• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the dash in the original Honda Ridgeline was pretty unsightly, but they fixed in the next model, which is what I bought. So I don't "want" it, but I'll take it if it gets them out the door.
KenK, welcome and I agree with you. It is a terrible dash and I hate it but I do not want to delay the production. This forum will provide all the latest information, rumors, and opinions and let us know when production is scheduled to begin. Welcome and we look forward to your comments.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My vote on the Dash was a NO, I do like a nice digital dash. I had a Dakota Digital Dash in my 64 Chevelle and liked it a bunch. Many of the new cars come with some absolutely beautiful designs which are easy to read. My son in law's Mazda Speed 3 comes to mind. However, having said that, I'll take whatever they put in it.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind the Geo's dash at all, it's handsome, simple, and direct. Now if they want to option a really zoomy dash, something that utilizes a single screen the user can choose from a set of downloadable styles or even configure as he pleases, I think EM would sell a bunch of 'em. Let's go with that basic set of steam gauges and get the product out the door. Maybe provide the option for the '16 MY.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That SB panel reminds me of all the experimentation we went through in the late '50's and early '60's as automakers tried to out-style one another. Various colors on the dials, lighting effects (UV on the '57 Imperial), even the configuration of the speedometer, a color changing moving band below fixed numbers (59 Oldsmobile) being anong the stranger examples. My old roommate's '58 Edsel was a fine car, if largely assembled from Ford's parts bin. Of course we all remember what happened to the Edsel when Ford's styling department took over.
smh.gif

Their most egregious styling error, IMHO, was staring at you right out of the instrument panel. The speedometer was designed to look like a compass binnacle, with rotating numbers passing behind a fixed mark on its face. Combined with an ocean of chrome, this 4" diameter horizontal "dog dish" had numbers on it about an inch high - making them rather crowded to squeeze 120 mph around the dial . . . so your actual speed was largely a guess, despite the rather creative display.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... From what I have read the speedo and tach displays are little LCD displays so they are also off the shelf and programmable. ...
The 'idea' of the ELGIN display is NOT a little LCD display, but large rotating dials (covered by those 'silver rings') for the Speedometer and Tach.... with only the small top section readable. All of the rest of the dial is 'hidden', and only 'spins into view' at the top window. NO such "Off-the-Shelf" instruments exist today...... therefore they have to be Designed and Manufactured.

Last edited:
Top Bottom