• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio And Gas Prices

At what price would you not but an Elio?

• $2.75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you are serious, you should check if you need some sort of EPA approval. Also, if you are not on a farm, many local gov'ts. have limits on large containers of such products in residential areas. Something about not blowing up your neighbors.

Ya we have 2 300 tanks on stands at the farm and 1 in town. I live in a small farming community so it wouldn't be out of the norm to move one in my backyard.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless you use a lot of gas regularly then storing gas is useless. Gas will go bad after some time and anyway if you get an Elio you won't need much gas.
If Elio was around in the 60's you could do what I did on my Cushman, pull up to the pump and DRAIN the hose from each pump.

I hate to burst your bubble Wayne but we recently tapped into a 500 gallon barrel of full leaded gas that my dad filled up in the 70's and it still runs in our tractors just fine. And yes, storing gas does make sense. If I buy now at say 2.90 and it goes up a dime a week like it has in the past then I'm saving money. If it goes down I just buy at the pump and save the stored gas for when the price does go up again.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The shelf life of gasoline depends on the type of gas and the storage conditions and can range from a couple months to a couple years. One wild card is that gas you buy at the pump may already have been in storage for anywhere from days to months.

What makes gas go stale? Usually the first thing that happens is the lighter chemicals in it evaporate, leaving behind a heavier, less peppy product. Gasoline is an ideal motor vehicle fuel partly because it vaporizes readily to form a combustible mix with air. If it sits unused, however, its more volatile components waft away, leading to poorer engine performance. It's hard to tell how much punch your gas has lost without scientific testing, but don't worry — though your car might start a little harder, it'll still run (assuming it ran before), and there's little risk in burning the fuel if this is all that's gone wrong.

The second cause of bad gas is oxidation — some of the hydrocarbons in the fuel react with oxygen to produce new compounds, almost all of them worse than what you started with. When oxidation becomes a problem, you'll know it without lab tests — the gasoline gives off a sour odor.

Gas will go bad. For what I've seen in the past Tractors will run on almost anything.

In a way you could say a dead deer run over by a truck on the road will still be good to eat, after all the other animals eat it.

Last edited:

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble Wayne but we recently tapped into a 500 gallon barrel of full leaded gas that my dad filled up in the 70's and it still runs in our tractors just fine. And yes, storing gas does make sense. If I buy now at say 2.90 and it goes up a dime a week like it has in the past then I'm saving money. If it goes down I just buy at the pump and save the stored gas for when the price does go up again.
Bring back that old leaded gas; those were the days! In those markets where ethanol blends are the norm, things may have changed since then. The folks selling fuel stabilizers will tell you that the ethanol begins to separate from the gasoline as soon as one week. This, and the added corrosiveness of ethanol is supposed to lead to rusting problems for steel tanks not designed to store it.

I use such a stabilizer in my bike, just to avoid these potential problems from the gas sitting in the tank.

Top Bottom