• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand that Elio isn't going to change their business plan, and I've got no problem with that. I just love the idea of such a lightweight, affordable platform to goof around with. As silly as it sounds, my plan is to drop in an outboard power head from work. It won't be any heavier, and I think a 115 HP Elio will be a riot, and still get pretty solid MPG's.
The Elio is more affordable with the engine included than kit cars. Buy one and goof around to your hearts content and I'd like to see the end result. I'm hoping to see somebody retrofit it to Electric. It's not silly at all.........sounds like a blast.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 100% confident that the mentioned retrofit will happen.

A retrofit I'm considering would leave most of the Elio intact, but do an in-hub electric motor in the rear with just enough battery to use it for an on-ramp acceleration boost or other short duration high acceleration situations.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm 100% confident that the mentioned retrofit will happen.

A retrofit I'm considering would leave most of the Elio intact, but do an in-hub electric motor in the rear with just enough battery to use it for an on-ramp acceleration boost or other short duration high acceleration situations.
I'm all in with that idea! Protean Electric is developing a hub motor to fit inside a 15" wheel that is supposed to be on the market in 2015........just in time for the Elio. I wonder about the fit.
image.jpg

JF

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all in with that idea! Protean Electric is developing a hub motor to fit inside a 15" wheel that is supposed to be on the market in 2015........just in time for the Elio. I wonder about the fit.
View attachment 1832
This has a regenerative braking system that recovers 85% of the kinetic energy that could be used to charge ultracapacitors which are more compact and lighter than batteries.

Last edited:

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I totally understand that Elio isn't going to change their business plan, and I've got no problem with that. I just love the idea of such a lightweight, affordable platform to goof around with. As silly as it sounds, my plan is to drop in an outboard power head from work. It won't be any heavier, and I think a 115 HP Elio will be a riot, and still get pretty solid MPG's.
Send us pics as they are trying to get it out of the ditch, that will be a riot for us to see!

Top Bottom