• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Headlights

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll try it. After 6 rounds of corneal surgery, my eye has the texture of a supremo pizza .... glare is a significant problem.
I hear you.

Just had cataract surgery a few months back and the lense that was used in my right eye is a bit smaller than it should have been. At night as pupil dialates, lights looks like star burst. So I turn interior light to reduce pupil dialation.

Prior to surgery when an on coming vehicle approached with the high beams I would focus my gaze on right shoulder till the high beams were turned off of vehicle passed.

Some drivers are inconsiderate in not turning high beams off when they are flashed. For some of these idiots after flashing twice I leave my High beams on as well

If road is lit up enough, if after flashing them twice they do not turn off their High beams I turn my lights off and just use running lights...that usually gets their attention.

When I had a 70 Celica I could turn all lights off and I could see some some on coming vehicles freak out cause they would apply their brakes.

Yeah I know.... dumb on my part but I valued my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ekh

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another issue with headlights: some cars have DRLs (daytime running lights) which can be switched off. I hope the Elio does, it can make it longer between bulb replacements. If not, I am sure someone will come up with a mod to take care of that.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another issue with headlights: some cars have DRLs (daytime running lights) which can be switched off. I hope the Elio does, it can make it longer between bulb replacements. If not, I am sure someone will come up with a mod to take care of that.

This will be interesting. Many, perhaps all, states require motorcycles to have their headlights on at all times. I hope that won't apply to the elio if it gets classified as an autocycle.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not quite sure where the Elio fits in to the legality of motorcycles as far as lighting is concerned. I believe it's a federal law all street legal motorcycles are required to run with headlights on at all times. I don't think motorcycles built since back in the seventies even have an on/off switch for the headlights. Honda uses a relay to turn the lights off when the starter is engaged so that would be a simple way to disable the "always on" headlights. Might be a good choice if LEDs are used for DLRs.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Another reason for Elio be using LED Bulbs

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use Sylvania Ultra Silver Stars for the highbeam and low beam.
If the high, shuts off the low beam when they're on, I add a relay so all bulb elements light (pretty bright)
But for driving lights I plan on the LED's like these:
LED "Work light" <ha ha> (they can't call them driving lights, little too bright)
little 8 bulb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EA0ZB7...TF8&colid=1SCNEKMMZFQTE&coliid=I1PU19YP7RW1EU

4x4 spot or flood

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-waterproof-Off-road-Auxiliary-Driving/dp/B00FWD83RW/ref=pd_sim_263_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51F161YgDeL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=26V2PV327PSTCHEZC0KB
So long as they're properly designed to cut off clear so that other drivers coming at you are not blinded by your flame throwers.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not quite sure where the Elio fits in to the legality of motorcycles as far as lighting is concerned. I believe it's a federal law all street legal motorcycles are required to run with headlights on at all times. I don't think motorcycles built since back in the seventies even have an on/off switch for the headlights.

You are correct in that motorcycles have not had the ability to turn off the headlight (in the US) since the mid 1970s. I don't know the exact year, but my 1972 Honda CL350 has a headlight switch. Our recently departed 1975 Honda CB200T did not.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope the Elio does, it can make it longer between bulb replacements. If not, I am sure someone will come up with a mod to take care of that.
The mod will likely cost as much as 20 years worth of replacement halogen bulbs. The math doesn't work.

While I would like LED headlights too, it's not a "Must Have".
Whatever headlights Elio chooses will be subservient to the 4 "Must Haves".

Top Bottom