• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Finance

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might I suggest Cents. Pennys are an English currency. You might note my avatar is an early Cent. That's the style I collect.

You are correct of course. Unbeknownst to you though I grew up in a Commonwealth Nation and I could pull off the "penny". Threepence was also suggested. Pays homage to the triple wheels. Penny still kinda rolls off the tongue. Thanks for the comment though, it makes a lot of (sense) (cents).

Franklin3

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Take it to CoinStar, it may cost a percentage of it, but sure beats counting and rolling all that change.

No offense to you or CoinStar, but I never got why anyone would use it. The one in the grocery store near me takes 7% (that is a huge give up to me). Why not just haul the change a for a few extra minutes, get some groceries then let the cashier count the change for 0% then keep the paper money you would have used to buy grocery? Alternatively open a checking or savings account at a bank, I am sure they would be happy to count your deposit for free also. Maybe I am missing something. Please let me know if I am.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are certainly found outside of circulation. But I am old enough to have found a few Indian cents in circulation in my youth.
I'm looking at a 1906 Indian head that one of the Wal-mart self checkouts spit out at me a couple of months ago.
It's in pristine condition with a beautiful deep color.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense to you or CoinStar, but I never got why anyone would use it. The one in the grocery store near me takes 7% (that is a huge give up to me). Why not just haul the change a for a few extra minutes, get some groceries then let the cashier count the change for 0% then keep the paper money you would have used to buy grocery? Alternatively open a checking or savings account at a bank, I am sure they would be happy to count your deposit for free also. Maybe I am missing something. Please let me know if I am.

Some banks will not take large amounts of unrolled change.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What Chaz brought up is true in my area; and we found that in this tread; different areas have different rules when it comes to change; some banks will, other banks won't; as for paying a cashier with unrolled change, the store doesn't have to accept that as payment; depends on the amount of the purchase, or the amount of change you gave.
If you read the small print in the rules about payment; pennies are not legal tender for any item over 25 cents; it's up to the store about accepting it or not.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What Chaz brought up is true in my area; and we found that in this tread; different areas have different rules when it comes to change; some banks will, other banks won't; as for paying a cashier with unrolled change, the store doesn't have to accept that as payment; depends on the amount of the purchase, or the amount of change you gave.
If you read the small print in the rules about payment; pennies are not legal tender for any item over 25 cents; it's up to the store about accepting it or not.

My bank will not even take rolled coins unless you write your name on each roll. I guess they dont trust anyone anymore.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1906 Indian head that one of the Wal-mart self checkouts spit out at me a couple of months ago.
It's in pristine condition with a beautiful deep color.
Great find. This usually happens when either a collector is robbed by either a break-in or by a relative, neither have any concept of their value. Occasionally, it's just inherited property by people who have no idea of it's value. They spend them like regular fiat currency and coins.

bighammer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been doing it for a about 10 or 12 years, with a small jar in the kitchen. When it gets full, it gets dumped into a 5 gal bucket in the basement. I had 2 buckets about 2/3 to 3/4 full, so I pulled them out. (could barely move them anymore)

The Dollar Store had bags with assorted coin rolls; pre-crimped on one end, just count, fill & fold. Using my lathe and some scrap aluminum tube, I cut pieces to length to eliminate the counting part. I don't watch TV much, but sitting thru 3 or 4 bowl games, I was able to roll a little over $4000 worth. (yes, there are quite a few pennies)

Top Bottom