• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL C'mon Ekh, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel? :D
Since I'm a model of restraint, I will refrain from quoting John Ruskin (most famous art critic of the 19th century):

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.”

Nor will I quote him again, when Ruskin says, "In general, pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes."

I won't bother quoting Louis Sullivan, a very practical architect who said, "form should follow function."

I won't take the trouble to refer Mr. Elio to the works of Edwin Tufte of Yale, whose classic treatise on "the visual display of quantitative information" introduces the concept of "data ink," meaning, the amount of any display that is actually communicating information. It's a pity, because Mr. Tufte has it dead right -- the Elgin dash has a tiny percentage of data ink. It is bad design, in Mr. Tufte's terms.

So instead of using the more precise ideas of others I'll just use my own words: The Elgin dash is a personal design expression and is out of place as a functional element in a truly inspired, future-facing automobile. It is distracting, ugly, uninformative, quaint, inaccurate, hard to read, and wastes space.

In sum, I don't like it -- and for very good reasons both practical and aesthetic. If only Elio were in the mood to listen to all those of us who have plunked down money and say, with me, "scrap it."

Guess that does it for this topic, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since I'm a model of restraint, I will refrain from quoting John Ruskin (most famous art critic of the 19th century):

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.”

Nor will I quote him again, when Ruskin says, "In general, pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes."

I won't bother quoting Louis Sullivan, a very practical architect who said, "form should follow function."

Nope, I'll just use my own words: The Elgin dash is a personal design expression and is out of place as a functional element in a truly inspired, future-facing automobile. It is distracting, ugly, uninformative, quaint, inaccurate, hard to read, and wastes space.

In sum, I don't like it -- and for very good reasons both practical and aesthetic. If only Elio were in the mood to listen to all those of us who have plunked down money and say, with me, "scrap it."

So Ekh. I'm not following. Do you like the Elgin or not?

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I won't take the trouble to refer Mr. Elio to the works of Edwin Tufte of Yale, whose classic treatise on "the visual display of quantitative information" introduces the concept of "data ink," meaning, the amount of any display that is actually communicating information. It's a pity, because Mr. Tufte has it dead right -- the Elgin dash has a tiny percentage of data ink. It is bad design, in Mr. Tufte's terms.

So instead of using the more precise ideas of others I'll just use my own words: The Elgin dash is a personal design expression and is out of place as a functional element in a truly inspired, future-facing automobile. It is distracting, ugly, uninformative, quaint, inaccurate, hard to read, and wastes space.

On what basis do you assume that you are in the majority?
Unless you go with the noisiest group should prevail.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thing missing is a CEL. With the cat there should be two O2 sensors, to trigger the CEL. Is a CEL a minimum legal requirement or is it just a 'nice to have' item?

At this point, I am thinking that this Elgin dash is not the exact dash that will be on the production Elio.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thing missing is a CEL. With the cat there should be two O2 sensors, to trigger the CEL. Is a CEL a minimum legal requirement or is it just a 'nice to have' item?

At this point, I am thinking that this Elgin dash is not the exact dash that will be on the production Elio.

Speaking on behalf of the not so gearheaded, what is the (a) CEL?

Top Bottom