• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The dash is the only thing I really don't like so far about the base Elio. On a normal needle dash readout my peripheral vision catches the MPH and RPM needles proximity enough to know where I am at on those things. This dash requires more of a momentary dedicated "read" for MPH and RPM.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Three words (okay...and one letter;)) "A-pillar gauge pods". My Elio will have all the important engine info shown, regardless of which dash Paul uses, one way or another. HATE idiot lights!

_a_pillar_gauge_package+completed_a_pillar_gauges.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Three words (okay...and one letter;)) "A-pillar gauge pods". My Elio will have all the important engine info shown, regardless of which dash Paul uses, one way or another. HATE idiot lights!

View attachment 3876

My plan is to enable OBD-II data streaming and then use a configurable HUD to display pertinent information. :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The dash is the only thing I really don't like so far about the base Elio. On a normal needle dash readout my peripheral vision catches the MPH and RPM needles proximity enough to know where I am at on those things. This dash requires more of a momentary dedicated "read" for MPH and RPM.
I agree with you there. But, the more I think about it, the less it concerns me. The Elio won't be really fast and there won't be a lot of swing to the needles. It probably won't take long for your peripheral vision to get used to seeing the numbers sweep by. Maybe 55 or 65 will be different colored to aid in instant recognition. I really don't think speeding will be much of an issue in the Elio. While it CAN go fast, speed will probably be pretty obvious to the driver because you are so close to the ground. like I've said. I've changed my "I hate it" to "I'll see it in person first".

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes right down to it, modern vehicles do a great job staying within parameters. It's not like my old '65 Mustang that overheated all the time (351 Windsor stuffed in the engine bay didn't help) (That's a much bigger, more powerful motor than the Mustangs came with and generated more heat than the cooling system could handle, Z). The Elio will probably be fine without any advanced monitoring. I can't see it worth installing gauges to monitor things that just won't change much. But, that's just me.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you there. But, the more I think about it, the less it concerns me. The Elio won't be really fast and there won't be a lot of swing to the needles. It probably won't take long for your peripheral vision to get used to seeing the numbers sweep by. Maybe 55 or 65 will be different colored to aid in instant recognition. I really don't think speeding will be much of an issue in the Elio. While it CAN go fast, speed will probably be pretty obvious to the driver because you are so close to the ground. like I've said. I've changed my "I hate it" to "I'll see it in person first".
I'm hoping that they gear the Elio for best economy at 70mph. I live in Oklahoma and most State highways are 65mph but the Interstate and Toll roads are 75mph.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping that they gear the Elio for best economy at 70mph. I live in Oklahoma and most State highways are 65mph but the Interstate and Toll roads are 75mph.
That makes sense, too. Unfortunately, speed has a mileage penalty. They'll probably gear it to be most efficient at 55 or whatever measure it will be tested at publicly.

Top Bottom