• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

BriansElio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked up the picture of both dashes after wondering what an 'Elgin' dash was... I see where Mr. Elio had wanted that more or less for sentimental reasons. Any idea on what the final dash/interior layout will really look like and how the instrument cluster will look within that? I keep assuming that the latest prototype is how it's more or less going to look. The Elgin dash may look more at home in the production model.
My Sonic dash is rather weird so I don't know that it'll make a lot of difference to me.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They haven't released pictures of the "final" dash yet. The renderings of the Lord Elgin dash has people riled up (and I don't blame them). The point of the Lord Elgin dash was to honor Paul's father AND, I suspect, keep the dash simple to manufacture. They'd only have to provide a couple of standard warning lights and two or three small, simple LED screens in order to make the LE dash. I'd rather have a needle to watch sweep but if they insist on going all digital, an instantaneous mileage display would be really cool.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They haven't released pictures of the "final" dash yet. The renderings of the Lord Elgin dash has people riled up (and I don't blame them).

info appreciated .... one can't help but wonder if the powers who be are listening

Jim

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just to make sure I know what is being considered, is the dash shown in the picture below the one that is projected to be installed ?View attachment 2459

if not, can someone post a picture of the one they are going to install ?

Jim

The P4 dash has everything I need and nothing I don't. I hope the final design looks a lot like it.

White legends on black, and no goofy Elgin design, please!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The P4 dash has everything I need and nothing I don't. I hope the final design looks a lot like it.

White legends on black, and no goofy Elgin design, please!

having no choice but to go with whatever they decide to install, I do like the one shown .... if they go with the Elgin, I could live it until some after market outfit came up with an alternative

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I like companies to stir things up and go outside the norm, at first glance, the new gauge cluster seems too sparse. Is MPG displayed on the new cluster?

No and I would not expect this to be standard either. Due to cost reasons I would not expect to see any more 'gauges' beyond Tach, Speedo, and fuel with everything else being indicated via cheaper idiot lights and the odometer display. As EM is focused on providing an inexpensive base vehicle and also providing upgrades to those who want them it is likely we will see optional gauge clusters and/or more advanced trip computers available at additional cost.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elgin Dash, Yes or No.

If No, then what?
Elio_interior.jpg

upload_2014-4-27_21-0-22-jpeg.731.jpg

Here ya go JEBar. Better late than never!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No and I would not expect this to be standard either. Due to cost reasons I would not expect to see any more 'gauges' beyond Tach, Speedo, and fuel with everything else being indicated via cheaper idiot lights and the odometer display. As EM is focused on providing an inexpensive base vehicle and also providing upgrades to those who want them it is likely we will see optional gauge clusters and/or more advanced trip computers available at additional cost.

If they do the dash instrumentation via bluetooth outputs from the onboard data bus, they can do a dash where YOU choose what to display for a cost of about 5.00 plus the blank panel. See the various apps that read and display data on your cellphone for examples of how this can be done -- Torque, for instance, on the Android platform. Maybe you could use the app to configure your dash from a series of templates; app tells car "display template 1" which shows analogue instruments for tach, speedo, oil pressure, mpg, and clock (just for instance) in red against a black background Template 2 could be the same info white on black, etc. All the templates would have key information, but, heck, for those who like idiot lights, one of the templates could display those instead of instruments!

I have no idea how expensive it would be to go this route, but my instinct tells me you could do the whole thing -- 7" screen, blue tooth connector, and phone app for under $40 - $50 each ... maybe a lot less in the quantities Elio will be ordering. What do y'all think?

Top Bottom