• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jim H, I totally agree....... and 'hope' it comes that way. But if they use the "SB Display" as standard, and don't offer a reasonable 'Optional' display, I will have to come up with something that is Functional, economical, and easy to install.
That would be a fine instrument display, but I balk at spending an additional $500+....
If you check around, you can get an Android Tablet, with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi....... for less than $100 (-- http://www.lightinthebox.com/m791d1...fi-bluetooth-g-sensor-512mb-4gb_p1274866.html --). If you are worried about 'prying eyes'.... just throw a small towel over your dash/steering wheel, when you leave (will also keep your steering wheel 'cooler' for when you return).

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Way too much 'Wasted Space' on the Elgin/'SB' Display; with the blank 'outer circles' and the small 'idiot lights'. Just not good use of the Dash Space, not good for 'information at-a-glance, and requires extra TIME and MONEY to design and manufacture a non-off-the-shelf component! Only area in 'green' conveys important information...... area in 'yellow' is WASTED.
0-WastedElginDash.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Way too much 'Wasted Space' on the Elgin/'SB' Display; with the blank 'outer circles' and the small 'idiot lights'. Just not good use of the Dash Space, not good for 'information at-a-glance, and requires extra TIME and MONEY to design and manufacture a non-off-the-shelf component! Only area in 'green' conveys important information...... area in 'yellow' is WASTED.View attachment 1066

What I have read is that the Elgin gauge cluster likely will not cost any more than most other gauge clusters because there are no off the shelf OEM gauge clusters but instead there are off the shelf gauge cluster components. Each vehicle manufacturer designs their own gauge cluster layouts and has their suppliers manufacturer them to spec meaning that the gauge cluster designs are specific to each manufacturer. This also means that no matter what the gauge cluster ultimately looks like Elio Motors will have to design their own cluster using parts from their supplier's catalog.

This actually makes sense when you think about it as the size and shape of the gauge cluster varies widely from vehicle to vehicle, not to mention matching the vehicles entire design theme, making it virtually impossible for there to be off the shelf gauge clusters designs for OEM vehicles.

Last edited:

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You 'GOT IT'..... there are NO 'ELGIN design' components available "off-the-shelf"..... and will have to be DESIGNED and newly manufactured by 'someone' (in relatively small quantities = higher price). Instead they could use 'existing' components in their design gauge cluster..... to keep cost down,..... or use a digital/ tablet style display that would only require "Software Design". Whoever said; " the Elgin gauge cluster likely will not cost any more than most other gauge clusters", does not understand manufacturing and economics..... especially if it is to be made in the USA.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
You 'GOT IT'..... there are NO 'ELGIN design' components available "off-the-shelf"..... and will have to be DESIGNED and newly manufactured by 'someone' (in relatively small quantities = higher price). Instead they could use 'existing' components in their design gauge cluster..... to keep cost down,..... or use a digital/ tablet style display that would only require "Software Design". Whoever said; " the Elgin gauge cluster likely will not cost any more than most other gauge clusters", does not understand manufacturing and economics..... especially if it is to be made in the USA.

Actually from what I see everything you have highlighted in green is very likely 'off the shelf'. The idiot lights, the turn signals, and the center odometer/tripmeter display are obviously completely off the shelf and just arranged in a custom fashion. From what I have read the speedo and tach displays are little LCD displays so they are also off the shelf and programmable. The gas gauge is a simple segmented LCD which are used in a lot of components including a very similar display on motorcycle.

As I said before this is just a gauge cluster designed using existing components so whether we like it or not the cost is likely comparable to other designs using existing components. I am actually not a fan of the design however it would not stop me from buying an Elio.

Last edited:

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I said before this is just a gauge cluster designed using existing components so whether we like it or not the cost is likely comparable to other designs using existing components. I am actually not a fan of the design however it would not stop me from buying an Elio.

I will get one no matter what they install. :)

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Very True; that is my main SAFETY concern. The 'Wasted Space' is just another example of this being a BAD DESIGN idea!
Actually, when I was a web designer, over the years we came to understand that blank space was critical and jamming the most info possible into a space was actually bad design despite what the power users wanted.

Top Bottom