• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio. Car With A Hernia.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone who knows positively please clarify what will be the final exhaust routing set-up. Is there a final design? The bulge clearly has a tailpipe currently visible through the hole.

I saw that other tailpipe photo to the left of the rear wheel, but what is that? Is it functional...just a design study...or will that be the final location?

No question in my mind that the P5 currently has design issues with the exhaust routing it through the engine bay. I ass.u.me they are working on it.

I was hoping to get the pipes to route laterally out the side panel of the engine bay down the side of the Elio, either down low or just above the top of the wheel opening, like the classic old Buicks. Even cooler if it was fabricated from stainless steel.

Tailpipe.jpg

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And have to step over it every time I get in? You can keep your left side bulge to yourself.:p
Her Ladyship.
One chrome bulge is the air cleaner.
The other on the opposite side does nothing.
it's just there so that she has a balanced pair.
This one does get 84mpg and she's all mine.
she'll do 90mph and has a 160+ mile range.

herladyship.jpg

Jeff: "EM stated that major components of BOTH exhaust systems were present when the P5 was unveiled."

I certainly hope the exhaust system is stainless. I absolutely hate paying for a system every 7 years or so.
20 years ago locals would fabricate and install a stainless system for less than the price of steel parts.
I was thinking more of the Duesenbergs than the Buicks. That was a ultra-cool look.

Last edited:

J. Dub

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I hate that the car is not going to be symmetrical but rather have a bulge on the passenger side. Pity

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate that the car is not going to be asymmetrical but rather have a bulge on the passenger side. Pity
Going back through all of your past posts; it's sounding more and more that the Elio is not the car for you, or what you wished it was.
The Elio design is that way for a reason; not just a designers slip of the pencil.
So it is what it is, and that is how it will be rolled out.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No question in my mind that the P5 currently has design issues with the exhaust routing it through the engine bay. I ass.u.me they are working on it.
Since the "engine" is not mounted outside of the vehicle, there is no physical way to do what your "mind" sees as a "design issue". The Engine is "in" the engine bay, The exhaust is "attached" to the engine, therefore, it too must be there.

I was hoping to get the pipes to route laterally out the side panel of the engine bay down the side of the Elio, either down low or just above the top of the wheel opening, like the classic old Buicks. Even cooler if it was fabricated from stainless steel.
If, by "old Buicks" you are reffering to the '50's models, the "Portholes" were not for the exhaust, they were vents. It was however, (according to urban legend) quite a bit of fun, for a young man, to urinate thru those portholes, onto the exhaust.
So, as the engine is mounted "sideways" compared to the old Buicks, not physically possible, because the exhaust ports are in the front of the engine. To change their routing would actually increase the amount of the exhaust system that is in the engine bay. And It would also become unsafe to drive with the right side window down.
EM has actually done a fine job with design. The "bulge" is pretty unobtrusive. If your goal is to "draw the eye" to the exhaust, by all means, take off the cover and put a shiny chrome pipe in its place.
As a famous painter, (Bob Ross) used to say, "this is your world, paint it the way you want to." :)

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of "asymmetrical"....:spy: has anybody (but me) noticed, the Elio only has ONE WHEEL in the back? :gossip:

Yes, but that wheel is centrally located so half is on each side of the vehicle, so still symmetrical. If the rear wheel were located in the same track as either front wheel then that would be asymmetrically goofy.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but that wheel is centrally located so half is on each side of the vehicle, so still symmetrical. If the rear wheel were located in the same track as either front wheel then that would be asymmetrically goofy.

I hadn't thought about it that way...You are right :)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hernia/bulge still makes it assymetrical even from that perspective. And the interior is assymetrical as well.

Top Bottom