• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Poll Reality Check

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments

• Nothing. OK as is.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Up to $600

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Up to $900

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Up to $1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1200

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just so his dad and mom weren't brother and sister- I'm cool
BTW did dad's webbed fingers help in catching small parts before they hit the tarmac ?

Well, his mom's side's from Kentucky, and like 8 of them came up in the back of a pick-up truck for a family reunion, so......:rolleyes:

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You made me check! My Suby - nope, but my F-250 and my wife's Jeep both have little triangles/arrows pointing toward the fill side...Myth busted!;) Apparently, it's only Americans that need to be reminded which side the gas cap is on.
<snip>
Just how old is your Subaru? My '06 has the fuel door indicator.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is no myth, its regulation. But it's not which side the pump icon is on, its which direction the arrow right next to it is pointing. I am sure the final elgin dash will receive its little arrow.

whichsidethegascapison.jpg

Fuel-Gauge-Arrow-iStock.jpg
I believe some older Jaguars have fillers on both sides for convenience. Do these have two arrows?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, some of the older Jag saloons had two tanks - with a changeover switch. I think they were about 14 gal (US) each. I had two tanks on a motorhome and a Travelall, both of which had truly miserable gas gauges. I just ran on the rear tank, then when it ran dry (noted by the engine stumbling), I'd switch to the other and motor onward . . . with a big red flag in my consciousness to stop in an hour or two and fill BOTH tanks. It never failed me, but filling saddle tanks can be a pain. I ordered a single 40-gallon tank on my next Suburban for convenience, but at least the gas gauge was accurate and I could go back to my usual driving habits; watching the gauge infrequently.

That habit came back to bite me a couple of months ago. I had the fuel pump replaced on the beatervan, filled up with gas and within four miles pumped all of the fuel overboard. It seems the mechanic didn't seat the fuel lines properly and I lost 18 gallons of fuel in about ten minutes, before burning up the new fuel pump. It seems these things are designed to run submerged, using the gas for a cooling medium. OOPS! The shop came and towed the van in, replaced the pump - and the gas - and refunding my purchase of a tow strap I needed to get the thing to my driveway. Then they deducted the cost of all of this from the paycheck of the mechanic who worked on the van. Sounds fair to me . . .

I guess if I'd been watching that big gas gauge a little more closely I'd have noticed the thing was losing fuel at a tremendous rate, but only noticed the trail I was leaving aftere the thing ran out of gas and stumbled to a halt about three blocks from home. Yup, there was a long trail of gasoline behind me. Some things, I guess, you just can't take for granted.

Top Bottom