• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio/iav Engine Dyno Testing

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Wow! I was away for 48 hours... This is a fun thread. Of course I never thought testing would be done on a Saturday... Just quoting the big man Mr. Paul Elio... Heck for all we know they have already run it on the dyno multiple times. As someone mentioned in an earlier post: They are being very careful to show developments AFTER they happen successfully. A valid strategy considering the multitude of nay-sayers out there. I'm just excited to see a Youtube video of that lil' 3-banger revving it up on the dyno making a HUGE 60bhp.. I hope the straps are strong enough to reign in all of that power and torque!! LOL!

One of these might make a nice engine option for a Elio

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, could you explain the following: everybody is waiting for the engine status updates (that's probably the main thing that will either make or break this car), there is obvious nervousness among Elio enthusiasts, the weekly number of reservations is going down, and still it is as if EM guys don't see all this... Why don't they provide frequent engine updates ? Instead, they are opting for tons of other, much less relevant news.

Elio Motors takes a long term view on things and are not overly worried about short term nervousness among Elio enthusiasts or the numbers from week to week or even month to month as these do vary wildly. While EM does try and keep us informed they are also very aware of the fact that it is more damaging to their reputation to release information which they later need to retract than it is to wait and release information only after they are as certain as they can be that the information will not change.

This long term view and the resulting careful release of information can be very frustrating for those of us following along closely however if you read through some of our discussion threads and see the mess that results even when unofficially leaked milestones and/or dates are missed it becomes very obvious why Elio Motors operates the way they do. As someone who sometimes comes across this unofficial information I can tell you that I have learned to only post a fraction of what I learn even if it comes from very reliable sources as this information is frequently subject to change and sharing such information has resulted in issues on this forum.

An interesting story which ties into this discussion is that I actually had a chance to discuss the estimate for the beginning of production with EM VP Jerome Vassallo as that is a big obvious exception to way EM normally handles information. He told me that they wish it was not necessary to provide a production start date so far in advance as while they do try to make a good estimate they are also aware of the fact that there are way too many variables which need to fall into place before production can begin to make it more than an educated guess.

We all know that the number of people willing to make a reservation would drop dramatically if they were merely told that production would begin when everything was ready sometime in the near future. The problem is that without tens of thousands of reservations it makes it much harder for EM to prove that people are truly interested in this project which they need to do in order to secure the large amount of funding it takes to complete a project of this magnitude.

mikeivk

Elio Fan
Reaction score
goofyone, I hope you are right. But look at the YouTube video, all comments are about losing faith, factory being empty, etc. So, I think, their current PR strategy does not work. They need to start informing everybody (including investors), on a regular basis, about their engine status, what other parts still need to be designed, etc. Even when there are some hiccups, they need to be open about them. Just showing the P4 riding here and there does not do the trick any more.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
goofyone, I hope you are right. But look at the YouTube video, all comments are about losing faith, factory being empty, etc. So, I think, their current PR strategy does not work. They need to start informing everybody (including investors), on a regular basis, about their engine status, what other parts still need to be designed, etc. Even when there are some hiccups, they need to be open about them. Just showing the P4 riding here and there does not do the trick any more.
While I share your concern and frustration, I ALSO comprehend the MANY hurdles both large and small that a company like this has to meet and over come to get their product to market. . . . . So I bite my tongue, and work VERY hard at trying to remain patient and positive.

The first and hardest step was getting past putting the $1000 dollars down, but that has now been so long ago, that I no longer miss it, have written it off.

The rest is really easy now. I'm on auto cruise: if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, then I'm sure that I will find something else to trash my money on. :rolleyes: :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goofyone is spot on. There isn't much more to report on the engine until IAV has completed testing. Elio Motors is surprisingly open in the overall process to production.

Here's my take on a complicated project of this magnitude................production will begin when everything is ready in the near future.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Goofyone is spot on. There isn't much more to report on the engine until IAV has completed testing.

agree

Elio Motors is surprisingly open in the overall process to production.

disagree .... they have been appropriately guarded with their release of info .... while leaks do occur, they closely manage what info is releases and what is withheld .... I think they have learned over time that they have to do so

Here's my take on a complicated project of this magnitude................production will begin when everything is ready in the near future.

the good news is, they have developed a devoted (that's putting it lightly) following that will stick with them through the process

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Many people do not have faith. In anything, let alone a start-up vehicle company. :) No matter what Elio does for PR strategy, there will always be comments from folks about losing faith, factory being empty, wasting money on a tour, how come more vehicles haven't been built yet, etc.

EM may be informing investors on a regular basis, but we wouldn't know for sure. It would take a huge effort and several employees' time, to track what parts still need to be designed, what hiccups are out there, what is coming up next, what are the reasons for the hiccups.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi Ronnie. Welcome to the forum!

Probably info will be out about a week after some level of testing is done. And that's only if testing has been going for several weeks. If a test runs 1000 hrs, that takes us to Christmas time, that is if the testing has started a few days ago. One would think several levels of testing will be done.

So it's all an educated guess for now. Would be best I think to see the calendar flip to 2015 before we wonder how the testing is going. :) Testing could certainly continue into Feb and March.

There are many of us like you, very anxious to hear how the dynamometer likes the engine!

Top Bottom