• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes you pretty much have to disregard the numbers and marks on the speedo altogether as they are no truly representative of what will be printed on the gauge in the production model.
I sure hope you're right -- but the style of the thing, no ability to see the whole range and know where you are on it, thanks to that itty bitty window, strikes me as beyond dumb. Maybe the particular font, markings, etc will help, but the basic concept is not sound -- leaving aesthetics out of it, it just plain doesn't make the job of communicating to the driver any easier.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Roger Eller from EMOA on Facebook was also able to see the dash this past weekend and he was actually able to shoot a short video of it in action. One thing to note is that the speedometer will actually likely move at the pace it is shown in most of this video, and likely even slower, as we have to keep in mind that the Elio accelerates from 0-60 in about 10 seconds which on this dash would be 0-100 as this is KPH.

This is what I was hopeing to share as the movement is quite smooth and when renumbered for MPH should be quite easy to read as the readout will not really move as quickly as I think some people believe it will.

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger Eller from EMOA on Facebook was also able to see the dash this past weekend and he was actually able to shoot a short video of it in action. One thing to note is that the speedometer will actually likely move at the pace it is shown in most of this video, or even slower, as we have to keep in mind that the Elio accelerates from 0-60 in about 10 seconds which on this dash would be 0-100 as this is KPH.

My problem is not how fast it will turn but, how much space the numbers take up. Which is going to make it had to tell your exact speed. I know you say the actual speed can be displayed in the Lcd window. If you are forced to do this to read your actual speed then what good is the rest of the cluster?

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is not how fast it will turn but, how much space the numbers take up. Which is going to make it had to tell your exact speed. I know you say the actual speed can be displayed in the Lcd window. If you are forced to do this to read your speed actually then what good is the rest of the cluster?

Remember that all the triple digit numbers you see now will be replaced by double digit MPH numbers which will dramatically increase the spacing available which should make reading the 5 and 10 marks pretty easy. I don't know about you but I don't stare at my gauges to read my MPH down to a single MPH but instead infer my speed in reference to the larger 5's and 10's.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger Eller from EMOA on Facebook was also able to see the dash this past weekend and he was actually able to shoot a short video of it in action. One thing to note is that the speedometer will actually likely move at the pace it is shown in most of this video, and likely even slower, as we have to keep in mind that the Elio accelerates from 0-60 in about 10 seconds which on this dash would be 0-100 as this is KPH.

This is what I was hopeing to share as the movement is quite smooth and when renumbered for MPH should be quite easy to read as the readout will not really move as quickly as I think some people believe it will.
I kinda like it. Keep in mind, when I reach cruising speed I set my cruise control and stay at that speed for a while, and don't really pay much attention to the speedometer after that. That's when I play with the heat or a/c and radio.

Top Bottom