• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I predict that Paul will change the dash for the 2017 model and all Elio's with the Elgin dash will become a collectors item making them worth a lot more in the distant future. Just my 2 cents
As opposed to what? The 2016 model? If production even starts in 2016, it will be the last quarter and they will be 2017 models. There will be no 2016 model. I would bet a nickel on that!

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Partial update.

I have had an initial contact and have submitted the following:

Hello,

Thanks for writing.

There is discontent with the Elgin instrument cluster design. There are quite a few people who have expressed concern trying to focus their eyes on numbers spinning past the index position of a gauge while they are operating the vehicle. You can read about this concern on elioowners.com - mainly from people who we can call very experienced drivers. I do not have an accurate census on this issue, but you will quickly pick up on the disappointment.

There does seem to be a clear business opportunity for either your supplier or another instrument cluster manufacturer in solving this issue. I don't think the Elgin design will be a complete barrier to adoption, but given that you are trying to create a whole new sub-class of transportation in the U.S. market, it seems odd to start up a company ignoring the concerns of people who have the capital and the interest in purchasing your forthcoming product. These ambassadors will bring quite a bit of exposure to your product and your brand. Their efforts will be diminished by a significant sub-culture who were compelled to hack-in an instrument cluster.

It should be patently clear that I'd like to see an alternative cluster and am interested enough to launch this discussion with you. I and others have been considering replacement options, but to my knowledge, no one has formally asked whether you or your supplier are willing to resolve this issue. To that end, I have three questions:
1) Will you entertain offering an alternative to the Elgin?
2) Will your supplier entertain offering an alternative?
3) If neither company will support an alternative directly, would you release the specification so that a clean alternative could be driven independently?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Art Barbeau

Top Bottom