• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio/iav Engine Dyno Testing

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand the concern for keeping news positive, but I also appreciate the value for being as open as possible when there are problems. As manager of technical PR for a chunk of GE, this was an ongoing battle. Sometimes the lawyers and engineers won, and kept things concealed -- which was fine until someone figured out things HAD been kept quiet. Sometimes it was possible to publicize something that did have some risk of failure -- and the kudos for doing that were worth it.

In this particular case, testing will take a long time. But getting the engine running -- just plain running -- is a huge milestone. If the engine is in fact operating on the dyno, Elio should trumpet that fact. It's a big deal, and, psychologically at least, suggests that they CAN make this project work. (Of course, members of this forum do believe that, don't we?). It is not necessary at this point to be specific -- today we operated between 2800 and 4800 rpm, and nothing broke -- though I for one would like to see such info.

How you handle delays and failures says a lot about your corporate culture. Nikon, for instance, refuses to admit even the most blatant technical problems with their high-end cameras -- but word eventually gets around, and if you should happen to send your camera in for a repair, gee, that unannounced problem goes away. This is characteristic of Japanese business culture; they just can't stand losing face even when the facts are obvious.

Engineering-driven organizations don't like admitting to glitches, because they think that casts doubt on their skills and on the company's credibility. But you gain huge PR points if a problem is admitted to -- when the solution has been reached, or when expectations are so high that delays give people the willies (which happens here all the time). "We thought we had the widget design perfect, but we found in testing that it wasn't. So we delayed testing while widget 2.0 was machined, and now we're hitting the original estimates plus 3%" is a terrific story to tell -- because it makes the company look honest, conscientious, open, and responsible.

Nobody should expect perfection first time every time in any engineering development project. But meeting the expectations you have set is very important, and worth a little discomfort. So on balance, if there is more than a trivial (e.g., a week or two) delay in getting testing going, or if something minor is off AND BEING FIXED, I would encourage Elio to at least acknowledge the delay. When you have been open til now, and have generally met your promises, extended silence breeds doubt.

So if you were Elio, which would you rather have -- an image of perfection, or a public that cheers you on as you fight the battles that inevitably come up?

There are plusses and minuses both ways, but I tend to encourage open communications about difficulties -- not mea culpa or breast-beating, but matter of fact, factual, "this didn't meet our initial goals, so here's what were doing about it" communications get you more points than you lose.

Again, it's a matter of culture. Elio does more than most companies to be up-front. But they are engineering-driven, and that means perfectionist and worried about looking good. The irony is that you look better with a beauty mark or two than with a botox-plastic complexion!

Here endeth the lesson.

CaribbeanZombie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My only issue with regards to the dyno testing, is that PE gave the date of Nov 15th the have the engine on the dyno. When I questioned Elio about it, they just sluffed me off & basically told me my source wasn't reputable & they would be astounded if I could find a reputable source for my info!

First off, I was simply asking a question & they immediately went on the defensive by insulting me. I will say, I have had a bit of communication with Elio through FB & this was the first & only time I have ever been treated like that! When I showed him where I found the info (interview with PE), he then said that would be a question for engineering & his time would be better spent doing something else (other than trying to find an answer to my question). I was definitely upset over how they resonded to my question...very unlike Elio communication.

I'm chalking it up to the guess that they were hungover from partying the night before...celebrating the successful start of the dyno testing! :D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will say, I have had a bit of communication with Elio through FB & this was the first & only time I have ever been treated like that! When I showed him where I found the info (interview with PE), he then said that would be a question for engineering & his time would be better spent doing something else (other than trying to find an answer to my question). I was definitely upset over how they resonded to my question...very unlike Elio communication.

my hunch is, whoever answered on behalf of EM didn't get the memo ... when you provided your source, it would be easy to understand him being embarrassed and reacting the way he did instead of the way he should have .... we have only had one direct exchange with EM via Facebook and the tone of company rep's response was much as you outlined .... since them, we no longer pay any attention to them in that format

Jim

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, I think a little nay saying and bad news is good for us. We should not want to be raised is an enviroment that is to clean or to sterile. or we wont be able to cope with the real world when bad news does happen.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My only issue with regards to the dyno testing, is that PE gave the date of Nov 15th the have the engine on the dyno. When I questioned Elio about it, they just sluffed me off & basically told me my source wasn't reputable & they would be astounded if I could find a reputable source for my info!

