• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I cannot read the screen shot readily but here is the info in bigger text. Question in GREEN and Paul's answer in BLUE. Thanks!!

How complete is the P5 going to be, in other words what production features will NOT be on the P5?

The P5 will have the right drivetrain, current aerodynamics for the body, updated interior, IAV Elio engine and correct transmission. The main reason for P5 is that anytime you kick off a prototype you find errors in the CAD model. If we kicked off 25 prototypes all at once, everytime we found an error we would have to redo all 25. So, we are kicking off P5 to validate the solid model and we will be kicking off P6-30 late July.

So P5 will be done before late July? Will you be showing that one around the country like you are the P4?

20 weeks is 5 months. Late July is 3 weeks away. But we are going to kick off P6-30 before P5 is done because there is a lot that has to happen before the parts come in and so we want to shortcut the timeline.
One more thing, the P5 will tour once complete.

Thanks Paul! I am willing to be patient (I mean, at the moment I don't even need a car). But thanks for doing this AMA. Educating your audience on what it takes to build a company and a vehicle and all the hills and valleys along the way is almost as important as building the car. There are so many questions and it really helps that you are willing to come and answer them!

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According to a statement by PE the P6 and up are being built right now--end of July.

No. [?] P5 is right now, once P5 is verified as everything fits right, then on to the remaining builds, evidently as we have just foud out, to be called E1 - 25 or so.

Well, I only know what I read...

Deborah McAteer: Gary Dunn, I have been afraid that someone would interpret Paul's statements to mean the end of the month and commented on it right after the Reddit AMA. That is NOT what I understood. The P4 had a 20-week build time; the P-5 WAS STARTED before the AMA, and they wanted to get past a certain point in the build process before beginning build of the P6 - P30 to avoid having to correct any potential errors on ALL of them—BUT, they felt like they would be able TO BEGIN build on the P6 - P30 around the end of the month, meaning that the P5's build should be past the point of concern for major errors requiring rework.

John, I don't think you are correct in saying No to my post. Unless there is some slippage in the date (possible), what I said was what was reported.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How are they built at the same time? Is there more than one jig?
About jigs, these things are only used for a short time to align parts from a few minutes to a few hours for welding or machining. Allowing sharing to the next build fairly quickly. The whole point of course is to discover a final design that can be replicated. No magic in these things.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I only know what I read...

Deborah McAteer: Gary Dunn, I have been afraid that someone would interpret Paul's statements to mean the end of the month and commented on it right after the Reddit AMA. That is NOT what I understood. The P4 had a 20-week build time; the P-5 WAS STARTED before the AMA, and they wanted to get past a certain point in the build process before beginning build of the P6 - P30 to avoid having to correct any potential errors on ALL of them—BUT, they felt like they would be able TO BEGIN build on the P6 - P30 around the end of the month, meaning that the P5's build should be past the point of concern for major errors requiring rework.

John, I don't think you are correct in saying No to my post. Unless there is some slippage in the date (possible), what I said was what was reported.
Read the post above yours by Cache Man, I don't think Elio Motors could afford to build all 26 at once and risk something is wrong. They need to build P5 first to verify everything is in spec, then they can build out the rest which I would agree with you that would be built all at once as indicated in today's blog. What an interesting month July has been, can't wait for August!

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read the post above yours by Cache Man, I don't think Elio Motors could afford to build all 26 at once and risk something is wrong. They need to build P5 first to verify everything is in spec, then they can build out the rest which I would agree with you that would be built all at once as indicated in today's blog. What an interesting month July has been, can't wait for August!
There are a few things that can be done as the P5 is being assembled. Per PE they want to build the P5 because there are always errors in the CAD models. Rather than having to change all 25 they can change one and the model/CAD and then the next ones will be correct. So as John Painter said, they will not build all at once but it will be pretty close to all at once.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel that at the next meeting in mid August is when PE will unveil the P5, from the way it sounds.

Wahoo!!:triumphant:

Yes, I agree. That is, I FEEL the P5 will be unveiled at the woodward dream cruise August 15th and I'm going to be there in my brand new illegal shirt I had made up at the township street fair. Wahoo !!

Top Bottom