• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio. Car With A Hernia.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is obvious that the exhaust routing has been a challenge and its not yet resolved very well to my eye. Its functional but contrived.

The exhaust routing so close to the oil pan heats the engine oil, reducing engine life. That's a design flaw. Then it twists under the transaxle and steering linkage rubber boots, and they will also be affected by the heat. All just to finally sneak over the frame rail and out the side body panel behind the shroud. Insulation tape wrap around the exhaust is a non-durable solution, it tears and degrades easily and can keep moisture next to the exhaust tubing causing it to rot out - unless the exhaust will be stainless steel (I hope so!). Where is the muffler? Behind the side body shroud?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I hope EM explores and develops routing the exhaust to the side in front of the engine rather than going under it, a more direct solution.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is obvious that the exhaust routing has been a challenge and its not yet resolved very well to my eye. Its functional but contrived.

The exhaust routing so close to the oil pan heats the engine oil, reducing engine life. That's a design flaw. Then it twists under the transaxle and steering linkage rubber boots, and they will also be affected by the heat. All just to finally sneak over the frame rail and out the side body panel behind the shroud. Insulation tape wrap around the exhaust is a non-durable solution, it tears and degrades easily and can keep moisture next to the exhaust tubing causing it to rot out - unless the exhaust will be stainless steel (I hope so!). Where is the muffler? Behind the side body shroud? View attachment 8217 View attachment 8218 View attachment 8219 View attachment 8220

I hope EM explores and develops routing the exhaust to the side in front of the engine rather than going under it, a more direct solution.
Aren't you forgetting that the final design intends to route the exhaust to the right side of the Elio, not the left as shown in your pics? It's routed to the left in the current prototype because that was the prior design, which EM did not have time to re-engineer in time for the LA and North American auto shows. EM has abandoned that design in favor of a right-side exhaust (as indicated in the latest renderings and the external "hump" shown on the P5).

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I opt for "supporting" the bulge in this reiteration of the Elio because it's the quick, dirty and fast solution. The complaints all seem to be about aesthetics and not function. I personally think it looks cool.
I personally would never have noticed it unless someone had pointed it out to me. (Now, of course...)

I just don't want my bulge to change color, warp, melt, crack or sag. Who would?
I just don't want my bulge to swell and grow every time he pulls up next to a Lamborghini or a Maserati Gran Turismo. (I'm afraid he might behave badly around an Audi RS5, but with that model having been around for 50 years, I'm afraid the Audi would simply flick her headlights at my Elio and say, "Call me when you're a little more ... experienced." as she glides away.)

(I don't want the ELIO'S bulge to swell! The ELIO'S bulge! sheesh...)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aren't you forgetting that the final design intends to route the exhaust to the right side of the Elio, not the left as shown in your pics? It's routed to the left in the current prototype because that was the prior design, which EM did not have time to re-engineer in time for the LA and North American auto shows. EM has abandoned that design in favor of a right-side exhaust (as indicated in the latest renderings and the external "hump" shown on the P5).

What do you mean? The pictures he posted are of the P5, and clearly show a right-side exhaust setup. The pictures are mostly looking back, towards the rear tire, so what seems to be on the left is actually the starboard side of the Elio.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"didn't have time to re-engineer in time for the LA and North American Auto Shows?" It's going on 9 years now. How much time does an engineer need to engineer and design what is a rather simple vehicle design? Is it an off the shelf parts dilemma? Can't find a part to fit and function? Waiting for a better part to happen along? Engineering and design issues should be able to be resolved with sophisticated computer aided design simulations and computer renderings not actual prototype building. I ass.u.me there is a detailed exploded part diagram of the Elio that would show precise fit that the protoype builders are using as their 'model kit' building guide. Are they building the Elio on the fly? Odd, very odd.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What do you mean? The pictures he posted are of the P5, and clearly show a right-side exhaust setup. The pictures are mostly looking back, towards the rear tire, so what seems to be on the left is actually the starboard side of the Elio.
Here's my understanding. The current prototype was built like this:
image.jpeg

You can see that the exhaust starts going to the right side but then clearly ends up routed to the left side. You can also see it here on the actual prototype.
image.jpeg

Again, clearly on the left side. As I understand it, this needed to change because of the drop in the passenger seat height resulting in a change to the tank, which...made a relocation of the final portion of the exhaust to the right side in the "hump" a necessity. To my knowledge, this has not been done to the P5, but is indicated as the "final" location in the "hump" on the right side of the vehicle:
image.jpeg

You can see from the picture above that this is clearly a placeholder for the final iteration (to my knowledge, there is no pipe in there yet). The "final" CAD drawing confirms this:
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least the front part of the exhaust is routed to the right.
EM stated that major components of BOTH exhaust systems were present when the P5 was unveiled.
That's how Jeff was able to have pictures of the exhaust routed to the right side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom