• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want: Speedo. Fuel. Idiot lights.

That's it. Not that I'd mind a tach or temp gauge, but I don't want to pay for it. Give me the cheapest, simplest, ANALOG gauge you can. If that comes prepackaged from the parts supplier with a tach or whatever? Fine. But those are not required in my book.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't think the poll was biased from the beginning. Do you like the Eglin dash? Yes. No. It's pretty simple. I didn't like the generic one they've had either. Sure, it's functional but I'm afraid I'd end up kind of embarrassed that I've been talking up this cool car with the crumy dash.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is biased because it targets the elgin dash. If it were to make one choose between either an elgin or the other dash then it would be fair. But it compresses all those that want another style into a group that appears to be behind the old dash. which is not a choice...I really would like a heads-up display, so in this "poll" i should have voted against the Elgin Dash.

From where I sit it boils down to two main groups...
Those that are buying the EE for its funky factor
And those that are buying it for economic considerations.

Someone earlier stated that people were attracted to the Autocycle because it was funky, but he felt it might be off putting if the dash were funk. To me if I liked the funky form i would want to extend it to a funky dash.

One other consideration...who on god's green Earth has a hard time figuring out how fast they are going no matter what the Dash looks like when they are driving on roads in America? When are you in traffic and you go, "Oh My God, How Much am I off the Speed Limit. I need to look for just the briefest of seconds, and I need to get it right to the exact frikkin mile or I am gonna drive into the Bridge Support and Burn to DEATH!!!!!!"
Or do you go down the road at 25 or 65mph and really have a problem staying with the flow of traffic.
Or do you think you will get on the Interstate and just start creeping over 100mph before you realize you haven't been able to read the Speedometer?
"Officer I have an excuse for passing you going 107mph, The car won't go any faster, and I couldn't read the speedometer because I could only take my eyes off the road for.7 seconds, and while I did pass you rather easily I passed many other cars even faster, i just could not for the life of me figure out why."

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is biased because it targets the elgin dash. If it were to make one choose between either an elgin or the other dash then it would be fair. But it compresses all those that want another style into a group that appears to be behind the old dash. which is not a choice...I really would like a heads-up display, so in this "poll" i should have voted against the Elgin Dash.

From where I sit it boils down to two main groups...
Those that are buying the EE for its funky factor
And those that are buying it for economic considerations.

Someone earlier stated that people were attracted to the Autocycle because it was funky, but he felt it might be off putting if the dash were funk. To me if I liked the funky form i would want to extend it to a funky dash.

One other consideration...who on god's green Earth has a hard time figuring out how fast they are going no matter what the Dash looks like when they are driving on roads in America? When are you in traffic and you go, "Oh My God, How Much am I off the Speed Limit. I need to look for just the briefest of seconds, and I need to get it right to the exact frikkin mile or I am gonna drive into the Bridge Support and Burn to DEATH!!!!!!"
Or do you go down the road at 25 or 65mph and really have a problem staying with the flow of traffic.
Or do you think you will get on the Interstate and just start creeping over 100mph before you realize you haven't been able to read the Speedometer?
"Officer I have an excuse for passing you going 107mph, The car won't go any faster, and I couldn't read the speedometer because I could only take my eyes off the road for.7 seconds, and while I did pass you rather easily I passed many other cars even faster, i just could not for the life of me figure out why."

"If it were to make one choose between either an elgin or the other dash then it would be fair."

There is one type of dashboard for every person on this forum. Which one would you suggest I put the Elgin up against? Keep in mind, which ever one you chose will be a bias decision. Everyone has a favorite.

I put the Elgin up against itself. Either you like it or you like something else.
No covers all other answers, including the other EM dash.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can "like" the Elgin dash and still "like" a HUD and still "like" the originally shown speedometer. How hard is it to say you like something? There's a reason that most speedometers are analog or at least appear analog (maybe a TFT screen with options for analog display or digital, or none). It's probably the same reason that for hundreds of years, the most popular time display is still analog. Perhaps the poll should have been "Do you prefer the Elgin to the originally shown dash?". It's been proven that people don't have to actually look at an analog speedometer to know how fast it is showing.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty "like" is too subjective. Like in relationship to what? If cars never had a speedometer in them till the Elgin dash was created who would not "like" it.

The poll is pointless in two regards, no dash will get a majority of likes if a person has formed an opinion based on what they have already seen or envisioned.
And secondly no one has seen, much less driven a vehicle with this dash.

I guess it is my nature to not hate something and declare it unsafe till I have actually seen it.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I take back the first half of my post above, as I am sure many people would object to having a gauge that would give them the information, and declare it interfered with their enjoyment of just driving.

Top Bottom