• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Bus

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dymaxion-by-Buckminster-Fuller.jpg

Well not really. In 1933 Inventor/architect Buckminster Fuller designed the Dymaxion. It seated 11 got 33MPG (very good for the era) and while it was never documented doing over 90MPH it was claimed it could hit 120.

Only a handful were built and even fewer survive. It had a wood frame so you should be able to cobble one together if you wish. A rear mounted ford V8 produced 85HP through the front wheels. The rear wheel provided the steering and was controlled by a stick not unlike an airplane.

An early crash that killed a driver scared the investors away and nothing ever became of the project.
buckminsterfuller1.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 583

Well not really. In 1933 Inventor/architect Buckminster Fuller designed the Dymaxion. It seated 11 got 33MPG (very good for the era) and while it was never documented doing over 90MPH it was claimed it could hit 120.

Only a handful were built and even fewer survive. It had a wood frame so you should be able to cobble one together if you wish. A rear mounted ford V8 produced 85HP through the front wheels. The rear wheel provided the steering and was controlled by a stick not unlike an airplane.

An early crash that killed a driver scared the investors away and nothing ever became of the project.
View attachment 584
That is just too cool.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me of something I took to the top of Sandia Peak when I was in NM. ;):D

I do remember seeing a pretty good documentary on Modern Marvels, or the ilk, a while back. Very interesting design! Buckminster Fuller...another 20th century genius.

Side note: When I was working on my CAD degree (architectural design during that semester), one of our guest speakers, a fellow in his late 70's, maybe early 80's, was an understudy of Mr. Fuller's.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 583

View attachment 584
we can only hope no disaster of the EM project will scare investors away!!!

Top Bottom