• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with EM regarding this instrument clusterf, is their apparent complete commitment against the preferences of many of their reservation holders. At any step they could have made a decision that would provide relief and satisfaction, but their apparent choice at each step seems to have made it more difficult.

I'll walk you through my thought process as I digested the information about the dash in question (subject to inaccuracies, and obviously not actual quotes):

Me: Oh, interesting new gauge concept, maybe someone will like it; but I certainly won't add that option in my vehicle.
EM: HAHA! It'll be on the base model.
Me: Fine, I'll get the option to go with the dash the P4 uses.
EM: HAHA! No such alternative option in place.
Me: Oh look, you'll now have a neato SkyzMatic dash I could replace it with!
EM: HAHA! Not a dash replacement, and possibly 30% of the base cost.
Me: Geez, then I'll just use Torque and an OBDII dongle to get all my readings.
EM: HAHA! That functionality won't exist on the Base model.
Me: Oh, so I can get that functionality as an option?
EM: HAHA! Of course not.
Me: OMG! Then I suppose I'm forced to get a quick and easy dash replacement with temp/voltage/etc from a Pick 'N Pull or online.
EM: GOOD LUCK! Our decision to go with idiot lights might may mean a long electrical headache or big expense is in your future. We've made sure you'll suffer the maximum for not liking our sacred design and appreciating the $10 we saved you.
Me: WTF!?

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'd like to hear it, because it would give me a bit more hope. Like most of you, not 100% of my information was directly from EM.

upload_2014-12-16_15-27-10.jpeg

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On this subject, we are now at 106 pages and counting. I hope EM is noticing how volatile this one subject is.

I found many pictures of this watch on google when I did a search of “lord elgin” instead of “elgin”, and clicked at the top of the page on “images“. I noticed the time displayed on the watches were not easy to read. That is probably why the watches sold today do not use this configuration.

Did Paul Elio want this because he felt it was the better and more artistic gauge concept and he simply got the idea from seeing the watch of a relative, or did he want this because of personal sentimental reasons? He once said he was not a fan of government programs like the ATVM program but as CEO he had a responsibility to the company and investors to apply. If he is favoring the elgin cluster because of personal sentimental reasons, he is going against that responsibility he stated.

After the stores are open and the vehicle is available to the general public, it will be the subject of much of the media. Major vehicle publications such as “Road and Track” and “Car and Driver”, which are very functionally oriented, will criticize the elgin cluster. The general media, after learning it was disliked by so many reservationist (this forum is public) and was used anyway, will claim corporate decisions were based on personal sentimental reasons, whether true or not, and will proceed to vilify Paul Elio. This is what the media likes to do, and Paul Elio deserves better than this. The media is not the big supporter like the reservationist and will not be as kind.

There may be a chance this instrument cluster will still change. Decisions are always reversible. It actually is a very good artistic design and I do like it as an artistic design. It simply does not lend itself to quick reading of numbers as is needed in heavy traffic or high speed when the eyes need to be on the road.

What I am about to say is meant in sincerity and not meant in any negative way. I would like to see traditional gauges used in the instrument cluster but use the elgin artistic design elsewhere. I would like to see the elgin artistic design used on top of the otherwise bland valve cover. I would like to see a large circle filled with an oversize window of the same shape as the lord elgin watch. Inside the window I would like to see two words: “IAV” and “ELIO”. This is actually a prominent place on the vehicle because the engine is its heart, not the gauges.

The Elio is a truly amazing vehicle and Paul Elio is a truly amazing person.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with EM regarding this instrument clusterf, is their apparent complete commitment against the preferences of many of their reservation holders. At any step they could have made a decision that would provide relief and satisfaction, but their apparent choice at each step seems to have made it more difficult.

I'll walk you through my thought process as I digested the information about the dash in question (subject to inaccuracies, and obviously not actual quotes):

Me: Oh, interesting new gauge concept, maybe someone will like it; but I certainly won't add that option in my vehicle.
EM: HAHA! It'll be on the base model.
Me: Fine, I'll get the option to go with the dash the P4 uses.
EM: HAHA! No such alternative option in place.
Me: Oh look, you'll now have a neato SkyzMatic dash I could replace it with!
EM: HAHA! Not a dash replacement, and possibly 30% of the base cost.
Me: Geez, then I'll just use Torque and an OBDII dongle to get all my readings.
EM: HAHA! That functionality won't exist on the Base model.
Me: Oh, so I can get that functionality as an option?
EM: HAHA! Of course not.
Me: OMG! Then I suppose I'm forced to get a quick and easy dash replacement with temp/voltage/etc from a Pick 'N Pull or online.
EM: GOOD LUCK! Our decision to go with idiot lights might may mean a long electrical headache or big expense is in your future. We've made sure you'll suffer the maximum for not liking our sacred design and appreciating the $10 we saved you.
Me: WTF!?

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'd like to hear it, because it would give me a bit more hope. Like most of you, not 100% of my information was directly from EM.
Just one thing... the Elgin dash is probably the single best instrument panel on the market and is probably the single item that is the least controversial of any other aspect of the Elio. :rolleyes:

Well, initially very against the Elgin dash, I'm now taking a position where Ill wait to see it in person before hating it. Apparently, it is nicer in person and when the final version is finally revealed, it could actually complement the quirky Elio interior and could be very well liked... time will tell.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just one thing... the Elgin dash is probably the single best instrument panel on the market and is probably the single item that is the least controversial of any other aspect of the Elio. :rolleyes:

Well, initially very against the Elgin dash, I'm now taking a position where Ill wait to see it in person before hating it. Apparently, it is nicer in person and when the final version is finally revealed, it could actually complement the quirky Elio interior and could be very well liked... time will tell.
I'm counting on it and can't wait to see it. But then I have liked it or at least been willing to "wait and see" from the beginning. It was after I saw it "installed" in a rendering that I actually liked it a lot. My Elio will proudly be driven with the Elgin dash. :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm counting on it and can't wait to see it. But then I have liked it or at least been willing to "wait and see" from the beginning. It was after I saw it "installed" in a rendering that I actually liked it a lot. My Elio will proudly be driven with the Elgin dash. :) Z
That's also what made me decide to wait and see. It looks "in place" in the renderings.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember those ugly 3-dial clusters that all the hot-rodders installed under the dash on their cars? I shudder to think we will have to resort to something like that to monitor the temps!

Hey now! :eek: I resemble that remark!! :confused:
If you didn't like them under the dash, you would've hated them peeking out of the back of the reverse hood cowling!! :rolleyes:
The secret is, hide the wiring.. :p :D

Top Bottom