It doesn't appear anything changed since that post.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish Elio actually cared what people had to say. Paul would be particularly arrogant if he ignored them for '...faster horse' reasons. My take as a customer (copied from my Dec 2014 post):

Me: Oh, interesting new gauge concept, maybe someone will like it; but I certainly won't add that option in my vehicle.
EM: HAHA! It'll be on the base model.
Me: Fine, I'll get the option to go with the dash the P4 uses.
EM: HAHA! No such alternative option in place.
Me: Oh look, you'll now have a neato SkyzMatic dash I could replace it with!
EM: HAHA! Not a dash replacement, and possibly 30% of the base cost.
Me: Geez, then I'll just use Torque and an OBDII dongle to get all my readings.
EM: HAHA! That functionality won't exist on the Base model.
Me: Oh, so I can get that functionality as an option?
EM: HAHA! Of course not.
Me: OMG! Then I suppose I'm forced to get a quick and easy dash replacement with temp/voltage/etc from a Pick 'N Pull or online.
EM: GOOD LUCK! Our decision to go with idiot lights might may mean a long electrical headache or big expense is in your future. We've made sure you'll suffer the maximum for not liking our sacred design and appreciating the $10 we saved you.
Me: WTF!?

It doesn't appear anything changed since that post.

If I were you, I cut my losses and run! You'd probably have a stroke if you had to look at that ridiculous Elgin dash everyday. Life's too short ["I've suffered many great tragedies in my life...Some of which actually happened ~ Mark Twain (didn't look up the 'verbatim' quote...but you get the gist)!

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When the head guy has to have HIS way, despite what the vast majority of his constituents want, you get the Elgin...where have we seen THAT before???

After reviewing the 12 pages of postings here, the majority complaint boils down to, "it ain't what I'm used to, it ain't what I like, and I don't like the lack of choice." Maybe that makes for lively discussion, but at the most recent Ohio Elioowners conclave I posed the Elgin dash question to many of the participants. No one had real issues with it, and this poll seems to show at least majority acquiescence Elgin 1.jpg Elgin 2.jpg .

Prior to the digital revolution, dashboard options didn't exist (except, in limited cases, for sport options that provided gauges instead of idiot lights). You didn't like the dash, you didn't have to buy that model car. I respect those who state they no longer have adequate near vision, and believe they will have a bonafide problem viewing it.

The interesting point is that the dash is a throwback to the dashboards of the 1930s (see first photo attached). If the car was meant to pay homage to that period in styling and features, it would make more sense.

Personally, I like the look in watches (see two additional photos of two modern watches), and can understand PE's interest. But I also understand those who have laid out a deposit, maybe saw the prototype analog gauge cluster, and respond, "it ain't what I'm used to, it ain't what I like, and I don't like the lack of choice."

Attachments

• Elgin 3.jpg
    Elgin 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 190

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...this poll seems to show at least majority acquiescence...
True.
The other one doesn't.
By a long shot.

HERE is the link to the other (unslanted) poll.

This other poll is simple. It has two choices.
It doesn't exclude those in the likely common scenario of, "No, it is not O.K. as it is at all, I just won't be able to afford to modify it."

Has anyone noticed this thread has reached 100 pages? This should be an indication to the Elio team (who probably monitor this forum) how much the elgin gauge cluster is disliked.
Well said.

Actually, that thread is now 135 pages long.
Now, could there possibly be a lot of people that absolutely do not want the "&%$@#" dash?
People who DO know themselves and are very much in touch with their reasons for their disdain of this POS?
Something's going on there, just sayin'

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="HHH, post: 103803, member: Snipped: I also understand those who have laid out a deposit, maybe saw the prototype analog gauge cluster, and respond, "it ain't what I'm used to, it ain't what I like, and I don't like the lack of choice."[/QUOTE]

upload_2015-6-8_11-21-55.jpeg

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am willing to give it a try. However, I am concerned. Being on the north side of 50 and near-sighted to start with, my choice is distance, reading or brave bifocals and get the neck exercise. If I cannot read the dial with my distance glasses, I will just have to go without knowing my actual speed. I think that will wind up being an insurance factor. I suspect that a lot of us will get pulled over even if we are the slowest one in the pack just so the police officer can take a look at our wheels. The more tickets, the higher the vehicle's insurance risk -- I think. I am not an insurance person; but I think it is driven off of statistics.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread from a year ago.
The poll is funny, I wonder if 59,7% of the folks on the forum still would agree that it's "fine the way it is"?
And the 29% that would pay up to $300; I'd like that too, but it doesn't cover the cost of the gauges.
8.1% at "up to" $600 is getting close to reality, and would cover the gauges, but not any of the sending units.
The 1% at $900 knows what it takes; I don't think the cost will be that high, probably closer to $750 is right in the neighborhood.
Seeing some of the premade dash kits that are available on the market now, usually run $1,000 to $1,200 not installed.
Someone may be able to find one or two at a price much lower; that is until they read the small print and find out that the bargain basement ones won't work in their application.
As important as a dash instrument cluster is, not many put much of a value on it.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread from a year ago.
The poll is funny, I wonder if 59,7% of the folks on the forum still would agree that it's "fine the way it is"?
And the 29% that would pay up to $300; I'd like that too, but it doesn't cover the cost of the gauges.
8.1% at "up to" $600 is getting close to reality, and would cover the gauges, but not any of the sending units.
The 1% at $900 knows what it takes; I don't think the cost will be that high, probably closer to $750 is right in the neighborhood.
Seeing some of the premade dash kits that are available on the market now, usually run $1,000 to $1,200 not installed.
Someone may be able to find one or two at a price much lower; that is until they read the small print and find out that the bargain basement ones won't work in their application.
As important as a dash instrument cluster is, not many put much of a value on it.

I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY MIND A BIT .
I HATE THE ELGIN DASH AND WOULD GLADLY PAY 300 BUCKS TO GET RID OF IT .

Top Bottom