First off, I was simply asking a question & they immediately went on the defensive by insulting me. I will say, I have had a bit of communication with Elio through FB & this was the first & only time I have ever been treated like that! When I showed him where I found the info (interview with PE), he then said that would be a question for engineering & his time would be better spent doing something else (other than trying to find an answer to my question). I was definitely upset over how they resonded to my question...very unlike Elio communication.

I'm chalking it up to the guess that they were hungover from partying the night before...celebrating the successful start of the dyno testing! :D
You are a very good man, CaribbeanZombie. I don't care what "they" say about you; I love your positive attitude!

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand the concern for keeping news positive, but I also appreciate the value for being as open as possible when there are problems. As manager of technical PR for a chunk of GE, this was an ongoing battle. Sometimes the lawyers and engineers won, and kept things concealed -- which was fine until someone figured out things HAD been kept quiet. Sometimes it was possible to publicize something that did have some risk of failure -- and the kudos for doing that were worth it.

In this particular case, testing will take a long time. But getting the engine running -- just plain running -- is a huge milestone. If the engine is in fact operating on the dyno, Elio should trumpet that fact. It's a big deal, and, psychologically at least, suggests that they CAN make this project work. (Of course, members of this forum do believe that, don't we?). It is not necessary at this point to be specific -- today we operated between 2800 and 4800 rpm, and nothing broke -- though I for one would like to see such info.

How you handle delays and failures says a lot about your corporate culture. Nikon, for instance, refuses to admit even the most blatant technical problems with their high-end cameras -- but word eventually gets around, and if you should happen to send your camera in for a repair, gee, that unannounced problem goes away. This is characteristic of Japanese business culture; they just can't stand losing face even when the facts are obvious.

Engineering-driven organizations don't like admitting to glitches, because they think that casts doubt on their skills and on the company's credibility. But you gain huge PR points if a problem is admitted to -- when the solution has been reached, or when expectations are so high that delays give people the willies (which happens here all the time). "We thought we had the widget design perfect, but we found in testing that it wasn't. So we delayed testing while widget 2.0 was machined, and now we're hitting the original estimates plus 3%" is a terrific story to tell -- because it makes the company look honest, conscientious, open, and responsible.

Nobody should expect perfection first time every time in any engineering development project. But meeting the expectations you have set is very important, and worth a little discomfort. So on balance, if there is more than a trivial (e.g., a week or two) delay in getting testing going, or if something minor is off AND BEING FIXED, I would encourage Elio to at least acknowledge the delay. When you have been open til now, and have generally met your promises, extended silence breeds doubt.

So if you were Elio, which would you rather have -- an image of perfection, or a public that cheers you on as you fight the battles that inevitably come up?

There are plusses and minuses both ways, but I tend to encourage open communications about difficulties -- not mea culpa or breast-beating, but matter of fact, factual, "this didn't meet our initial goals, so here's what were doing about it" communications get you more points than you lose.

Again, it's a matter of culture. Elio does more than most companies to be up-front. But they are engineering-driven, and that means perfectionist and worried about looking good. The irony is that you look better with a beauty mark or two than with a botox-plastic complexion!

Here endeth the lesson.
Well said , a little tidbit would be nice either way just to show progress. Acknowledging a problem or not performing up to wanted standard is integrity and that would make me feel like my own best interest where being protected. This is the beginning after all. Now if it begins to be a pattern that's different.

Top Bottom