• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although there is obvious concern over the design/appearance of the Elgin Dash........Paul Elio may not be a designer but he is an auto engineer. My guess is that all the neccessary information we need as drivers to maintain the Elio in peak running condition will be included in the Elgin gauge cluster and readable. I trust an engineer to engineer, but they are obviously not designers.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least the vintage watch had adequate markings -- not like 20 minutes apart. Unlike the Elgin Dash. and it's still kitsch.
Kitsch yes, but we may ironically appreciate it someday too.

It will be interesting to see it in the P5's at the Drive and Ride Events and hear the reactions of some 36,000 + pre-order customers when they see it for the first time.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vintage Lord Elgin
View attachment 3858
Present day Elgin kicked up a notch
View attachment 3859
As a very young newspaper delivery boy I won an Elgin watch with the traditional dial and it was a great watch. It did not look like the vintage one. I don't like that watch and dislike the dash equally as well. Wouldn't buy either the watch or the dash if I had a choice.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a very young newspaper delivery boy I won an Elgin watch with the traditional dial and it was a great watch. It did not look like the vintage one. I don't like that watch and dislike the dash equally as well. Wouldn't buy either the watch or the dash if I had a choice.
I wouldn't buy the watch either.........although very unusual for the year.......I wish I owned one today......I would sell it to a collector and buy an Elio......or use the cash for the Skyz upgrade and a road trip.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of controversy over something that we have not even seen the finished product......
This is just the way it goes with not a lot of other new things happening to discuss

The discussion has actually been quite civil on this forum as compared to several Elio groups I follow on Facebook including EMOA which is only open to reservation holders yet is pretty much a disaster area right now.

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be pretty smart on EM's part to offer a labor cost only replacement ($50-$70?) option for the instrument cluster. I am confident that seeing the Elgin dash in person will not change my opinion that it is quite a horrible design for the purpose of an instrument cluster.

The Lord Elgin as a watch MIGHT work because the numbers are effectively stationary AND there won't possibly be an unexpected 40-ton semi merging into you as you take the time to comprehend the information from the display. This is not the case with tach and mpg readings where speed and accuracy of data comprehension is essential to avoid risks to a ticket, engine, or life. With the vast majority of existing instrument clusters, a relative needle position glance is often enough to make any driving adjustments. Because there is no such needle, the Elgin dash WILL require more attention away from the road.

That all being said, there are improvements EM could make that might make the Elgin bearable, and speed up the relay of more detailed information:
  • Thinner and taller mph marks in a different color than the numbers (The mph marks should span the whole height of the "window" for every 10 mph)
  • A much wider "window" (2x wider) to view more numbers at a time.
  • Have the digital readout include a view of the trip/tank mpg (with option to reset)
  • Include a temp gauge in the huge amount of wasted empty gray space (part of the most valuable utility space for a vehicle, most manufacturers respect this)
  • Replace the 8-stage digital fuel indicator with a needle (or replace with at least 16 stages)

Top Bottom