• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Seeing that Elio Motors is not likely to raise its 200M by next year". Can you expound on where/how you cam to this conclusion?

It is my opinion based on trend analysis. Even being generous, the volume rate of new depositers is pretty pathetic, and the rate of money raising is waaaaaaay behind schedule. The only way they pull off funding is if it somehow goes radically exponential in the next 100 days (if you don't see a second derivative curvature within 50 days, it very likely can never happen). These are my opinions only--based solely on their past performance and my tracking of the math.

Everyone here hopes I am dreadfully wrong--me, too.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Take this with a pinch of salt since it's on the manufacturer's site, but given the company referenced, not too much salt :)

Whilst it is true to say that the vehicle dynamic performance was degraded by the increase in unsprung mass, the degree to which this was noticeable was small and could be said to have moved the overall dynamic performance of the test vehicle from class leading to mid class. Further more, the understanding gained from this study has led Lotus to believe that the small performance deficit could be largely recovered through design changes to suspension compliance bushings, top mounts, PAS characteristics and damping, all part of a typical new vehicle tuning program.

Add the powerful benefits of active torque control and Lotus’s finding make a strong argument for the vehicle dynamics benefits of hub motors as an EV drivetrain.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my opinion based on trend analysis. Even being generous, the volume rate of new depositers is pretty pathetic, and the rate of money raising is waaaaaaay behind schedule. The only way they pull off funding is if it somehow goes radically exponential in the next 100 days (if you don't see a second derivative curvature within 50 days, it very likely can never happen). These are my opinions only--based solely on their past performance and my tracking of the math.

Everyone here hopes I am dreadfully wrong--me, too.
Mr. Snick,
Trend analysis is based on examining charts, tables and in this case, financial statements.
Please share this information and the calculations with us so we can better understand your prediction.
Thank you sir.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio pricing is predicated on supplier relationships and very precise engineering on a SYSTEM basis, not a parts basis. It also depends on repeatability and volume to achieve pricing goals. In addition, the assembly process has to be very efficient

I really don't think a "kit" could be sold for anything like the price of the completed Elio, nor could it achieve the quality levels of the assembled car. It would cost more and deliver less -- not the goal of Paul Elio and company!

You might be able to have a peppier car that still got good mileage, and maybe even better handling, but it would not be cheap, would require a ton of your labor to complete, and would finally be ... a kit car!

I'll wait, thanks.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a kit, there would be no financing. And the Insurance would not be as inexpensive. The engine would not be developed either. None of the vendors would create that low volume price. The number of people willing to take on such a project is low, but is much higher than the number who would actually complete a kit car. It would do very little for the world, except as an example of the kid of car that could exist, well maybe.
Most people who do a kit car will build something sporty, or quirky. My project, the CCC and maybe a XR3 are some of the very few in this category of ultra high mileage format. The question is a common thought but to me still a very unrealistic, in fact, a crazy question.

Top Bottom