• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Engine Valvetrain

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk V24 - The Elio Engine - Your Questions Answered
Discussion in 'In The News' started by protias, Jul 9, 2014.
View attachment 2034
A self-adjusting hydraulic valve lifter for an overhead cam engine wherein this pressure fed hydraulic valve lifter is interposed directly between a valve and cam, the lifter including an upright, cup-shaped plunger engaging on the valve stem and being reciprocally received in a larger, inverted, cup-shaped follower which engages the cam and which is slidably guided in a fixed bore surrounding the valve stem, a pressure chamber being formed between an end of the plunger and the follower, with a helical compression spring positioned therein to normally bias the plunger and follower against the valve stem and the cam, respectively, and a fluid supply passage is provided to supply fluid under pressure to the pressure chamber, the fluid supply passage including a V-shaped groove with an O-ring seated therein to serve as a one-way check valve controlling the flow of fluid to the pressure chamber.
Looking at the cutaway of the valve train you can clearly see the oil groove in the hydraulic lifters.

Thank you for the hydraulic lifters! Hoorah ! I am proud of the though and the conclusion to use hydraulic lifters!! Maxium and consistent efficenty at all times!
thank you, thank you,
Terrence Benrard :-)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never trust the engineers. Sometimes they will overlook the most obvious things. Years ago I had a Pontiac TransAm. On a hot Atlanta Georgia evening on the way to a cocktail party I discovered the air conditioning and the power windows were powered by the same fuse[...]
Ahem. It wasn't the engineers that made that decision. It was the bean counters who are to blame. Engineers know separate functions should be on separate fuses. Bean counters only care that the extra fuse costs $0.10 more.

If you were driving any Malaise Era GM vehicle (1970-2000, roughly), it was designed almost entirely by the bean counters who utterly destroyed GM.

There is some irony that I've committed to buying a vehicle that it focusing heavily on reducing cost, with the head of sales even relating a story of how Mr. E. was walking around the P4 and pointing to places where they could save another dollar or two.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hydraulic valve lifters are no surprise. The engine seems to be an upgraded version of the Suzuki G10 993cc engine, as fitted to the prototypes and that already has them. Using any other method would certainly be a retrograde move and would also increase servicing costs. The last car I drove with bucket and shim valve lifters was in 1973, a 1967 Singer Chamois,with a Coventry Climax derived engine.

As an aside, the new IEV engine seems to retain the Suzuki gearbox bolt fitting pattern....I can only speculate on what transmission they will use on the production models.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ahem. It wasn't the engineers that made that decision. It was the bean counters who are to blame. Engineers know separate functions should be on separate fuses. Bean counters only care that the extra fuse costs $0.10 more.

If you were driving any Malaise Era GM vehicle (1970-2000, roughly), it was designed almost entirely by the bean counters who utterly destroyed GM.

There is some irony that I've committed to buying a vehicle that it focusing heavily on reducing cost, with the head of sales even relating a story of how Mr. E. was walking around the P4 and pointing to places where they could save another dollar or two.

Remember that era well. Some really bad quality control back then especially the late 70's and early 80's. Here is an example of some of General Motors work back then.:)

cid_241DD44109B445A4A95E51F2989C66DCdad100.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You're probably right. It was a 78 Trans Am.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering that very thing. Is it possible they'll use some kind of hydraulic lifter which effectively makes the valves self-adjusting? I haven't had a vehicle that required valve adjustment since my 1980 Mazda and I didn't think anyone still did that. (I know they do on motorcycles but am not sure why)
Actually it is still fairly common. I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey and a 2006 Accord and both requier the valve clearances to be adjusted. At least they do have set screws in the rockers.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 2034
A self-adjusting hydraulic valve lifter for an overhead cam engine wherein this pressure fed hydraulic valve lifter is interposed directly between a valve and cam, the lifter including an upright, cup-shaped plunger engaging on the valve stem and being reciprocally received in a larger, inverted, cup-shaped follower which engages the cam and which is slidably guided in a fixed bore surrounding the valve stem, a pressure chamber being formed between an end of the plunger and the follower, with a helical compression spring positioned therein to normally bias the plunger and follower against the valve stem and the cam, respectively, and a fluid supply passage is provided to supply fluid under pressure to the pressure chamber, the fluid supply passage including a V-shaped groove with an O-ring seated therein to serve as a one-way check valve controlling the flow of fluid to the pressure chamber.
Looking at the cutaway of the valve train you can clearly see the oil groove in the hydraulic lifters.
I have read tech talk v24 and nowhere is there any mention of the valve train at all
View attachment 2034

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The point is very simple. Having someone cobble a description of the operation of hydraulic cam followers and present it under the letterhead of an Elio tech talk is confusing to say the least. Like everyone else here I am trying to gather information from this and other forums.I have read in several different places that classed shims are used. I've also read that hydraulic cam followers are used (which makes more sense even though more expensive). Just trying to get answers.

Top Bottom