• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Factory

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The article said a "Distrubition Center" and installing various exterior stuff, components, etc.
Can only be a PLUS for the elio.
Still checking the help wanted ads though.
Might be time to call a Head Hunter in the area (Hiring Agency) and see if they have any word on posted jobs for the plant. If you want 10,000 applicants post a job to the paper, it you want a specific skill set, use a hiring agency. That whole state is an unemployment poster child, in a different article someone posted, I saw on the side bar that a couple of big malls in the area are losing anchor stores, Sears, Kmart and Macey's; so here comes a glut of unskilled, unemployed workers.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might be time to call a Head Hunter in the area (Hiring Agency) and see if they have any word on posted jobs for the plant. If you want 10,000 applicants post a job to the paper, it you want a specific skill set, use a hiring agency. That whole state is an unemployment poster child, in a different article someone posted, I saw on the side bar that a couple of big malls in the area are losing anchor stores, Sears, Kmart and Macey's; so here comes a glut of unskilled, unemployed workers.
6.7% unemployment rate in Shreveport. I always wonder how many of those in the 6.7% unemployment group are actually looking for jobs.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's more like 10 or 11 percent if government is claiming 6.7 percent.
Having once had to draw unemployment (a long time ago and just for about a month), I can tell you that it seemed that MOST of the people there weren't really looking for jobs. They'd come in with obviously no appreciable skills and when it came time to show they were actually looking for work, they'd be like "I applied for Shift Manager at Ford, CEO of Sears, and COO of Delta." Yeah... you are just doing the minimum required to keep sucking off Uncle Sam's teat.

I think the "effective zero" for unemployment is around 5% unemployment. That is, there will ALWAYS be 5% of the people who don't actually want to work.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how big the plant is, if there was anything going on in the way of setting it up for Elio, there would be cars in the parking areas, deliveries coming and going. In other words "activity". So, no activity; no Elio. :nono:

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They can always become parters with Elio and work on China to purchase their vehicles.
This is the Hyundai/Glovis plan at the plant. Apparently already running:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/2017/01/04/hyundai-create-400-jobs-shreveport-plant/96147976/

Hyundai subsidiary opens in former GM plant
Greg Hilburn and Seth Dickerson , The News StarPublished 8:41 a.m. CT Jan. 4, 2017 | Updated 9:20 p.m. CT Jan. 4, 2017

awww.gannett_cdn.com__mm__56d197262a5fb8c01f257607f54c5c9b6b773da1894fefaa54d957de44fda11be83c.jpg

A subsidiary company of Hyundai will eventually create 400 jobs at the former General Motors plant in Shreveport, officials with the North Louisiana economic partnership announced Wednesday morning.Seth Dickerson/The Shreveport Times

The former GM plant in Shreveport has a new occupant.

The facility received its first shipment of cars Tuesday, marking the start of business with a subsidiary company of Hyundai that could create as many as 400 jobs, according to Scott Martinez of the North Louisiana Economic Partnership.

Glovis America, a logistics company owned by the vehicle manufacturing company, will operate in the 125,000 square-foot facility.

NLEP president Scott Martinez said during the press conference that courting the company to open up a facility in Shreveport wouldn't have been possible without help from The Shreveport City Council and the Caddo Parish Commission.

"It took strong partnerships to make this happen," Martinez said.

MORE: CSRA looking to hire 200 employees in Bossier City

Martinez said the Shreveport facility should see about 75,000 vehicles annually.

Shreveport Mayor Ollie Tyler said the move was an excellent way to start off the new year.

"It's so good to see activity in this plant again," she said.

Glovis will make a $1 million capital investment and create 150 direct jobs during the first phase of the project, with an average salary of $31,760, plus benefits. Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project will result in 246 indirect jobs, for a total of 396 new jobs.

“Glovis America’s announcement today signifies a new chapter in revitalizing the former GM plant and returning great jobs to Shreveport and the surrounding region,” Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said. “We congratulate Glovis on this exciting announcement.

"Upon the launch of operations, I know Glovis will find an abundance of highly skilled talent and an unrivaled infrastructure to receive and ship vehicles. We also want to thank our partners at the North Louisiana Economic Partnership for their role in attracting this project win to our state.”

In Shreveport, Glovis will provide added options and packages to the vehicles prior to delivery to dealerships. Options and packages include security systems, Bluetooth connectivity, mud guards, electronics, sunroof accessories, decal kits, and other specifications as requested by the dealerships, according to a news release.

Caddo Parish Commission President Matthew Linn said the facility moving here could be only the beginning. Likening the Glovis plant to dominoes, Linn said this could be a signal to other manufacturers to take a look at Shreveport and the General Motors plant.

"I'm looking forward to many more dominoes," he said.

General Motors closed its plant in 2012.

"You're dealing with an international company coming into a facility that has seen a lot of challenges," Martinez said.

Martinez said North Louisiana Economic Partnership has been working with Glovis for about a year.

"It's a great opportunity for Shreveport and our entire region," Martinez said.

Eliosio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was EM's scheduled list of milestones:
View attachment 12121
Cross out the Milestones that were actually met and it gives us a true picture of progress made since the Reg A Funding and what still needs to be done.
Why haven't we seen Elio meeting with Trump? What a boost for both of them to announce 1,500 new American jobs.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they have.....Only ELIO knows.
That takes you back to my prior statement
"Why wasn't there any "BLUE COLLAR" reps. at the "Labor Summit"?

Top Bottom