• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
3-wheeler-dash-626x469.jpg

Other than wiring, there's virtually no plastic in or on any of Morgan's cars.
One worthwhile exception was made for the start button in the 3-wheeler.
d4a4b335.jpg

Lovely.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3-wheeler-dash-626x469.jpg

Other than wiring, there's virtually no plastic in or on any of Morgan's cars.
One worthwhile exception was made for the start button in the 3-wheeler.
d4a4b335.jpg
I like the retro look Morgan dash in the retro look Morgan.......they are complimentary design features. The retro Elgin dash in the aero styled Elio is off from what should be more complimentary. It's what you get when an engineer is involved in design rather than solely engineering. I know it's PE's dream. I'll buy and drive it irregardless.

Has anyone seen chatter on Elio's FB regarding the Elgin dash photo? I posted a photo on Elio FB this am, but can't seem to find the post back with any replys.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I really and truly hate about this dash is its hard-to-read numbers and display, and, even worse, the huge amount of interpolating the driver has to do. 20 MPH between digits (40-60-80-100 means you DO NOT KNOW how fast you are going to within 10-20 percentage points (depending where on the scale you are). This not good for safety, nor for avoiding tickets.

UGH and I say again, UGH. and what's really depressing is Elio has no intention of listening to the chorus of ugh's from stakeholders (that's us, people with skin in the game).

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What I really and truly hate about this dash is its hard-to-read numbers and display, and, even worse, the huge amount of interpolating the driver has to do. 20 MPH between digits (40-60-80-100 means you DO NOT KNOW how fast you are going to within 10-20 percentage points (depending where on the scale you are). This not good for safety, nor for avoiding tickets.

UGH and I say again, UGH. and what's really depressing is Elio has no intention of listening to the chorus of ugh's from stakeholders (that's us, people with skin in the game).

While I agree with that, as has been mentioned by Goofyone, these numbers on this prototype are actually in km/h not mph, as such the spacing and exact size of the numbers is definitely not set in stone and I'd wager is likely to change for the better.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems the exterior styling evolved from the P2, 3, and 4, the interior not so much.

If someone does not beat me too it I will look up a P2 gauge cluster photo or video in the morning as it is actually very different from the P3 and P4 style and there is actually a visible natural evolution in the dashes between the P2 and P3 and then again between the P3 and P4.

While both the P3 and P4 have shared recycled Geo Metro gauge clusters these are merely stand ins for the Elgin design, which I believe was already on the drawing board, The overall dash has actually evolved considerably between these two models for such a small dash. In the P3 all the items on the dash protrude individually from the curving dash and all the lines are curved and blended however on the P4 everything is contained inside that central hump and the curves and blending have given way to flatter surfaces and squared off corners.

With a little more comparison using the photos I have from this weekend I am now nearly certain that the Elgin prototype I got my hands on this weekend is the very same one we saw in Tech Talk v5 back in March however we all thought that was a rendering when in fact it was a physical prototype. My guess is that may have actually been intended to be the P4 dash as we also know they are the same size as Jerome told me that however for whatever reason it never made it into the P4. :cool:

I found photos of all the Elio dashes and made this composite image. From top to bottom P2, P3, P4, and P5(P4+Elgin) rendering:
elio dash progression.jpg

If anyone has a better picture of the P2 dash I would like to see it as I had to screenshot this one from a video.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

While I agree with that, as has been mentioned by Goofyone, these numbers on this prototype are actually in km/h not mph, as such the spacing and exact size of the numbers is definitely not set in stone and I'd wager is likely to change for the better.

Yes you pretty much have to disregard the numbers and marks on the speedo altogether as they are no truly representative of what will be printed on the gauge in the production model.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until this thread I never knew there was a gas cap locator on the dash !, I always just get out and look for it somewhere on the car. Guess that goes to show I really don't pay much attention to the dash display, so it will more easily slide into that area of indifference.
Still not growin on me, but will hopefully serve the purpose. At least it's not like the 84 Vet or Kawi 650R :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I created this image for another thread to show how the Elio dash design has evolved over time. When looking at these you have to also envision the Elgin gauge cluster as part of the design as the Metro gauge clusters were never supposed to be part of the final vehicle.

From top to bottom: P2, P3, P4, P5 rendering
elio dash progression.jpg

If anyone knows of a better photo of the P2 dash please let me know as I had to screenshot the one in the composite from a news video.

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I found photos of all the Elio dashes and made this composite image. From top to bottom P2, P3, P4, and P5(P4+Elgin) rendering:
View attachment 3801

If anyone has a better picture of the P2 dash I would like to see it as I had to screenshot this one from a video.

Not to go too far off-topic, but is that rendering's steering wheel illustrate what the final steering wheel is planned to look like or is that just a placeholder?

Top Bottom