• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still think way too many people are judging the Elgin Dash without actually seeing and using it. Most of the "I hate Elgin" faction seems to be based on - I'm not even sure what it is based on but it certainly is NOT based on anything at all like personal experience with the dash in question. Are we all so old and set in our ways that we can't be open to change? It certainly looks that way. :) Z
It's not being open to change, as much as not liking what you are being sold.
Is there some issue with the instrument cluster? I must have missed something.
just friendly disagreements.

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Yes if I could simply swap the Elgin with these (maybe even with some wiring) I'd be pretty happy to do so. Though I do like the little LCD display the Elgin's planned to have.

Overall I think these great pictures that have been posted have lessened my personal dislike of the design, so thanks for that! I can see an appeal for the quirkiness of the design, but I'm still very skeptical of its practicality and elegance. I'd appreciate an Elgin-inspired clock inset into a more traditional dash, if that were possible. Ah well, I'll learn to live with it or change it out. No big deal.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes if I could simply swap the Elgin with these (maybe even with some wiring) I'd be pretty happy to do so. Though I do like the little LCD display the Elgin's planned to have.

Overall I think these great pictures that have been posted have lessened my personal dislike of the design, so thanks for that! I can see an appeal for the quirkiness of the design, but I'm still very skeptical of its practicality and elegance. I'd appreciate an Elgin-inspired clock inset into a more traditional dash, if that were possible. Ah well, I'll learn to live with it or change it out. No big deal.
Goofyone reported today that it's not an LCD display, but actual dials.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3771

Another view provided by Lloyd Hoadley who is a member on this forum however he did not remember his forum name so I encouraged him to visit with us more often. :D
Lloyd got lucky and happened to be chatting with us when Pam called us over and took the Elgin out of its hiding spot and around behind the Elio display to show it to us. :cool:

I sure wish the gas gauge was on the Left side....Being as I'm left eyed!!! Lol

interloper07

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I've read with quite a bit of amusement on this forum and on the EMOA Facebook page about the Lord Elgin dash. For a historical perspective, and for the sake of discussion, (and outing myself as having a soft spot for some obscure footnotes in automotive history), I'll post a few pictures of noteworthy gauge clusters known for their different point of view on displaying information to the driver.

upload_2014-12-8_20-48-48.png
Citroën SM

upload_2014-12-8_20-54-20.png
Citroën BX

upload_2014-12-8_20-57-42.png upload_2014-12-8_21-1-7.png
Olds Toronado

upload_2014-12-8_21-6-27.png
Volvo 122

The Citroens and the Olds had a rotating drum that displayed the speed or RPMs. The BX also had an LED ribbon tachometer. The Volvo had a red ribbon that stretched across the dash - the faster you went, the more red you'd see. Remember, Drive Safely. Note the VDO logo in the lower left of the Volvo's cluster - for those lamenting the lack of a classic German cluster in their Elio, this was anything but. All of these cars have become cult classics in their own right, in spite of, or because of, their gauge clusters - depending on your point of view.

I guess where I'm going is this: The Elio won't be the first vehicle on the market with a cluster that's not a circle and needle. Nor will it be the last. It won't be the weirdest either. I give Elio a lot of credit for at least trying to get a bit of style in a sub $7k car. If it has some meaning for Paul, I can get behind that. It's his car company after all.

I know there are as many cluster designs as there are vehicles that have been produced. Please post the strangest or least traditional that you know of so that we all can appreciate them.

Top Bottom