• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger Eller from EMOA on Facebook was also able to see the dash this past weekend and he was actually able to shoot a short video of it in action. One thing to note is that the speedometer will actually likely move at the pace it is shown in most of this video, and likely even slower, as we have to keep in mind that the Elio accelerates from 0-60 in about 10 seconds which on this dash would be 0-100 as this is KPH.

This is what I was hopeing to share as the movement is quite smooth and when renumbered for MPH should be quite easy to read as the readout will not really move as quickly as I think some people believe it will.
Thanks this made it a bit easier to swallow but why did the guy turn the dash on end? Silly wanker.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember that all the triple digit numbers you see now will be replaced by double digit MPH numbers which will dramatically increase the spacing available which should make reading the 5 and 10 marks pretty easy. I don't know about you but I don't stare at my gauges to read my MPH down to a single MPH but instead infer my speed in reference to the larger 5's and 10's.
Unless you have digital gauges -- which most of us don't care for. You need adequate space between the numbers to interpolate your actual mph with any accuracy. You don't, and won't, get that with the Elgin dash. And all that metallic bezel is 100% waste of space as well as an eyesore. Of all the designs they might have chosen, this is the LEAST in tune with contemporary design, let alone forward-looking design. It is retro, kitchy, inefficient, and unsafe.

If you ask, I'll tell you how I really feel.

And how I really feel is -- get me a paint brush or some black duct tape and a skyzmatic. More likely, a Navdi (google them) unit is on its way early next year. I'd rather a digital display than this piece of ugly idiocy.

The Elgin dash is so bad, and will turn off so many people, that it may endanger the long-term success of the project. This is a time when Elio needs to spring for some actual market research, since they prefer not to believe the input from stakeholders like us.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My $6800 dollar Elio will end up costing more then a Tesla. :eek:

the good news is for those who want the base model, an Elio will be available with a sticker price of under $7,000 .... the reality for us is the one we order will come at a higher cost .... I'm OK with that because we can add individual options that we want (don't have to deal with forced packages of options) .... without any listing of the cost of various options, we can't be sure but I suspect ours will fall in the just over/under $10,000 range .... I don't believe there is another vehicle available at that price that can deliver the same performance and option so all's good

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't expect everyone to like this design at all and as I have written on several occasions my preference would also be for standard analog gauges. I even expressed this directly to Elio VP Jerome Vassallo who I can say completely understands the feeling. :)

However having experienced the gauges first hand now I will say that any questions I had about readability have now been alleviated and I do believe that will be the case for many when they see these gauges in person. I believe this enough and had it reinforced by so many people who have changed their position on the gauges after seeing the video that I even contacted Jerome and told him to look at the responses to the video online and that it may be a good idea to reconsider the decision not to install this in the P4. This is unusual for me as I generally try to minimize contacting him directly unless it is something very important.

As I posted on EMOA, where this Elgin talk really took a bad turn, I feel the biggest issue we have is that we really do not have much else to focus on so these issues likely get blown out of proportion. Most people will buy this car for the price and fuel economy and likely will not bother to pay a lot of attention to things such as the gauges or what side the fuel fill is on.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is unusual for me as I generally try to minimize contacting him directly unless it is something very important.
You mean he's not on your speed dial?
I joined the facebook page the other day and was actually surprised that he had added a few comments to some threads. They are watching and participating. I think the one comment that I remember and that stuck out was something about him trying to relax after taking the abuse of people with repeat and hostile questions. (paraphrased) I bet that's a fairly thankless job. It's good to see him with an upbeat attitude, but then again, I guess that's what he gets paid for.
I'm looking forward to meeting him and the team next week in Richmond.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean he's not on your speed dial?
I joined the facebook page the other day and was actually surprised that he had added a few comments to some threads. They are watching and participating. I think the one comment that I remember and that stuck out was something about him trying to relax after taking the abuse of people with repeat and hostile questions. (paraphrased) I bet that's a fairly thankless job. It's good to see him with an upbeat attitude, but then again, I guess that's what he gets paid for.
I'm looking forward to meeting him and the team next week in Richmond.
He is a very positive person and very friendly and easy to converse with so I am sure you will enjoy meeting him like so many of us have. His wife Pam and the rest of the team are also all great people.

This weekend I even had the chance to discuss how he deals with what we are taking about and after several decades in sales he simply understands he won't sell the car to everyone, it is impossible to avoid some land mines along the way, and he can't please everyone all the time so he simply must remain positive and work through any issues.

Trust me he was a lot more calm over that Elgin firestorm than even I was as I was a bit down over starting that whole mess by posting the photos I did which is how we ended up talking about how he looks at things.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He is a very positive person and very friendly and easy to converse with so I am sure you will enjoy meeting him like so many of us have. His wife Pam and the rest of the team are also all great people.

This weekend I even had the chance to discuss how he deals with what we are taking about and after several decades in sales he simply understands he won't sell the car to everyone, it is impossible to avoid some land mines along the way, and he can't please everyone all the time so he simply must remain positive and work through any issues.

Trust me he was a lot more calm over that Elgin firestorm than even I was as I was a bit down over starting that whole mess by posting the photos I did which is how we ended up talking about how he looks at things.
Yeah, I noticed you got your dander up a bit there! ;)

Top Bottom